Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Mobo died, need a quality one!

I've been having some problems with my PC lately and had a computer tech look at it. Told me my Mobo was done.
    On to my current system specs -fractal design define r5 case -be quiet dark rock 3 cpu cooler. -corsair vengeance lpx ddr4 2400MHz -Intel core i5 6600k lga 1151 -Asus GeForce GTX 970 -Windows 10

Parts I need to replace: -Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Mobo
    I was told not to get the same Mobo because it has many problems and I am kind of skeptic to get another product from gigabyte now.
    My system is fairly new, all bought last year in September.
    I don't know too much about PC parts, still a newbie to building them and such. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also, doing everything from a tablet, apologies for typos or if anything is in a weird format. Not too worried about price, I just want something that is quality and worth the price. Would prefer it to work well with my case too, last mobo didn't really want to go in my case properly and the tech told me it sat improperly in my case and was likely the cause of it dying. Thanks in advance.

15+ Year Old Account
    Boards under warranty, rma it, gigabyte doesnt produce shit boards, even if there is a problem with them unless its physical, then a bios update usually solves it.

What problem is it and how was it diagnosed?

I googled for documented problems for this board and found none reputable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Boards under warranty, rma it, gigabyte doesnt produce shit boards, even if there is a problem with them unless its physical, then a bios update usually solves it.

What problem is it and how was it diagnosed?

I googled for documented problems for this board and found none reputable.
    Board didn't sit in my case right, told me it was more than likely shocked. Sat uneven in the case and you can't simply drill holes in a case without the possibility of hearing noises. I'd like a mobo that I can rely on and will also fit right in my case without issues.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post
    Board didn't sit in my case right, told me it was more than likely shocked. Sat uneven in the case and you can't simply drill holes in a case without the possibility of hearing noises. I'd like a mobo that I can rely on and will also fit right in my case without issues.
    That mobo adheres to construction standards used in every commercially sold case worldwide.
    If it sat uneven it's because the builder was incompetent.

That mobo will fit the case perfectly and if that shop you brought it to built it as well then it's THEIR fault (or your own if you built it).
    Also GigaByte is (IMO at least) the 2nd best mobo manufacturer next to ASUS.

It sounds to me like some stand-offs which are delivered with the case weren't used.

So exactly WHAT is wrong with the mobo, you've only said it's dead ... we're going to need more information then that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    That mobo adheres to construction standards used in every commercially sold case worldwide.
    If it sat uneven it's because the builder was incompetent.

That mobo will fit the case perfectly and if that shop you brought it to built it as well then it's THEIR fault (or your own if you built it).
    Also GigaByte is (IMO at least) the 2nd best mobo manufacturer next to ASUS.

It sounds to me like some stand-offs which are delivered with the case weren't used.

So exactly WHAT is wrong with the mobo, you've only said it's dead ... we're going to need more information then that.
    I built it, first time ever building a PC. The mobo is done for and I need a new one. It gets stuck in a boot loop every time I try to turn on my computer. Can't even get to the bios, there's nothing for me to do. Tried the CMOS battery method (keeping it out for 5-10 minutes). So I'm in need of a new one.

It should still be under warranty so I would suggest you first try that option, nothing wrong with the brand and freak accidents unfortunately do happen, if you really insist on buying a new different brand one Asus has some pretty good ones like https://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-m...abertoothz170s but Gigabyte, MSI and ASrock are also good.

Whichever way you choose to go, just be more careful installing the mobo, not sure how you broke your current one as these things are pretty solid.

10+ Year Old Account
    I built it, first time ever building a PC. The mobo is done for and I need a new one. It gets stuck in a boot loop every time I try to turn on my computer. Can't even get to the bios, there's nothing for me to do. Tried the CMOS battery method (keeping it out for 5-10 minutes). So I'm in need of a new one.
    Just in case as mentioned. Did you put the standoffs for the case (that gets lined up with the mobo), if you didn't then there's a big possibility for things to go wrong. Doesn't matter which brand in this case things will keep going wrong if you don't use em.

Also did you screw in one screw really tight for the mobo before you screwed in other ones? In general you want to just lightly put the screw in all of the holes and then tighten them once all the screws are in place.

15+ Year Old Account
    As stated ... did you use all stand-offs properly?
    Followed by "boot-loop" ... are we referring to seeing the windows logo starting or won't even show the BIOS logo?

Specifics .. we need them like Gollem needs a pair of proper pants and a sun-tan.

10+ Year Old Account
    As stated ... did you use all stand-offs properly?
    Followed by "boot-loop" ... are we referring to seeing the windows logo starting or won't even show the BIOS logo?

