Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    just making a slightly less quality of life server without XP boosts does not equal legacy servers. its just a watered down way of saying hey guys, do u like us still?
    Hi

Why should blizzard placate people who dont even play the game? All they want to do is hang out in their cities and spam chat for a tank for an hour and then spend 5-10 minutes flying to a dungeon. Better not make anyone angry because losing a member means back to trade for maybe another hour and then a long flight. While youre doing that, you know the hunter is trying to solo stuff and has just wiped the rest of the group. Better find another member really quick otherwise the dungeon is finished. Back in vanilla it should've been called World of Waitcraft. Vanilla server is just stupid. I don't want any precious resources wasted on it. Pristine? Not my cup of tea, but at least there would not be a lot of resources being poured into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SharkLazorz View Post
    I'm in the crowd that plays the current live game and I still enjoy it. I'm a pure end-game/raiding player, so the current game is tailored to my exact needs. I would primarily continue to play on a "normal" server even in the future, I want to get to end-game raids as soon as possible.

However - once raiding is done and the farming has begun. I would LOVE to go back to one of these "pristine" servers - to just enjoy the content, looking into all nooks and crannies and not worry about progression. It would be perfect for those "oh, I'm out of content" moments that happen between tiers and especially between expacs.

Best of both worlds for me. I'm not necessarily after the "pure vanilla", I played it when it came out - I don't necessarily want to go back - but I do want to experience "the journey" during my off-season time.
    Well it's nice to have different sides, we all got our own taste. Perhaps severs like this could serve as a way for players to discover new things. Some might find retail more appealing, others might find pristine servers their thing? who knows. I don't think it could hurt and as you state, it's not a bad thing to spend your off-time on.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Why should blizzard placate people who dont even play the game? All they want to do is hang out in their cities and spam chat for a tank for an hour and then spend 5-10 minutes flying to a dungeon. Better not make anyone angry because losing a member means back to trade for maybe another hour and then a long flight. While youre doing that, you know the hunter is trying to solo stuff and has just wiped the rest of the group. Better find another member really quick otherwise the dungeon is finished. Back in vanilla it should've been called World of Waitcraft. Vanilla server is just stupid. I don't want any precious resources wasted on it. Pristine? Not my cup of tea, but at least there would not be a lot of resources being poured into it.
    Its called progression and its something that has changed drastically.... Getting all of their new content down in a matter of 1-2 weeks of releasing it just isnt fun nor is it challenging enough. Only casuals thats have such a "busy lifestyle" have this opinion sorry not sorry

I like the idea, but they would have to slow down XP gain by a decent amount to give it a "vanilla feel". Even without heirlooms you level really fast.

Oh the irony of this comment.

You really think in the current world of time-gated professions, time-gated legendarys, click and wait garrison tables, LFD, LFR etc. etc. that Waitcraft applies more to Vanilla than retail? Laughable.

I would have to see just exactly what Pristine servers are in their final version before I would ever say they were close. Some of the appeal of Vanilla servers is the feel of the experience, some of it is that people just like the way the entire package worked then. Pristine servers wouldn't bring back the old talent trees, old loot tables, old quests, old professions or anything else that no longer exists.

They might make for an overall better live version of the game, but they won't be a replacement for those that want to play in a different expansion era. I don't think people realize just how much the design philosophy and content have changed.

This would be great, but why dont they just go for the easy solution and host the nostalgia code on their server this shouldnt be so hard

- - - Updated - - -

Yea because those recources are now so well spent... garrisons pet battles transmog, loom tab, companions, toys...
    I dont see how creating a level 60 realm can be this hard... just give the people as it is .. with all the bug included which where there back in the day.
    You have PTR realms and shit I really dont get how it can be a big issue to create a legacy realm.. and I am a software developer.
    Maybe initially it would take some time to create the scripting but when it is done it shouldnt take any time to maintain in. Nost even said they would give the code to blizzard..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinch View Post
    Oh the irony of this comment.

