Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Never heard of "earning gap", but "wage gap" and "pay gap" are used interchangeably and mean exactly what you call "earning gap". Read on that here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_pay_gap

Especially, go through the citations; you can see the usage of both terms.
    Well I'm not going to argue abut this anymore. The meaning probably varies from country to country but here wage is set amount of money for set amount of hours work done. Earnings is what you take home after overtime and deductions.
    So I will leave it at that and about that wiki page...lol no comment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    I think they are arguing around the same thing. There is a gap between genders. It's just that utilizing the largest number (unadjusted pay gap) is a fundamentally dishonest use of statistics to push a specific agenda.

The smaller 3-6ish percent does exist between genders however. Things like the point of this thread might be correlative factors, but the big take away is that there is no evidence that it's a patriarchal conspiracy to pay women less. You did get the invite to the annual patriarchy meeting to discuss oppressing women, didn't you?
    Well, "patriarchal conspiracy" has never been considered seriously by any reputable source. The problem with these kinds of discussions is that it is virtually impossible to determine the real reasons behind the observable gaps, regardless of how calculated, since many subtle things simply cannot be measured in the real world. Most of the explanations are little more than speculations based on simplistic models.

A better question than everything related to wage gaps would be this, "Is an average woman able to earn as much as an average man?". And on the West, the answer is, clearly, "Yes". While there might be some advantages and disadvantages each gender faces, in the end the difference is negligible. A different story entirely in third world countries or theocracies with strong gender discrimination, like Sharia countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Well I'm not going to argue abut this anymore. The meaning probably varies from country to country but here wage is set amount of money for set amount of hours work done. Earnings is what you take home after overtime and deductions.
    So I will leave it at that and about that wiki page...lol no comment.
    See how biased you are? You linked an article, and I considered it and accepted the statistics in it. Yet, I link an article with countless citations, and you dismiss it, "lol no comment", because it doesn't fit your world view.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    What a bigot, can't believe hes such a racist, xenophobe & misogynist.
    You should sue your boss for every cent he has.
    add myopic to that description and it is about dead on actually...

Quote Originally Posted by Invrlose View Post
    Um. Your boss probably said "as someone without kids you don't need as much money to live" or something like that. I guarantee you are misconstruing words. Employers aren't going to pay an employee more money because of his personal life. That's how you kill profits and run a company in to the ground.
    no i'm really not misconstruing the words, he said that because i didn't have kids i didn't need as much pay. and if it werent for his wife keeping the companies financials on track he really would run it into the ground. he already costs the company money due to his meddling and mismanagement.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yep. When I brought up my pay - after seeing the other guy in my same position get the 50% raise - I was told point-blank, "Yeah, but you don't have kids. You'll just spend it all on burgers or something."

And that was after doing all kinds of software development work to help with the new system that we migrated to after it became clear that no one actually knew how to USE said system.
    that sounds perfectly familiar. half our capabilities at this company would disappear if i were to leave.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, "patriarchal conspiracy" has never been considered seriously by any reputable source. The problem with these kinds of discussions is that it is virtually impossible to determine the real reasons behind the observable gaps, regardless of how calculated, since many subtle things simply cannot be measured in the real world. Most of the explanations are little more than speculations based on simplistic models.

A better question than everything related to wage gaps would be this, "Is an average woman able to earn as much as an average man?". And on the West, the answer is, clearly, "Yes". While there might be some advantages and disadvantages each gender faces, in the end the difference is negligible. A different story entirely in third world countries or theocracies with strong gender discrimination, like Sharia countries.

See how biased you are? You linked an article, and I considered it and accepted the statistics in it. Yet, I link an article with countless citations, and you dismiss it, "lol no comment", because it doesn't fit your world view.
    Apparently you didn't accept it because you still argue about it. The article proves my point that gender pay gap is a myth. Accept it and stop shit posting.

So an outside circumstance (fatherhood) causes a demographic (men) to statistically: be more motivated to work, respond better to financial incentives, rarely refuse overtime or additional workload, and hesitate to upset their working situation by moving or seeking other work opportunities. This sounds like something business owners might have good reason to pay slightly more for.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    Time to start making a few babies! can't wait for my 21% wage increase!
    So getting me that car I wanted but could not afford.
    The title certainly sounds like it.

Deleted
    Wage gap is a myth, any reputable source will tell you that. The small disparity that is left from earnings is simply that men ask for promotion more than women.

/thread

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently you didn't accept it because you still argue about it. The article proves my point that gender pay gap is a myth. Accept it and stop shit posting.
    No, I accepted the statistics in the article. I just disagreed with your conclusion, the way you worded it, at least. Why so mad, friend?
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

Deleted
    Lol, okay buddy... "Lalalalala, I am right, and all sources saying otherwise are shit." Read the second paragraph then.
    The European Commission defines the gender pay gap as the average difference between men’s and women’s aggregate hourly earnings.
    But this is meaningless.
    It literally says nothing about reality -

Yep. When I brought up my pay - after seeing the other guy in my same position get the 50% raise - I was told point-blank, "Yeah, but you don't have kids. You'll just spend it all on burgers or something."