Specifics .. we need them like Gollem needs a pair of proper pants and a sun-tan.
    What, no ring?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    What, no ring?
    Gollem don't need no ring, he WANTS IT... MY PRECIOUS...
    But he damn well NEEDS pants as well as a damned sun-tan.

Also I've already stolen the ring to infiltrate into cheerleader's showers.

10+ Year Old Account
    I built it last year in September, worked fine when I first built it. Had a couple issues but they were resolved for the most part. I put all the stands on the board that I could for maximum safety. Stopped working last week, but there were some other problems that I tried to fix.

Started to update some stuff, drivers and such. Updated the firmware because it wouldn't completely boot off. Kept on restarting, wouldn't turn off all the way. Did those updates and it went away. Was able to use my computer fine for a couple of days. After that, booted my computer up a few days later, took me straight to my bios menu. Asked me to update my firmware, I did. Computer shut off and I turned my computer back on about 3-5 seconds later. Maybe I somehow interrupted the update. After that, tried to boot my PC up, wouldn't even get to a point to where I could access the bios screen. Gets stuck in a boot loop, goes on for a few seconds and boots off. Keeps on repeating this process without me doing anything.

15+ Year Old Account
    I built it last year in September, worked fine when I first built it. Had a couple issues but they were resolved for the most part. I put all the stands on the board that I could for maximum safety. Stopped working last week, but there were some other problems that I tried to fix.

Started to update some stuff, drivers and such. Updated the firmware because it wouldn't completely boot off. Kept on restarting, wouldn't turn off all the way. Did those updates and it went away. Was able to use my computer fine for a couple of days. After that, booted my computer up a few days later, took me straight to my bios menu. Asked me to update my firmware, I did. Computer shut off and I turned my computer back on about 3-5 seconds later. Maybe I somehow interrupted the update. After that, tried to boot my PC up, wouldn't even get to a point to where I could access the bios screen. Gets stuck in a boot loop, goes on for a few seconds and boots off. Keeps on repeating this process without me doing anything.
    You only put in the stand-offs that the mobo uses, no more and no less.
    So unless your case is crooked it should fit perfectly... so might wanna look into that properly.

As far as your issue goes ... that mobo is equipped with a Back-up BIOS.
    Try following the procedure on this page to force the Back-up BIOS being flashed back to the main BIOS chip.

DO NOT TOUCH THAT POWER BUTTON, LET IT DO IT ITSELF.

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=9462.0

============

Having said this ... this pertains as to a post from 2012... since I cannot easily find how to trigger the b_bios on the Gaming 3 so it copies it back.
    Check your manual on this or perhaps there's a switch on the Mobo itself.

If it's a simple BIOS fault .. forcing the Back-Up BIOS to kick in may fix your issue.

============

Edit:

GigaByte tends to respond quickly and fast to Tech Support questions by people not retarded.
    So if you can't find the official way of doing it you should shoot over a mail to them asking them how to force it.

Note: When you do this do so from a different mail account than your primary one you'd use for RMA procedures, also a different name.
    Last edited by Evildeffy; 2016-04-25 at 01:29 AM.

You only put in the stand-offs that the mobo uses, no more and no less.
    So unless your case is crooked it should fit perfectly... so might wanna look into that properly.

As far as your issue goes ... that mobo is equipped with a Back-up BIOS.
    Try following the procedure on this page to force the Back-up BIOS being flashed back to the main BIOS chip.

DO NOT TOUCH THAT POWER BUTTON, LET IT DO IT ITSELF.

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=9462.0

============

Having said this ... this pertains as to a post from 2012... since I cannot easily find how to trigger the b_bios on the Gaming 3 so it copies it back.
    Check your manual on this or perhaps there's a switch on the Mobo itself.

If it's a simple BIOS fault .. forcing the Back-Up BIOS to kick in may fix your issue.

============

Edit:

GigaByte tends to respond quickly and fast to Tech Support questions by people not retarded.
    So if you can't find the official way of doing it you should shoot over a mail to them asking them how to force it.

Note: When you do this do so from a different mail account than your primary one you'd use for RMA procedures, also a different name.
    I remember now, OP made a thread some days ago about this problem, already told him there to try to use the 2nd bios option, not sure if he is gonna bother at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    I remember now, OP made a thread some days ago about this problem, already told him there to try to use the 2nd bios option, not sure if he is gonna bother at this point.

Yeah I did make a thread a couple of days ago, tried all the methods but none of them worked. Might just try to RMA it if I still can or just look for a new one.

Never had an issue with gigabyte stuff myself, but i would suggest an asus z170AR.
    https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/Z170-AR/

edit: gigabyte stuff being a video card and some older mobo's