Thread: HTPC advice

HTPC advice

Has anyone here built an HTPC recently? I've been planning to do it for ages, but there's such a proliferation of different components and different ways to build them it's hard to decide. Here's what I'm thinking:

• Plays blu-rays (already have a regular 5.25" drive for it)
    • Receives TV (will need to buy a TV tuner card/dongle/kit/etc)
    • Can watch videos online (Youtube, Netflix, torrented video files etc)
    • Light gaming (not a priority but if it's easy to fit in the cost/power budget then why not)
    • Some storage (room to plug in a regular HDD along with the boot SSD)

Ideally around the $500 range? Could go higher if there's a good reason to though. I'd like to keep the power usage/heat down and fit it in one of those small HTPC boxes. So I'm thinking integrated graphics on a mini ITX board. Any advice?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your list of requirements will most certainly drive the price up and limit options. Here are some things to consider.
    OS
    Depending on which type of live TV you wish to consume will determine with version of windows you can use. Windows 7 is the cheapest option for digital cable (when dealing with a provider that flag the majority of channels as copy once) Windows 8x also works but getting a windows 8 pro + media center license is expensive and microsoft no longer sells them (only 3rd party stock left at this point) Windows 10 I wouldn't recommend at all currently as the only copy once solution is with silicondust hdhomerun equipement and their feature lacking software.If you have a provider that don't flag everything as copy once or you only wish to watch over the air TV then os choice isn't as big of deal since other choices exist.

Hardware
    By throwing light gaming into the mix I would suggest having no less than an Intel hd530 which is built into the following cpu: G4500G4500TG4520i3-6300i3-6300Ti3-6320i3-6100i3-6100Ti5-6600i5-6600Ki5-6600Ti5-6500i5-6500Ti5-6400Ti5-6400i7-6700Ki7-6700Ti7-6700.
    The G4500 should be the cheapest but it may be worth looking at one of the I3 models if you wish to view 3d framepacked blu-rays or play any of the games that refuse to start without a 4 threaded cpu. AMD apu's are an option but if cpu bound games such as mmorpgs are part of the plan then I would avoid them. I would probably stick with hdhomerun equipment for cable card tuners (assuming cable tv with copy once channels is the goal) because microsoft is likely to shut off program guide data for wmc 7 and 8 after the extended support for said os ends and at that point your only solution will be to swap over to hdhomerun dvr or move to another city/state that has service provided by someone who don't lock down all the major channels.

Software
    Blu-ray requires aacs key updates to play new movies and most officially licensed players require you to purchase the latest version of the software to continue getting those updates after your current product goes end of life. Speaking of legit players the only major one left is Cyberlink Powerdvd as Arcsoft no longer updates or sells Total media center. (yes I know Nero and Corel make players but in my opinion they leave much to be desired. Yes there is unlicensed 3rd party solutions but due to this forum's policy that subject might be taboo here so I wont be discussing that further.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Has anyone here built an HTPC recently? I've been planning to do it for ages, but there's such a proliferation of different components and different ways to build them it's hard to decide. Here's what I'm thinking:

• Plays blu-rays (already have a regular 5.25" drive for it)
    • Receives TV (will need to buy a TV tuner card/dongle/kit/etc)
    • Can watch videos online (Youtube, Netflix, torrented video files etc)
    • Light gaming (not a priority but if it's easy to fit in the cost/power budget then why not)
    • Some storage (room to plug in a regular HDD along with the boot SSD)

Ideally around the $500 range? Could go higher if there's a good reason to though. I'd like to keep the power usage/heat down and fit it in one of those small HTPC boxes. So I'm thinking integrated graphics on a mini ITX board. Any advice?
    For one, to keep cost down, i'd sack the SSD. Totally pointless in a machine you leave on almost 100% of the time (at least, i do, as it is also my downloading machine). Just get a big HDD and call it a day.

Secondly, 4k future proofing is up to you - Intel Integrated can do 4k @ 24fps, but most of the GTX 9-series cards (all of them that i know of) support 4k @ 60fps over HDMI 2.0. A GTX 950 wouldn't hurt here (and would help with the "light gaming" - in fact, if you have a gaming rig, you could use Steam In-Home streaming).

