10+ Year Old Account

Nostalrius: "@mikemorhaime heard us!"

A few hours ago, Nostalrius posted this on their twitter (source):

We are excited to discuss further with @Blizzard_Ent about wow legacy servers! @mikemorhaime heard us!
    This is after Blizzard officially came out to say that they were listening to their community, and that the outcry for legacy server was something they were well aware and wanted to work out a possible solution. While the official answer is currently on the front page, here is a link to the direct feedback thread for further references: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/20743584206

The idea of a pristine server was brought up, but seems to split the community apart, as per the front-page poll and the discussions in the official thread.

What do you think? Do you believe the official alliance between Nostalrius and Blizzard will allow genuine legacy servers? What do you think about pristine servers? What are your overall thoughts about this?

Please note that this is not a discussion about private servers or the closure of Nostalrius, which is why I believe it deserve its own thread. This is a discussion about the future of a potential official legacy servers and every shade of possible solutions in-between. Respectful discussion is, per usual, mandatory.

Disclaimer: My personal position is well-known about the subject, but for the sake of the thread I'll keep my opinion out of this single post.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

I'm all for Blizzard experimenting. I wouldn't play on a vanilla server or a pristine server myself, but then again I've kept playing throughout the years without too much problem, so I'm not the kind of player this is about.

At the very least, the failure of these servers would prove Blizzard's point, and a success would be benefitial for everyone.

Other than that, I leave the technical and legal stuff to Blizzard.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom4u2 View Post
    A few hours ago, Nostalrius posted this on their twitter (source):

This is after Blizzard officially came out to say that they were listening to their community, and that the outcry for legacy server was something they were well aware and wanted to work out a possible solution. While the official answer is currently on the front page, here is a link to the direct feedback thread for further references: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/20743584206

The idea of a pristine server was brought up, but seems to split the community apart, as per the front-page poll and the discussions in the official thread.

What do you think? Do you believe the official alliance between Nostalrius and Blizzard will allow genuine legacy servers? What do you think about pristine servers? What are your overall thoughts about this?

Please note that this is not a discussion about private servers or the closure of Nostalrius, which is why I believe it deserve its own thread. This is a discussion about the future of a potential official legacy servers and every shade of possible solutions in-between. Respectful discussion is, per usual, mandatory.

Disclaimer: My personal position is well-known about the subject, but for the sake of the thread I'll keep my opinion out of this single post.

It think that if the Nost guys are really inside the warm hut now, there is proberly gonna come something productive out of it. Whether it is a Vanilla type server or if it is a feature, which is completly dedicated to the nostalgia crowd, i dont know. All i know is that this communcation is good and that somehing good is gonna come out of it no doubt...

If not, then the Nost guys are proberly gonna give a warning to us, that blizzard are dicks or something like that.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

They already have issues putting out content, so assigning those resources to this project seems very counterproductive.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Read what blizzard said i highly doubt legacy servers will ever be a thing.

- - - Updated - - -

having said that i would love to go back and play threw vanilla Tbc and wrath again though.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    I'm all for Blizzard experimenting. I wouldn't play on a vanilla server or a pristine server myself, but then again I've kept playing throughout the years without too much problem, so I'm not the kind of player this is about.

At the very least, the failure of these servers would prove Blizzard's point, and a success would be benefitial for everyone.

Other than that, I leave the technical and legal stuff to Blizzard.
    Making a full feature server, just to have it fail so it can prove a point, is gonna be a very expensive point to prove. Proving this point is proberly not gonna bring any new subs with it, so its not really worth it for blizzard to do just to prove a point.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    Making a full feature server, just to have it fail so it can prove a point, is gonna be a very expensive point to prove. Proving this point is proberly not gonna bring any new subs with it, so its not really worth it for blizzard to do just to prove a point.
    None of that is a problem for me, it's a problem for them. If they think it's worth it, they'll do it, if not, they won't.

I'm not specifically talking about legacy servers, by the way. Anything they do is better than nothing.
    Last edited by Soulwind; 2016-04-26 at 11:56 AM.

Deleted
    I'm glad Blizzard is talking about it with the Nostalrius team. The pristine servers, though, are not at all what people are asking about. Pristine servers are basically allowing you to handicap you while still playing the current game, which is not at all what this whole thing was about.

I'd play a true legacy server without even thinking twice about it, but I'd never even touch these proposed pristine servers.

i would definitely play on a legacy server every now and then.

a pristine server... i'd try it out, but i don't really want to lose my good shit if i'm stuck with current content.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    None of that is a problem for me, it's a problem for them. If they think it's worth it, they'll do it, if not, they won't.
    Ohh i know that I know where you stand on the entire server thing, so no problem there. Im just trying to put us in the shoes of Blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hornfreak View Post
    Read what blizzard said i highly doubt legacy servers will ever be a thing.

- - - Updated - - -

having said that i would love to go back and play threw vanilla Tbc and wrath again though.
    They are open for discussion, which in itself is a tremendous change of tone compared to the "Wall of no". Pristine servers are interesting, in my opinion, but they do not palliate with what Vanilla actually was. Yes, World of Warcraft could use a boost and actually offer a more challenging avenue for those interested, but it won't bring back the complicated talent trees or remove the quest helper.

Still, at this point, I'm incredibly happy with the open discussion about the subject. I was thinking about asking a refund for Legion for some time, but I changed my mind.
    Google Diversity Memo

[...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    maybe nostralius could do another reddit AMA after todays announcements. would be interesting to hear their perspective currently after talks with blizzard,
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    maybe nostralius could do another reddit AMA after todays announcements. would be interesting to hear their perspective currently after talks with blizzard,
    That would definitely be interesting! The question, however, is if they can. Considering they're working in tune with Blizzard, I tend to believe they had to sign an NDA.
    Google Diversity Memo

I would be excited to try out a Vanilla server and level a character to 60 in the super old school way, because I didn't play during Vanilla. Just to see what it was like, to get the "original authentic experience".

But I probably wouldn't keep playing on such a realm. However, there's a good chance I would keep playing on a WotLK realm. Cause that's the area when I started playing WoW, and I just loved almost everything about it. Especially Northrend, Dalaran (excited to see the Legion version, obviously!!) and the imminent threat of the Lich King, who I still perceive to be the coolest (hah!) villain.
    Would I miss some new features, like being able to play as a Gnome Priest, or Transmog, or pet battles, or some new spells? Sure, but I think that would be cancelled out by other bonuses, like still having some of the now removed spells, getting to see the old, now-destroyed parts of the world again, and so on.

Not sure whether it would be profitable to have a private server of each "era". Maybe only of Vanilla, BC and WotLK, since they seem to be the most popular. I personally also had a pretty good time in Cata and MoP, but I don't think there would be a lot of people who would want to play on legacy servers for those expansions. (I personally think MoP > Cata >>> WoD, I just played a lot more in Cata because I had more time back then).

Pristine servers sound good to me, except for the part about no group finder. But I'd probably still try it out. I really enjoy leveling (see my signature :P ), so.

10+ Year Old Account
    We do not need several threads on the same subject, this could have easily been discussed in the larger thread on Blizzrads reaction over here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...legacy-servers

CLOSED.