Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    People keep thinking it's so much like Souls when really only the stamina bar is similar. Game is closer to Ninja Gaiden(no surprise since it's made by Team Ninja). The gameplay is almost identical to the more recent Ninja Gaiden games, just with a stamina bar added in. Almost nothing like Souls combat at all.
    There are more than enough differences for it to stand on its own and not be called a Souls clone, but to say the stamina bar is the only similarity is just being silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    There are more than enough differences for it to stand on its own and not be called a Souls clone, but to say the stamina bar is the only similarity is just being silly.
    The stamina bar is the only thing pretty unique to souls that the game has. Let me guess you're going to try to tell me running to your corpse is a Souls mechanic? It's a mechanic that has been in games longer then From Software has existed. So sorry, no.

Are you going to say equipment is similar to Souls? Yea and a million other games. Actually the equipment is more similar to Diablo or Lords of the Fallen as stats are randomly generated.

Are you going to say weight load is similar to Souls? Yea, and most other non JRPGs on the market...

So yes, if you want to compare what is actually TOOK from Souls the Stamina bar that works in much of the same way as Souls is pretty much it. There are other similarities, but they are all mechanics that have been in games longer then Souls has existed.(yes Stamina bars have to, but the Souls stamina bar is unique and Nioh did copy it for the most part).

The combat, aka the defining part of the game is literally nothing like Souls however. It's the punishing Ninja Gaiden combat of make one mistake and die, not the souls combat of make one mistake and run away and heal.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-05-02 at 03:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    The stamina bar is the only thing pretty unique to souls that the game has. Let me guess you're going to try to tell me running to your corpse is a Souls mechanic? It's a mechanic that has been in games longer then From Software has existed. So sorry, no.

Are you going to say equipment is similar to Souls? Yea and a million other games. Actually the equipment is more similar to Diablo or Lords of the Fallen as stats are randomly generated.

Are you going to say weight load is similar to Souls? Yea, and most other non JRPGs on the market...

So yes, if you want to compare what is actually TOOK from Souls the Stamina bar that works in much of the same way as Souls is pretty much it. There are other similarities, but they are all mechanics that have been in games longer then Souls has existed.(yes Stamina bars have to, but the Souls stamina bar is unique and Nioh did copy it for the most part).

The combat, aka the defining part of the game is literally nothing like Souls however. It's the punishing Ninja Gaiden combat of make one mistake and die, not the souls combat of make one mistake and run away and heal.
    Eh, I'd say the online is the bigger thing that Demon's Souls innovated. At least I've never seen anything like it except for Journey which came after. There may not be a stamina bar that is exactly the same but there are similar ones. The online between invasions, co op, messages, bloodstains, and phantoms that you see exploring are really what sets Dark Souls apart.

In fact many of the games that emulated it like Lords of the Fallen or Salt and Sanctuary, don't have those things. Nioh took that from From at the very least. But yeah, on the surface they are similar but once you dive in more they become quite different.

Also the stamina bar is pretty different. When you run out and try to make a move you're stunned and also the Ki Pulse can be used to instantly regenerate large portions instantly. Those 2 things make you play around the stamina bar whereas in Dark Souls it's just something you need to keep in mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    the AI seems as good as the one from Ni No Kuni.
    Last edited by Bugg; 2016-05-02 at 11:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Got kinda buried under all the E3 hype but they released a new trailer and there's apparently going to be a beta demo in August.

I'm very, very surprised they said "Japan thought it was too hard but westeners loved the difficulty so we will not be making Nioh easier" after that poll i was worried. Too many devs outright nerf rather than tune gameplay due to focus testing results. Its a welcome change of pace to leave the challenge up to the player, after all thats why things like npc and player summons exist to begin with -even if dark souls did just turn them into boss carries

10+ Year Old Account
    Nioh is getting one last demo, so if you missed the first 2 you can get the DLC for completing them by playing this one. You can also get the Ogress headgear as well.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nio.../1100-6447031/