Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    You posted a story originally that was a year after it took place lol. That being said, Felya, do you feel there is a major difference in the amount of publicity this story got as opposed to stories such as "white cop shoots black man" stories, for example? Or do you feel the coverage is about equal?
    Yes, and I said it was reported numerous times before it. Now I give you a link from 2014 and your reply is that I should have given it instead of the current? I've now given you articles that spen 2014 and 2016, do you want one from 2015 or can you google?

Which one of the shootings by cops are you referring to? Because the issue there isn't a shooting, but their volume. You will hear more about cops shootings, because it's not a singluar event.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Why would this story have equal coverage? Murders happen daily, numerous murders, every day. It IS more important when an agent of the government, the one institution we legally endow with the authority to use violence, possibly misuses that authority. That has society-wide ramifications that are worth discussing.
    Cops have to shoot criminal suspects every day. Do you feel there are no society-wide ramnifications via homicides?

10+ Year Old Account
    NineSpine, so you feel that the coverage Jessica Chambers got was proportionate compared to stories in the media where white people assaulted/shot black people? Like this story got as much coverage as the Tamir Rice shooting?
    I've read more stories on Jessica, then Rice... Are you familiar with confirmation bias?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

NineSpine, so you feel that the coverage Jessica Chambers got was proportionate compared to stories in the media where white people assaulted/shot black people? Like this story got as much coverage as the Tamir Rice shooting?
    It was actually far more than you see for most murders. Most murders get no more than one reporting and we move on, because they aren't uncommon. We would need multiple 24 hour news stations that covered nothing but murder to cover all murders thoroughly.

Tamir Rice was killed by an agent of the state, which makes it an issue that has a broader base of interest. All of us have an interest in how OUR state behaves, as the state is OUR responsibility to properly control.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cops have to shoot criminal suspects every day. Do you feel there are no society-wide ramnifications via homicides?
    Are you equating police with a gang?

Do cops have to shoot criminal suspects every day? They don't need to do so in other advanced nations, so why do they have to here? I think we are seeing why you fundamentally don't get why police shootings are a hot topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Imagine a world where news reports have to follow an equality quota.
    Do you feel that the media's reporting of crimes being dictated by the level of melanin in the skin of those involved is the more appropriate route to go?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Do cops have to shoot criminal suspects every day? They don't need to do so in other advanced nations, so why do they have to here? I think we are seeing why you fundamentally don't get why police shootings are a hot topic.
    Whether or not cops have to shoot criminal suspects in other nations (many of which have considerably smaller populations than the US lol) is not really relevant to a story about US news. If someone is pointing a gun at a cop or going for their weapon, how do you think they should respond?

Do you feel that the media's reporting of crimes being dictated by the level of melanin in the skin of those involved is the more appropriate route to go?
    I don't, but the fact is that the bias is AGAINST black people when we look at the actual numbers:
    https://thesocietypages.org/socimage...violent-crime/

News broadcasts are like any other TV show: ratings driven. They don't report the news based on the most heinous, the most important, the most humorous, the most PC, or any of that. They report on what the most people will watch. Does that mean that they purposely air more stories about hot button topics, such as police brutality? Yes, that's exactly what it means. Should we care about this story as much as police brutality stories? Sure, I guess but, there has to be "things" to say about the story, other than just putting it up on a loop. There doesn't seem much to follow up on here, since the evil actors are private citizens. Sadly, things like this story happen every single day, around the world. They can't report on it all, and they certainly can't give you daily updates when there are no officials to question.

There's a huge difference between a story not being reported vs a story not being sensationalized. Ferguson and BLM are sensationalized. That's not the fault of the media, that's the fault of the public. The public tells media what it wants to see by what draws the most attention. The media is not blacking out stories. It's literally STUPID to think that they would. People love BLM crap (both those for the movement and those against it) because it confirms their confirmation bias. They eat that shit up. So the media makes a big deal out of it, primarily and exactly because it generates ratings. The OP's story is tragic and sad, but it doesn't generate the same kind of ratings, which is why it was not made as huge a deal in the media. But it WAS reported.

You idiots who constantly whine about mainstream media are whining about the wrong thing. Complain about the mainstream public. They're the ones to blame for what you see reported most in the media. The media literally does not give a shit. They'll report whatever you want them to.

Whether or not cops have to shoot criminal suspects in other nations (many of which have considerably smaller populations than the US lol) is not really relevant to a story about US news. If someone is pointing a gun at a cop or going for their weapon, how do you think they should respond?
    The police in the UK killed zero people in 2013. The police in the US killed hundreds of people that same year. This issue of the cops killing large numbers of civilians doesn't exist in other developed, advanced nations. You are trying to dodge the point, which again demonstrates why you so thoroughly miss the point here.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Are you equating police with a gang?
    Definitely not. That being said it still seems like there is a massive disparity in the reporting of a story that I think most would consider worthy of national news.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Looks like a totally legit news site... /eyeroll

Oh look, a mainstream news site did report on it! http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fbi-inve...-drug-arrests/

The 17 gang members were arrested, but not charged in her death. They were arrested for other things (drugs, guns) as they've interviewed over 150 people at that time.

Oh look, there was even an update in mainstream media! http://www.cbsnews.com/news/suspect-...-burned-alive/

Someone was actually indicted for charges, but not in her death at that point...but they were romantically linked.

Wow. Amazing that a RW news site wouldn't give you all that information. I'm shocked I tell you. Shocked!

10+ Year Old Account
    Since it's pretty clear that the intent here isn't to discuss the actual case, but to try and make this about racial politics, I'm locking this. Race topics are not allowed here any more, folks.