You really think in the current world of time-gated professions, time-gated legendarys, click and wait garrison tables, LFD, LFR etc. etc. that Waitcraft applies more to Vanilla than retail? Laughable.
    Pretty fucking much.
    Thanks for the ad-hominem; it supports your inability to support your argument.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Joozt View Post
    I really dont get how it can be a big issue to create a legacy realm.. and I am a software developer.
    Maybe initially it would take some time to create the scripting but when it is done it shouldnt take any time to maintain in. Nost even said they would give the code to blizzard..
    I'm also a software developer and I can tell you right now why Blizzard won't do legacy servers: Supporting applications written to work under Windows 98/2000/XP is a fucking pain in the arse. Even if everything "works", it doesn't work. There's always some piece of code or third party API not ported to run under 64 bit Windows or something.

Even if Nost's server code is brilliant, their scripting perfect, their database complete, the client application isn't getting updated. And guess what? The second Blizzard endorse official legacy servers is the second the entitlement complex kicks in faster than an apartment building on dole day and people start whinging for compatability upgrades and fixes.

What is Blizzard support to do when someone inevitably finds an exploit? Not patch it because they said "Hey guys, we said we were going to be hands off..." Yeah like that'll fly.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    What is Blizzard support to do when someone inevitably finds an exploit? Not patch it because they said "Hey guys, we said we were going to be hands off..." Yeah like that'll fly.

Well I think it would. Also a lot of stuff was fixed it might not be perfect but that doesnt matter. Also blizzard could just release itt makes money why couldnt they hire some people to handle that kind stuff. I would say you still need a wow sub to be able to play on these servers

a lot of blah blah for the masses. nothing else. nothing to see here.

So how many threads on this is going to be allowed on this site? Also, how many different ways must blizz say no until the legacy people get it? At most blizz wouldn't even be able to truely look into this and do any work into it till after legion is launched can we let this go at least till then? Doesn't no mean no?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrubSlayer View Post
    Pristine servers will not safisfy Vanilla/TBC/WotlK players even in the slightest. I played on Nostalrius and the differences are not even remotely solved by removing xp gains from heirlooms and potions.
    The entire game and world was different. Questing was MUCH slower back then. -this doesen't have to do with xp differences or anything else but rather the fact that there was 3-4x as many quests back then than before cataclysm.
    Another important point was the no LFD/LFR/LFBG, if you wanted to make a group for something, you would have to communicate with other people to do so. And if you wanted to queue for a specific battleground you would have to find a NPC that would allow you to queue for that battleground.
    Then there is the entire skill/talent tree debate and the design philosophies of making classes more unique and niche (rogues with lockpicking in certain dungeons as an example)
    The flow of dungeon and raiding content was vastly different. In current wow you can faceroll any dungeon in 20 minutes (with or without heirlooms). Back in the day you could spend 4-5 hours in BRD doing quests and you would not be able to do this without having a good group and CC. Not to mention the fact that the threat mechanic would obliterate you if you didnt pay attention.

There are MANY things i didn't even mention about the differences but my point is this: WoW changed slightly over a long period of time. Personally i feel like the downfall started with Flying in TBC but this isn't usally mentioned because of the upsides to the expansion. Another one is the LFD Implimentation in late Wotlk that people also rarely mention because of how amazing the expansion had been, and how late it was implimented.
    If they could just reduce the exp gain by 25%, i would proberly jump on the pristine servers right away. You say it does not satisfy, but they really only need to change a few things for me to be very exited about leveling again. You might want a return to before Cata world, i don't. I just want a smoother leveling experience and some tweeks with EXP would do that.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Deleted
    One thing I noticed was "if we could just press one button.." Which lead my mind towards *why don't they just ask kindly if they can get back the data from nost, put it in a officiel blizzard server, and let people play that, and leave no support for it* kinda road.
    Add a fee for those who wants to play on it, and make everyone happy.
    Personally I would not play on it, and perhaps it would divide the community - but who says it is a bad idea ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xzeve View Post
    One thing I noticed was "if we could just press one button.." Which lead my mind towards *why don't they just ask kindly if they can get back the data from nost, put it in a officiel blizzard server, and let people play that, and leave no support for it* kinda road.
    Add a fee for those who wants to play on it, and make everyone happy.
    Personally I would not play on it, and perhaps it would divide the community - but who says it is a bad idea ?
    Probably has a lot to do with security issues and a lot of things regarding battle.net integration

10+ Year Old Account
    We do not need several threads on this subject, please continue discussion in this larger thread on the subject: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...legacy-servers

CLOSED.