Blu-ray, as was pointed out by the previous poster, is a llittle/lot of a hassle. Having a drive wont really do you much good without player software and because of stupid DRM the player softwares tend to require craploads of updates and they force you to buy new versions all the time.

I have no experience with TV-tuner devices, as i dont use my HTPC for live TV (i just swap to the cable box).

Built this recently for a friend:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jPtXxr
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jPtXxr/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($112.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($26.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($83.43 @ Amazon)
    Case: Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case ($42.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 400W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($48.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $495.37
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-28 00:41 EDT-0400
    He's enjoying it quite a bit. Might not suit your needs entirely (no TV tuner, for instance) but provides you with a base idea of what you're looking at.

You could drop down to a core i3 and an H110 motherboard to save cash - my buddy does a lot of transcoding though so the i5 was worth it for him (and is only about ~50$ more than the i3)

- - - Updated - - -

I personally use a Late-2009 Mac Mini as my HTPC. It doesn't have 4k capabilities, but when it comes time to need them (im still on 1080p here, given the dearth of 4k content) ill just replace it with a newer mini. Instead of internal storage i have a QNAP 4-bay TurboNAS. I download and watch a lot of TV shows (mostly overseas stuff that doesnt air here in the US), movies, etc, and packrat them - ive ripped my entire collection of DVDs and Blu-Rays so i dont have to get up and get the discs, i can just fire up the movie file.

Also use it as an iTunes server/passthrough (it can connect to anyone's iTunes in the house). Works great. I could add a TV Tuner (ive seen some Mac compatible ones that work with the Mini in the ~50$ range) but like i said i just dont need it. Cable box works fine.

You can usually pick up a used Mini for 200-300$ US on Craigslist. You want to shoot for a 2011-2012 model with an i5 or i7 (i7 models might run you more). They have native optical out and HDMI output (unfortunately, only the newest ones are HDMI 2.0 compliant). Its so small you can literally command-strip the thing to the back of your TV.

Youll need an external Blu-Ray drive, but if you already have the 5.25" bare drive, you can get an enclosure for it for like 20$, and just set the Mini on top of it.

If you dont want to use OSX, (though it does have a full suite of HTPC software equivalent to all the Windows options) you can just install Windows on the Mini and use it that way. Works fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    [*]Receives TV (will need to buy a TV tuner card/dongle/kit/etc)
    You will find that the software is more of a problem than the capture card. Especially if you want to record shows and play them back later. Windows 10 removed Media Center software, so that just makes the problem worse. There's no problem watching LiveTV and recording through ATSC. But that's broadcast TV.

A HTPC is just a PC hooked up to a TV. How you set that PC up is up to you. Especially if you want it in a small case that blends nicely with your entertainment center. The real trick in a HTPC is the software. Kodi, MediaPortal, Windows Media center are just some examples of what you'll need. MediaPortal is really good at setting up video capture cards. If you want this PC to game then you need a graphics card. Doesn't matter what it is, but anything will do. And the CPU doesn't have to be powerful at all.

Thanks guys, lots of good advice. I'm probably not too worried about 4k at this point, my current TV is a $300 POS :P

Also I should've mentioned - this is Australia and I'm not interested in any pay TV services (they're overpriced shit in this country), so I'll just be hooking up a regular TV tuner for free to air TV. Basically just because my wife watches it sometimes...

Blu Ray is just for playing my old discs that are scattered around. In fact likely 90% DVDs. Currently using my PS3 for that, just figure it'd be better to have an all in one.

I'm thinking Win 7 or 8 for the OS. You're right, I'll have to consider software, I've heard Windows Media Center and XBMC are good?

I was actually looking at that GA-H170N. Like most mini ITX boards it's only got one PCI-e slot so I guess if I do decide to put in a graphics card, I'd have to get an external TV tuner.

Still haven't decided if I want a proper mini ITX case or one of those weeny HTPC cases (eg Antec ISK series).

10+ Year Old Account
    Also I should've mentioned - this is Australia and I'm not interested in any pay TV services (they're overpriced shit in this country), so I'll just be hooking up a regular TV tuner for free to air TV. Basically just because my wife watches it sometimes...
    Well since it's Australia then ATSC is probably not the broadcast standard you use. I believe you use DVB-T, which you can find a number of cheap USB stick that perform this. I accidentally bought a DVB-T USB stick with FM tuning capabilities thinking I could use it to watch TV. Not in America.

