Poll: Elixir of Giant Growth in RP. What are your thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account

Elixir of Giant Growth in RP. Yay or Nay?

I haven't RP'd for a time so I don't know if that's changed, but there was a time when Elixir of Giant Growth was commonly associated with, well, bad RP. And more often than not they were Level 58 Death Knights. My friends and I took to calling these "Mega DKs" for our own amusement, but that's a story for another time...

My question to you is: what is your personal view on using the elixir (or other size-modifying appliances) in roleplay? Do you condemn or condone it? Or do you simply not care?
    Last edited by ercarp; 2016-04-21 at 04:36 AM.

It's fine. In fact, I like people who actively pursue methods like this to switch up from usual RP. If this is how they RP, yes, it's fine by me. I'm not going to shun someone for how they want to portray their character. If they craft/buy enough potions to maintain the appearance, then they're dedicated enough to their character imo.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

I imagine it'd be useful in RP for the purpose of creating half-human half-gnome babies... *cough*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Honestly, it annoys me. These days it's not DKs anymore. It's just orcs and Taurens. Lately orcs less. But it still seems every Tauren in a city, especially those outside of Thunder Bluff, is gigantic. We get it. You are big.

My problem isn't even that they are enormous (except when I am fishing and they are in the way). It's that its way too common to be in any way interesting. It's only done on huge races anyway. I've never seen an elf RP as being unnaturally huge. So clearly the intent isn't to be large for their race, but to be large in general.

Silvermoon especially just seems like Thunder Bluff banished the tallest 2% of their population, and they all settled down there.

There's just too much. There's no sense of wonder to it. No uniqueness. I don't shun them of course. RP is RP. But I sigh whenever I see it. It doesn't add to the character, but takes away appeal from it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    Honestly, it annoys me. These days it's not DKs anymore. It's just orcs and Taurens. Lately orcs less. But it still seems every Tauren in a city, especially those outside of Thunder Bluff, is gigantic. We get it. You are big.

My problem isn't even that they are enormous (except when I am fishing and they are in the way). It's that its way too common to be in any way interesting. It's only done on huge races anyway. I've never seen an elf RP as being unnaturally huge. So clearly the intent isn't to be large for their race, but to be large in general.

Silvermoon especially just seems like Thunder Bluff banished the tallest 2% of their population, and they all settled down there.

There's just too much. There's no sense of wonder to it. No uniqueness. I don't shun them of course. RP is RP. But I sigh whenever I see it. It doesn't add to the character, but takes away appeal from it.
    In germany, we have 3 meter Worgen in Stormwind and there were times, when the average size of a human male was around 1,9-2m. I felt really tiny with a 1,72 male.

Deleted
    Well, a 1,72 male IS small for a guy in the real world, in most of Europe at least. In Denmark it's 10 centimetres below average.

Giant Growth elixirs, well largely depends, if someone is playing an orc/ogre hybrid, I'd see it as a requirement to use giant growth elixir. If it's your average worgen or whatever, I'd question it but largely not bother with it as it'd be quite hypocritical for me to condemn as I have RP'ed very tall humans for a long time now, though I don't use giant growth to show that off anymore. Largely I personally think it useless to show off your character's height by use of a growth elixir, unless they're exceptionally tall. Like if a human is let's say 230 cm or taller, I'd think it odd if they didn't use giant growth, but even at 200-210 I'd see it as a waste to use giant growth. Though it's just my opinion.

If you can fit it in, perhaps as some frowned upon enhancement hence why not everyone is using it.
    I am sure someone who has actually done RP can come up with something better than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

It's just another neat cosmetic thing you can use to alter your character. There's nothing "bad" about it in the same way that stereotypes about Death Knights, Silvermoon Blood Elves, or RP in Goldshire are just, well, stereotypes.

People making assumptions about others based on meaningless surface appearances is what leads to hostile and cliquey behaviour, and that's just as apparent in WoW roleplaying communities as it is in the real world.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthecrop View Post
    Well, a 1,72 male IS small for a guy in the real world, in most of Europe at least. In Denmark it's 10 centimetres below average.
    It's smaller than the average, but not too much and I don't wanted him to be big, but like I said, there was a time when in Stormwind RP even 1,90 could be small. It really felt like the Players wanted to compensate their RL height in RP.

Giant Growth elixirs, well largely depends, if someone is playing an orc/ogre hybrid, I'd see it as a requirement to use giant growth elixir. If it's your average worgen or whatever, I'd question it but largely not bother with it as it'd be quite hypocritical for me to condemn as I have RP'ed very tall humans for a long time now, though I don't use giant growth to show that off anymore. Largely I personally think it useless to show off your character's height by use of a growth elixir, unless they're exceptionally tall. Like if a human is let's say 230 cm or taller, I'd think it odd if they didn't use giant growth, but even at 200-210 I'd see it as a waste to use giant growth. Though it's just my opinion.
    At least on my Server, the whole Elixir of Giant Growth had a pretty bad reputation and in my opinion, there is no reason to play a character who is that big that this elixir would be worth it. Every Character who is that big would be more a concept of a handicapped Character because it's normally not natural to be that much bigger than the average and most of the times comes with serious physical problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    On my server it's considered the pinnacle of badrp to use that potion.