Poll: Agree?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Horde Simple Oldworld PvP idea

Alright, so I've noticed that world PvP is pretty much dead. So I've come up with a very simple way to bring it back.

Every day you would pick up two quest from the battlemasters in your major city. One of the quest would be to attack or defend a small settlement like Crossroads and the other would be to attack or defend a city. To stop this from being a huge clustertruck, they could set up the same system that they have in the world quest system in legion (where anyone on the quest in the area is auto grouped). Also, everyone on the same server would have the same location to attack or defend. The objective of the attack quest could be to kill a "boss" NPC placed at the town (or the leaders for cities) or it could be a "fill the bar" thing with smashing crates and burning inns and stuff ( or a combo of both). The defense quest could be as simple as kill x number of attacker's.

I'm not sure about the rewards, but they could probably be something like the cashes you get from bgs + some honor and maybe armor or relics.

So what are your thoughts?

Deleted
    They alrdy have wpvp quests popping up at max level on the map if i remember correctly.
    So there you go, can can pick those quests if you want it others can do others like petbattles, world bosses and PVE quests.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromage View Post
    They alrdy have wpvp quests popping up at max level on the map if i remember correctly.
    So there you go, can can pick those quests if you want it others can do others like petbattles, world bosses and PVE quests.
    Yes, but I'm specifically talking about old world pvp

Just throwing this out there. Levelling is already pretty shit, pushing max level players to go out into the old world to WPvP for dailies will just promote dickish behaviour in the name of "pvp". Was in Redridge yesterday and every 5 minutes someone would be wiping out the quest NPCs at Lakeshire. Because it's sure fun having your levelling experienced fucked over by some guy who just strolls through the area uncontested killing anyone and everything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt0193 View Post
    Just throwing this out there. Levelling is already pretty shit, pushing max level players to go out into the old world to WPvP for dailies will just promote dickish behaviour in the name of "pvp". Was in Redridge yesterday and every 5 minutes someone would be wiping out the quest NPCs at Lakeshire. Because it's sure fun having your levelling experienced fucked over by some guy who just strolls through the area uncontested killing anyone and everything.
    Did you not know that there's 2 kinds of pvpers? Those who like honest 1vs1 and those who just want to grief.

What if every day they turned a random location in the old world into a FFA PvP location where you could grind Bloody Coin-style currencies just by doing objectiveless battle with other players?

Example:

Monday: Dire Maul Arena (Feralas)
    Tuesday: Ring of Blood (Nagrand)
    Wednesday: Fray Island (Northern Barrens)
    Thursday: Amphitheatre of Anguish (Zul'Drak)
    Friday: Demonfall Canyon (Ashenvale)
    Saturday: Crucible of Carnage (Twilight Highlands)
    Sunday: Temple of the White Tiger (Kun Lai Summit)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt0193 View Post
    They could implement the same phasing they did in the Barrens

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    What if every day they turned a random location in the old world into a FFA PvP location where you could grind Bloody Coin-style currencies just by doing objectiveless battle with other players?

Example:

Monday: Dire Maul Arena (Feralas)
    Tuesday: Ring of Blood (Nagrand)
    Wednesday: Fray Island (Northern Barrens)
    Thursday: Amphitheatre of Anguish (Zul'Drak)
    Friday: Demonfall Canyon (Ashenvale)
    Saturday: Crucible of Carnage (Twilight Highlands)
    Sunday: Temple of the White Tiger (Kun Lai Summit)
    I like this, but I think if they did it they should add a few zone specific objectives because all out ffa get boring after a while without anything to aim for

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletroll View Post
    Did you not know that there's 2 kinds of pvpers? Those who like honest 1vs1 and those who just want to grief.
    Of course I know that, I'm the former. The problem is that dickish behaviour would be encouraged while the benefits of such a system are massively outweighed by the negatives. Also just to note, I'm not pro-peace on PvP servers. I'm all for someone my own level jumping me and having to fight them off. The problem comes from griefing in the name of "pvp", the feeble excuse that's often tossed around is "so log your main brah, fight me", only to see said "pvpers" fly off when it becomes apparent they can't actually beat someone.

This system would just end up being a colossal shitfest in levelling hubs, nothing else. For every person who'd be there legitimately doing the daily there'd be another person wiping out all the low levels, all the quest givers and generally making life shit for the enemy, who would more often than not be low levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Smank View Post
    So... we'd just be reusing the old world for the sake it? Might as well have it be on the Broken Isles instead then, at least there you'll have a valid lore reason to be at war again. Just have Horde and Alliance outposts that are outside of the standard questing experience, successfully taking it out gives your faction a zone buff as well as the daily.

7+ Year Old Account
    The "old" world pvp was built on ganking of characters, who were not the same lvl or gear lvl. It is not fun to be the ganked player, so im really gonna write all "old" world pvp ideas off. Let people battle each other in pvp-zones and let that be that.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

- - - Updated - - -

I like this, but I think if they did it they should add a few zone specific objectives because all out ffa get boring after a while without anything to aim for
    I feel like there are some problems with the 'World PvP' desiring part of the community because:

1. If it's faction based then people are going to group up, creating a one sided experience. Otherwise it's unplayable on servers with bad faction balance.
    - So FFA is a good solution as people really want a chance for a good murderfest.