And that was after doing all kinds of software development work to help with the new system that we migrated to after it became clear that no one actually knew how to USE said system.
    I'll take "things that definitely happened" for $500 please
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The DNC is a private organization, and they're free to "collaborate" to elect whoever they like to the leadership of their party. There's literally nothing illegal or shady about it.

Oh, look at the edgelord with the cynical attitude and Rommel avatar. Positively Bismuthian.
    What the hell does any of that have to do with anything? And wtf does bismuthian mean? I'm not cynical, I'm not the one crying that thinks society rewards men for having kids and hates women / childless men. That's cynical thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The DNC is a private organization, and they're free to "collaborate" to elect whoever they like to the leadership of their party. There's literally nothing illegal or shady about it.

good, go have kids.
    we are running out of caucasian babies

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The marital wage premium?

Well. no fucking shit.

When you have a mouth to feed, you tend to work harder.

- - - Updated - - -

Never heard of "earning gap", but "wage gap" and "pay gap" are used interchangeably and mean exactly what you call "earning gap". Read on that here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_pay_gap

Especially, go through the citations; you can see the usage of both terms.

No.

In economics, there is a stark difference between ones wages and ones earnings.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    IS this really that surprising? For a LOT of people traditional gender roles are still applicable. That means the father is the primary wage earner and the mother the primary child care provider. So obviously the father will work more in order to support a growing family and the mother will miss more work in order to stay home with sick kids, etc.
    Not very many, considering a majority of homes now have both the mum and dad in the labor force.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by truckboattruck View Post
    good, go have kids.
    we are running out of caucasian babies
    I would want me some Asian babies. They are cute! <3

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    No.

In economics, there is a stark difference between ones wages and ones earnings.
    I know. But in discussions about the gap, they are often used interchangeably.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would want me some Asian babies. They are cute! <3

I know. But in discussions about the gap, they are often used interchangeably.
    indeed.

sips tea

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well herp derp.

Its easier to get a day off or a higher wage when you use your child as an excuse rather than "well I need drinking money this Friiday"
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36126584

Full-time working fathers out-earn their childless counterparts by more than a fifth, research suggests.
    On average, fathers working full time get a 21% "wage bonus", the study based on 17,000 workers aged 42, concluded.
    Fathers living in Britain with two children earned 9% more than those with just one, says the research by centre-left think tank IPPR for the TUC.

Full-time working mothers of the same age saw a "wage penalty", earning 11% less than their childless colleagues.

The report said the reasons for the "fatherhood bonus" were not clear, though they were likely to relate to hours worked, increased effort and positive discrimination.
    It cited official labour market statistics showing full-time working men with dependent children worked on average half an hour longer each week than men without children.
    It noted the same statistics showed that full-time working women with children worked about an hour less a week than those without children.

It also referred to a study which suggested there was a "long-term scarring effect" on the future earnings of women who initially take on part-time responsibilities when they return to work after maternity leave.
    t said analysis based on fathers in the US found that increased work effort accounted for 16% of the fatherhood bonus.
    The TUC said international studies cited in the report found that CVs from fathers were scored higher than identical ones from non-fathers.

So this pretty much explains the mythical "wage gap" between men and women. However I'm sure there will be some idiot feminazi, who will try to spin it around.
    Listen this is hyper nanny UK we are talking about, who gives a shit about your jobs when you might have to eat your steak with a fucking spork pretty soon. Am I right? Article doesn't address what industries they are talking about, far as we know it addressed UK guys detailing cars vs a female orthodontist trying to straighten all those crooked teeth with invisaline bracers. What industry are we talking about? As far as not knowing, I'm not shocked at 21%. Kids always go to the mothers, fathers always gotta pay, 21% is the backbone of those getting anally raped for child support.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacyrect View Post
    Listen this is hyper nanny UK we are talking about, who gives a shit about your jobs when you might have to eat your steak with a fucking spork pretty soon. Am I right? Article doesn't address what industries they are talking about, far as we know it addressed UK guys detailing cars vs a female orthodontist trying to straighten all those crooked teeth with invisaline bracers. What industry are we talking about? As far as not knowing, I'm not shocked at 21%. Kids always go to the mothers, fathers always gotta pay, 21% is the backbone of those getting anally raped for child support.
    Are you mad? What are you trying to say?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    As a single male i feel very oppressed now. Can i have my wage gap card?
    Yes, being sarcastic is on the same level as being ignorant. Someone reading your comment is being triggered now.

Deleted
    Well just reading it quickly it just seems like Men who have a kid will spend more time on their work/work harder overall so he can pay for all the extra stuff his family needs while mothers tend to stay at home more.

Which isn't that big of a surprise to me personally.