Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    As far as I know, men on HRT to become women are sterilize after 1-3 months. Women to be men it's much harder, and takes years before they're sterile with HRT. What's the point of a lawsuit when the results are certainly going to end the same?
    In this case it is questionable if they actually wanted to go through with it to that extend. For this to make any sense I'd guess they just wanted the legal status and were forced to go that far to obtain it. Otherwise giving them compensation for an inevitable thing seems rather silly.

Edit: Or they just constructed something out of the disparity between the EU law and the Swedish law, even if the resulting effect is negligible to say the least. Well it's 800 people over 40 years if I read that right (just skimmed), so I doubt it will mean bankruptcy for the Swedish Government.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2016-04-27 at 07:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I know, men on HRT to become women are sterilize after 1-3 months.
    Unless I'm mistaken, that would only be temporary. Progestins have been used experimentally as reversible male contraceptives.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, that would only be temporary. Progestins have been used experimentally as reversible male contraceptives.
    Transgender woman reporting for duty. I've been on HRT for over 16 months. Transwomen usually become sterile after around 6 months of HRT; however, this can be reverted if you discontinue HRT within a year, possibly a bit longer than that. It is also based on how high your dose is (if it's too low, you won't become sterile at all).

As a side note, progesterone / progestins are very rarely prescribed to transgender women because there is no evidence backing up that they actually cause any physical changes. They're usually used as a last resort if an individual is having little-no breast growth, but there is no data available that explains why it occasionally causes growth for individuals who weren't having any.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    It's the only way to translate "Tvångssterilisering" that I know of.
    Mandatory sterilization law?

Deleted
    It's the only way to translate "Tvångssterilisering" that I know of.
    yeah but it wasn't.
    they had choice, whether or not it was a nice position is irrelevant, they chose it, so it wasn't forced upon them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    Well, while it wasn't a fair procedure...that title is VERY misleading.
    How is it misleading? Tvångssterilisering does translate to forced sterilization, and that's what it's called in Swedish.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    yeah but it wasn't.
    they had choice, whether or not it was a nice position is irrelevant, they chose it, so it wasn't forced upon them.
    It is considered forced sterilization by this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commis...r_Human_Rights, and the Swedish government.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Hmm, so Sweden allows you to change your gender on a whim (legally) without "actually" changing it?
    Yeah this is probably for the 'transgender' that want to get all the minority points without actually changing gender.

Deleted
    No, it was just compulsory with sterilization up until 2013. Now you can change your legal gender without being sterilized.
    I think it was the same in Austria, yeah. They changed it at some point so that you don't need to have any irreversible things done anymore before being able to have your legal gender changed - you only need letters from doctors or so.
    You do need to be on hormone therapy for a few months, though.
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2016-04-27 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailswipe View Post
    Yeah this is probably for the 'transgender' that want to get all the minority points without actually changing gender.
    Or, more likely, those, who can not have surgeries because of health issues...In addition we are talking about a quite severe operation. Forcing people to do this is a violation of basic human rights.

How is it misleading? Tvångssterilisering does translate to forced sterilization, and that's what it's called in Swedish.

- - - Updated - - -

It is considered forced sterilization by this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commis...r_Human_Rights, and the Swedish government.
    Many words don't have a direct translation. Forcefully implies methods like in Iran; I don't know, maybe compulsory or obligatory would be better. It'd have left it out of the title and explained it in the post. That's pretty much what clickbait means.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    So the sterilizing effects of HRT can be reversed? That's news to me.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I guess "sterilized forcefully" is not a very appropriate term here then. Reading the title alone, I got the impression that people who identified as transsexual were forced into an operation with sterilization against their will.
    me too....

Not sure if this was brought up, but this included laws against storing gametes for either gender for future use.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    I think it was the same in Austria, yeah. They changed it at some point so that you don't need to have any irreversible things done anymore before being able to have your legal gender changed - you only need letters from doctors or so.
    You do need to be on hormone therapy for a few months, though.
    In Finland I think it's about a year one needs to be on HRT, instead of few months ^^ I'm not really sure if that counts as being forced, to be X amount of time on HRT before being able to change legal stuff. To me it seems reasonable, to see that person is making an effort, and really wants it.

So the sterilizing effects of HRT can be reversed? That's news to me.
    Has to do with time spent on HRT, I think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.