2. Since FFA PvP is pretty toxic gameplay (see Timeless Isle), the act of engaging in FFA World PvP can't be tied to anything other than people who want to do the content. So putting PvE objectives in a FFA PvP area is going to be bad news.
    - So I suggest something like: "Kill 5 Players without Dying" or something to draw players in, and getting them to fight until they get bored and leave or accomplish their objective.

But other than strictly player kill objectives, other objectives would be pretty lame because people just want to fight each other, not fight over objectives.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but I'm specifically talking about old world pvp
    Taking down low level areas like Crossroads is pointless, a waste of time and gets in the way of people trying to level. If you want to phase it, well OK. Then that would be roughly the equivalent of creating a Barrens BG with Crossroads as the objective. I'd actually be in for that.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletroll View Post
    There is one type, the second are not participating in "PvP" due to the avoidance of a fair fight, and therefore no "versus" component.
    PvP that is not, more Player Versus Vendor.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Needs to be a little more complex or involved but yes. This is the general idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    The "old" world pvp was built on ganking of characters, who were not the same lvl or gear lvl. It is not fun to be the ganked player, so im really gonna write all "old" world pvp ideas off. Let people battle each other in pvp-zones and let that be that.
    lol wut? old world pvp was built on hks and dhks.. no hks are gained by killing low lvl players..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Taking down low level areas like Crossroads is pointless, a waste of time and gets in the way of people trying to level. If you want to phase it, well OK. Then that would be roughly the equivalent of creating a Barrens BG with Crossroads as the objective. I'd actually be in for that.
    Or have low levels be able to flag or unflag for pvp when entering those areas.. how epic would it be to walk into xroads for the first time and see this massive battle waging? Im imgagining getting pumped up myself and it beats walking into a ghost town that xroads(as an example)usually is.
    I remember my first time in Southshore!...
    Last edited by Daymanmb; 2016-04-24 at 08:28 PM.

Enjoyable world PvP needs a combination of formula and chance. Gurubashi and Halaa are still great spots for spontaneous fights, because players who need something — or those who want to ambush them — are likely to run into someone from the opposite faction but don't know who's going to show up, or who they might call on if attacked.

The best setup in my mind is a largish but land-navigable PvP CR zone with 4 or 5 distantly separated locations that house resource/reward macguffins of some sort. The macguffins activate every 2 or 3 hours, so players can plan their arrival, but human nature will discourage most from bothering to camp. The number of macguffins and distance from each other help to distribute players between locations, while CRZ moderates the number of players without preventing an on-like-Donkey-Kong guild-on-guild brawl that occasionally pops up. Add normal resources to attract a small number of farmers, and you've got yourself a recipe for dynamic play.

I'd hoped Ashran was going to be like this, but it was far too small and too choreographed.

Deleted
    Eventually that would eitner be a thing noone does because it's ineffective or something you have to do in order to be on par in PvP even though you hate world-PvP.
    Aside, world-PvP is for limp pricks that can't fight an equal.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    lol wut? old world pvp was built on hks and dhks.. no hks are gained by killing low lvl players..

- - - Updated - - -

Or have low levels be able to flag or unflag for pvp when entering those areas.. how epic would it be to walk into xroads for the first time and see this massive battle waging? Im imgagining getting pumped up myself and it beats walking into a ghost town that xroads(as an example)usually is.
    I remember my first time in Southshore!...
    .... You only needed honor to rise up through the honor system, but most people just stopped at blood guard, got the gear and left the honor system be. After that, people just had their fun at crossroads and Westfall. Trust me, Dishonor did not mean anything, since you had to be insane with your pvp time to get pvp gear.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

I do like the idea. I made a post kind of like that, but where all of the non-relevant stuff becomes basically like progressive BG (like Ashran) but the battle progresses into other zones while providing rewards, other objectives, dailies etc that are gated behind the pvp. Plus it never ends, so if you log on at any time you can jump in, and fight a war with real rewards all over the place. Getting trashed and all alone defending X-Roads? Might be a good time to attack Goldshire. I really like the idea of world pvp as its own form of end game, and I really don't want to fight over one small piece of land for a whole expansion. To me, Ashran had some cool ideas but was ruined by rng, and by being the only real pvp option, and by trapping you with bad groups. I feel like your idea of dailies would fit really well into a bigger system.

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    .... You only needed honor to rise up through the honor system, but most people just stopped at blood guard, got the gear and left the honor system be. After that, people just had their fun at crossroads and Westfall. Trust me, Dishonor did not mean anything, since you had to be insane with your pvp time to get pvp gear.
    Thats a far cry from "the system was designed to gank lowbies" wouldnt you agree?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    Thats a far cry from "the system was designed to gank lowbies" wouldnt you agree?
    No i still stand with my first statement. If you did not care about pvp ranking, which a large majority of the player did not, then you could kill all the lowbies you wanted. Hell, that is what started most pvp-events. People stacked up outside Crossroads, Westfall or Southshore, stod in stealth beside a friend, which was a lowbie himself, who was toggle pvp and just waited for somebody to attack him... Which always ended up in people being spawn camped. I have experienced that on myself, both as the ganker and the ganked. You end up just logging off undtil people get bored. And if people actually came to help you from getting ganked, people just ran away most of the time. The big battles of Southshore and Crossroads are very rare, and that is because people just kept reinforcing each other.

So yeah, its not a far cry from having a system, which a lot of people just used for ganking lowbies. I even understand it. Most classes in Vanilla could not really do pvp, so it was nice as a non-healer druid to actually kill somebody.