Also I'm sure a number of Hauppauge DVB-T tuners can be found cheap.
    Blu Ray is just for playing my old discs that are scattered around. In fact likely 90% DVDs. Currently using my PS3 for that, just figure it'd be better to have an all in one.
    You could rip the Blu-Rays and DVD's to the PC, and setup Plex to stream them from your home. You'd need a DNS service to do this.
    http://bestfreedvdripper.aolor.com/

This service is free.
    https://freedns.afraid.org/
    I'm thinking Win 7 or 8 for the OS. You're right, I'll have to consider software, I've heard Windows Media Center and XBMC are good?
    XBMC is now called Kodi. Windows Media Center works good for TV capture, but you have to stick with Windows 7/8. There is a trick to install it in Windows 10, but I wouldn't deal with it. Alternatively you could use MediaPortal, which does everything WMC and Kodi in one package, and will work with Windows 10. Not as nicely or as easily, but it'll get the job done.

Still haven't decided if I want a proper mini ITX case or one of those weeny HTPC cases (eg Antec ISK series).
    It looks good but keep in mind that if you start ripping DVD's and etc, you'll need a lot of storage. Also 150 watts isn't ideal, even for a HTPC. Get something with more room.

Something like this, but not as ugly.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811133282

Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2016-04-28 at 04:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do you need a DNS service for Plex? I use it to share my library with family in different areas without doing anything but setting up the server software on my htpc.

I don't know about availability in Australia but Silverstone makes several HTPC cases that I think have a good form factor. The one I got, pictured below, is one of their lower end ones but its a similar size and shape to my receiver so it fits in well:

Yeah I was actually considering that Thermaltake model when I built my current PC. Probably not that particular one since it doesn't have room for a drive bay (I have two spare Blu Ray/DVD drives lying around, I might as well use them), yeah I could stream or use some other networking solution but that's more hassle. Also concerned about dust flow, my place gets fairly dusty so I'd probably be looking for a less open case.

And yeah, most of the HTPC cases here are Silverstones like that one.

I'm leaning towards a mini ITX case, possibly one of these:

http://cplonline.com.au/coolermaster...-130-kkn1.html

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness View Post
    Why do you need a DNS service for Plex? I use it to share my library with family in different areas without doing anything but setting up the server software on my htpc.
    Not sure how you access it but I just give family and friends the address to the site. Instead of the IP to my home, which can change often. But if you're playing Plex on your Smart Phone and payed for the app, you probably don't need this. But I don't like the idea of people needing to buy the app to use my Plex.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, I guess that makes sense. Mine is mostly accessed by family through Roku or Xbox apps - they had the roku apps before there was a charge for them (I think there's a charge now? not sure) and I just let my brother login as my on his xbox since I have a plexpass.

Another question - is it possible to use dual monitors with a HTPC? I'm thinking a small portable second monitor you can use for messing around on the internet while video plays on the TV screen.

Another question - is it possible to use dual monitors with a HTPC? I'm thinking a small portable second monitor you can use for messing around on the internet while video plays on the TV screen.
    Will depend on the motherboard (how many ports it has), but usually, yes. Even my old Mac Mini with Intel HD 3000 can run two monitors @ 1080p. If you go with a low-end GPU instead of relyin on integrated GPUs, then certainly, yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've done it. One HDMI to TV, and another VGA to monitor.

Hmm, if I do go with the GA-H170N-WIFI I'm pretty sure from the specs it only has one DVI port. So I'd need to add a graphics card to dual monitor.

I guess I'll get a dongle TV tuner, leaving the PCI-e port open in case I want to add a card later.

Hmm, if I do go with the GA-H170N-WIFI I'm pretty sure from the specs it only has one DVI port. So I'd need to add a graphics card to dual monitor.

I guess I'll get a dongle TV tuner, leaving the PCI-e port open in case I want to add a card later.
    Looking at the specs, it also has 2x HDMI (which are also plainly visible on pictures of the back panel).

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Looking at the specs, it also has 2x HDMI (which are also plainly visible on pictures of the back panel).
    Oh derp. Why was I looking at the DVI port? Of course my TV is HDMI :P