Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

PSA: Don't buy a PS4 right now

After seeing the thread a user here made about just buying a PS4 I think it's important to get this out there. Unless you really REALLY want a PS4. Don't buy one right now. It seems pretty much imminent that the PS4.5 will be coming out at the end of this year that will be graphically superior to the base PS4. I'm not going to offer my opinions on this move but if you can wait (which to be honest you've already waited almost 2 and a half years at this point) then wait until E3 when they likely will announce the thing and decide if you wanna buy the old version or the new one first.

I feel like there isn't enough information still yet about it.

All I heard was rumors last I checked, like the 4k resolution (How many people actually are even going to take advantage of that?).
    It could just end up like the New 3DS, and not being worth the upgrade.

Might be worth waiting though at least, yeah.

If this is true, I'd wait regardless for the inevitable price drop of the base system :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Better, don't buy a console at all!

Unless you prefer the cinematic experience of 900P at 15FPS .

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeeGee View Post

"but graphics and fps don't matter. It's about the enjoyment of the game." -every console pleb ever.

Alright, this PC vs Console bullshit stops now. Thanks.

Doubt the base model will go down in price, if anything the newer version will just be more expensive.

After stalking the PS3 prices for years, waiting for it to go down which all the new models/bundles/updates, it never did. Probably the reason to this day that I still didn't purchase one.

Deleted
    Dont buy a PS4 ever. Dont ever buy a Playstation.

Hell dont ever buy a console.

Force those greedy people to switch to making pc games with proper prize tags instead.

If you need something portable then buy a gameboy

Edit:

I dont hate on consoles specificly. I just hate on the vastly overpriced machines and games for consoles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get it at a super discount

thats why I got my Xbone at a cheap price and it works fine. Does what I want, plays well, load times are actually quick.

Honestly, yeah, wait for E3 and see what the announcement is and exactly what it'll be offering.

Personally, I'm more than happy with my PS4 and can't see any reason I'd upgrade to this .5 half step when another 3 years or so and we'll be looking towards PS5.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I feel like there isn't enough information still yet about it.

All I heard was rumors last I checked, like the 4k resolution (How many people actually are even going to take advantage of that?).
    It could just end up like the New 3DS, and not being worth the upgrade.

Might be worth waiting though at least, yeah.
    The games themselves won't be 4k, they will be 1080 upscaled to 4k.....upscaling isn't as good as native. My only issue with the potential upgraded PS4 is the fact that the early adopters essentially will get shit on for supporting them early. If the PS4k is legitimate and does get announced and there isn't an uproar then it will basically be confirmed that sony fans are blind loyalists. I don't mind if they add more powerful pieces throughout the life of the system similar to what MS did with the 360, and by that i mean they add it but it's nothing insane and they don't charge more for it and wont have the potential for splitting the community. However, consoles should not be treated like cellphones where you get a new one every couple years....that pretty much renders the entire point of a home video game console pointless...If they do go that route, you're better off just investing in a gaming PC. dropping 8-1200 can future proof your system pretty well through this current generation.

10+ Year Old Account
    The games won't be running at 4k. That just sounds ridiculous. Even if your computer has 2 980ti's it'll still be struggling to run the latest games at that resolution. The console will probably be able to just stream movies in 4k, play blu-rays in 4k. And possibly play older generation games in 4k. Still though I would recommend waiting to buy a PS4 anyway. We don't know how the market will be in a few months from now. It could drop in price again. The new ps4 could not even matter all that much. Who knows?

Main on pc, have a wiiu. Really trying to hold out on a ps4 for at least another year or until KH3 and the FF7 remake come out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Glad I wasn't in a hurry to buy one.

Bloodborne and other stuff can wait, I have DS3 now.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjavitis View Post
    Main on pc, have a wiiu. Really trying to hold out on a ps4 for at least another year or until KH3 and the FF7 remake come out.
    That's been my thing ever since I heard the announcement for FF7. I used to be a universal gamer, I had every console known to man, PC master race still, but I loved my consoles. I fell out of it with the last generation and haven't updated yet. I do want to play the new FF7, so I will eventually get a PS4, but I doubt I will ever get an Xbox One. Pretty sad I'm going to spend that much money just to play one freaking game, but I guess I'll live.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Dont buy a PS4 ever. Dont ever buy a Playstation.

Hell dont ever buy a console.

Force those greedy people to switch to making pc games with proper prize tags instead.

If you need something portable then buy a gameboy

Edit:

I dont hate on consoles specificly. I just hate on the vastly overpriced machines and games for consoles.
    The reason console games are so expensive is because the systems themselves are usually sold at very low profit margins, sometimes even at a loss to the manufacturer*. All of the profit comes from the games themselves, which is why those price tags are creeping ever closer to the $70.00 mark.

*Except for Nintendo. They never do the bleeding edge hardware so they can keep their margins up on the consoles.

OT: There seems to be a hell of a lot of skepticism in tech circles about Sony's supposed claim to be able to deliver 4k video on a $400 console.
    Last edited by Nihilan; 2016-04-26 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vurdah View Post
    "but graphics and fps don't matter. It's about the enjoyment of the game." -every console pleb ever.
    don't forget triggerwarnings for the people losing the "war"

if its gonna be 4k gaming dont u need a 4k tv aswell?
    mr pickles

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeeGee View Post

This. But staying on topic, if you really must have a PS4, buy one now only if you have no interest or don't have the needed hardware to enjoy 4k (which still remains to be seen if a console will be able to output that in 2016 and at what framerate or price).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gyrados View Post
    if its gonna be 4k gaming dont u need a 4k tv aswell?
    If you wanna see the game at 4k yes. If you're asking if it would be possible to play on a regular 1080p screen, you can, but it would be a waste of money on the console.

I don't really want to buy a PS4 but how else am I supposed to play Kingdom Hearts 3 when it comes out in Dec? I also want FFXV.