Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    While not the best, it's definitely one of the most successful game of all times.

This question is laughable and does not merit discussion. It isn't even the best current MMO. If you want to argue most successful and talk only about MMOs, then sure you could make that argument.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    While not the best, it's definitely one of the most successful game of all times.
    MMO? yes. Game? No. How many copies does CoD sell? hundreds of millions?

Deleted
    You suggest that WoW is the best game and then compare it to franchises in your post. I can see how people can think of WoW as the best game since many prople have invested crazy amounts of time into it. But I can not think of any game to declare the best, I am also sure that the best game of all time has not been made yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    purely subjective. to some it is, to others it isn't.

for me it's top 10, but not number 1
    "Brace yourselves, Trolls are coming."
    Signature By: Mythriz

Best of all time is too subjective, but WoW is easily one of the most influential games of all time. I mean the fact that even to this day MMOs still bill themselves as WoW killers really say a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    This question is laughable and does not merit discussion. It isn't even the best current MMO. If you want to argue most successful and talk only about MMOs, then sure you could make that argument.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like you took that bolded part straight out of your ass. Source?

10+ Year Old Account
    No. But it's one of the best game ever made. It competes with the finest offline console games. Which is maybe why it's so successful. The reason it has disappointing reviews and is sometimes badly rated by players is because of the community mostly, as well as people who thinks quality is tied with quantity.
    Last edited by Cæli; 2016-04-26 at 12:03 AM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    WoW isn't even the best game of 2004, how the heck do you want it to be the best of ALL TIME?

Huh, even Chess is more timeless than WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/video-ga...id-f8C11545197 GTA 5 also sold about as much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well in terms of changing the landscape of gaming, WoW definately is #1 in that regard. All games that have a hint of MMO regardless of RPG or not, have tried to clone WoW in one form or another. Whether its the game systems, UI, queue systems, etc.

No other game that I can think of has changed gaming for better or worse than WoW has, which is why I ask if it is the best game of all time.
    WoW is probably #1 in this regard among MMOs, but I doubt we can apply it to all games. I think games like Baldur's Gate 2, Doom, Dune 2, Warcraft 3, Morrowind, Heroes of Might and Magic 3 - did as much if not more for video game evolution, than WoW.

Saying WoW is the best game ever is like saying Facebook is the best website ever: sure, it evolutionized the industry, and hundreds millions use it nowadays - but it is a very specific website, only a small cup of the ocean. There is also cern.ch, Google Search, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, Wiki and so on and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

I played total of 6 months of WoW back when it released, then I got so sick of it that I don't even want to read about it. That being said, I think the game itself is very well made and is definitely one of the greatest MMO ever made in many aspects.. but its cartoony art style will never be forgiven.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BotFen View Post
    WoW isn't even the best game of 2004, how the heck do you want it to be the best of ALL TIME?

Huh, even Chess is more timeless than WoW.
    You can't compare a video game and a regular game. Unless chess gives you the pleasure of exploring a virtual world and timeless soundtrack is tied to chess, which I highly doubt. Can't compare. There is more than gameplay in a videogame.

While hes way too optimist on CoD by saying hundreds of millions, he has a point still - WoW is a successful MMO, but the best game of all time, hell no. And the most successful game of all time? Not even either. Most successful mmo of all time, now we could probably have a discussion on that.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/call-o...les-statistics - 146,400,000 is the estimated of all the CoD games together,
    Last edited by Aoewy; 2016-04-26 at 12:01 AM.

Expansions are pretty much new games and to compare it to all other games it is important to decide how you look at them or what you consider them. I don't think any one version of the game is the best game ever. The complete collection of them and long running success certainly puts the set at the top of any list though.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Not quite multiple "hundreds" of millions, but only a single hundred and forty-six million, and then some, according to this nifty site that the forums won't let me post

statisticbrain.com/call-of-duty-franchise-game-sales-statistics

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

If we are going to start looking at numbers of games sold we should look at money made and profit %. I garentee you that WoW tops CoD in money made, the subscriptions and cash shop launch it ahead of that. You could also argue that Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm success and profit is in part due to WoW and what it provided those games.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Most addictive, most played, most time consuming, but best game no. In the best MMOs for sure (by being popular), but not the best game of all time. The best game of all time isnt out yet.

The Mario Bros games (theres so many) can be considered as one of the best game(s) of all time. Everyone played it, everyone knows the song/characters, its been there since the beginning and will still be around forever.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Now that I think about it, World of Warcraft can be classified as the most sucessfull MMO-RPG theme-park style game in this... generation/decade/epoch. But best game of ALL TIME?!?! Hell no.

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    You can't compare a video game and a regular game. Unless chess gives you the pleasure of exploring a virtual world and timeless soundtrack is tied to chess, which I highly doubt. Can't compare. There is more than gameplay in a videogame.
    Of course I can. I just did. I totally shouldn't, but I did. What I should be comparing are the relevant aspects present in the respective games, but then my post would be a holy mess. But see, both are games, and I was thinking the thread was talking about every type of game. My apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    If we are going to start looking at numbers of games sold we should look at money made and profit %. I garentee you that WoW tops CoD in money made, the subscriptions and cash shop launch it ahead of that. You could also argue that Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm success and profit is in part due to WoW and what it provided those games.
    Is WoW in the billions of dollars range? Because that article I linked earlier says that just that one version of CoD shipped $1billion in 1 day.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread was clearly not made with good intentions. Closing.

CLOSED.