Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is the sky falling or what guys?

Every expansion I re-evaluate what class I want to play and it never fails that when I get down to two or three options when I check the forums you would think the world is coming to an end. Now I don't have beta/alpha access so I'm having to rely on other peoples information and experience but can someone give me a sane response as to how Hunter is playing in beta?

I don't care about numbers or anything like that those can and will be tuned. Same thing for anything obviously not working as intended, I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt that those things will be corrected by launch (maybe a foolish thought).

Edit: I should also add that I'm asking from a PVE point of view. I may PVP a little bit but any shortcomings from a PVP perspective mean nothing to me.
    Last edited by Jmarsh56; 2016-05-16 at 02:21 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    That is why you should keep opinions to yourself about class changes, or rather you shouldn't soak up what other peoples opinions are because they only matter to them not to you as your opinions are your own and shouldn't be based of other peoples opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    That is why you should keep opinions to yourself about class changes, or rather you shouldn't soak up what other peoples opinions are because they only matter to them not to you as your opinions are your own and shouldn't be based of other peoples opinions.
    Ok well let me ask you this, if I don't have beta access how am I supposed to form an opinion without asking what other people's opinions are? The only information I have to go off of is the videos on YouTube (opinions) and patch notes (facts) but those facts without a means to play test them offer very little in terms of how it actually affects gameplay to someone who isn't a theorycrafter.

I'm not asking you to force feed me your opinion I just want to know people's opinions without hearing "MM is fucked, no one wants to be melee and BM is BM."

10+ Year Old Account
    Who fucking cares what people whine about? The only ones that really complain PVE wise are the top-of-the-top or the ones that wish they were. Are you cutting edge progression? If not then tell all of those opinions to fuck off and play what you enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmarsh56 View Post
    Ok well let me ask you this, if I don't have beta access how am I supposed to form an opinion without asking what other people's opinions are? The only information I have to go off of is the videos on YouTube (opinions) and patch notes (facts) but those facts without a means to play test them offer very little in terms of how it actually affects gameplay to someone who isn't a theorycrafter.

I'm not asking you to force feed me your opinion I just want to know people's opinions without hearing "MM is fucked, no one wants to be melee and BM is BM."
    Then you should wait two months, until things calm down.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Deleted
    I talked a lot to a pvp youtuber about hunters in casual pvp like wpvp and 1v1. He said he can't recommend hunter for casual pvp because it lacks the tools to keep most melee away while they have more tools to get in melee as well as more survivability.

MM is really bad for pvp because it has to stand and cast too much, which is bad in pvp. BM is the pvp spec as far as he's concerned. He doesn't play survival but he said that if he wanted to play melee he would play WW monk which is stupid OP in 1v1 in the beta right now, or unholy dk or even fury warrior. He said dhs are kinda squishy in the latest beta build, and can be blown up in a cc by a rogue or warrior popping cds.

Well tbh, if hunters are mediocre for 1v1 like mages in wod, then I'll pick up my ww monk again.

surv will probably be a joke/lfr spec.

bm will still be played by the pet collector people that will enjoy the new downtime to stare at their pixel pets and transmog.

most people will play MM because it's the only real spec but still not that fun to play.

I know you said you PvE more but playing BM hunter in battlegrounds has been A TON of fun. Love it much more than current BM. Marksmen was also pretty fun, I could see marksmen being more fun in PVE though. So Good luck with whatever you choose.

- - - Updated - - -

Every expansion I re-evaluate what class I want to play and it never fails that when I get down to two or three options when I check the forums you would think the world is coming to an end. Now I don't have beta/alpha access so I'm having to rely on other peoples information and experience but can someone give me a sane response as to how Hunter is playing in beta?

I don't care about numbers or anything like that those can and will be tuned. Same thing for anything obviously not working as intended, I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt that those things will be corrected by launch (maybe a foolish thought).

Edit: I should also add that I'm asking from a PVE point of view. I may PVP a little bit but any shortcomings from a PVP perspective mean nothing to me.
    I'll add another comment because why not.

Playing bm was fun, sending in extra pets. Using beast cleave. I really liked the stomp ability with the dire beast, I imagine that'll be really satisfying on AOE pulls.
    Having the pet heal you on kill command was also really cool, will be really helpful in raids to keep your hp up. The frenzy move that replaces dire beast is cool too if you want less pets and I imagine that would be better than the stomp or other one for bosses. OVerall I think BM is the most fun to play.

MM is cool since all you really cast now is aimed shot. You will be super mobile on boss fights. Aoe should be great with volley or barrage. Since multishot and arcane both generate focus and allow use of marked shot you can just jump around like a clown and spam all day. That's a plus imo. Also, bouncing aimed shots between targets is really cool. Big numbers always fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone will react differently even to the same thing. For example, I'm utterly uninterested in SV as melee. I have melee toons, I've raided as melee and i don't want to play a melee hunter. Others might be psyched about it. Same for the other specs. A lot of 'the sky is falling' stuff comes from the fact that they're making a lot of changes to the class and people who've been hunters for years aren't all going to like those.

Take what people say on forums with a pinch of salt. 5% is good feedback 95% is just whine.
    I've been looking alot though the forums and youtube for Legion, almost every class complains that they either lack communication from the developers or their class is just bad in general.

Well, good. Because then every class seems to be shit in legion which makes it balanced.

Tosan was streaming his beta hunter the other night- hated it so much he said he was probably not going to play Legion:

https://www.twitch.tv/tosantribe/v/66353403

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    surv will probably be a joke/lfr spec.

bm will still be played by the pet collector people that will enjoy the new downtime to stare at their pixel pets and transmog.

most people will play MM because it's the only real spec but still not that fun to play.
    surv has insane burst.... if you think it's a joke spec...you don't know how to play the spec.

15+ Year Old Account

Then you form your opinion about what you see not what you hear. I mean you can watch streams, but don't fall for whatever the streamers are saying when playing.

Of course the sky is falling. They are deleting the existing hunter specs and are replacing them with 3 brand new specs that just happen to be called ''bm, mm, sv''. If these massive changes arent enough to justify using ''the sky is falling'' phrase then nothing ever will. Now you can be positive about these massive changes, it's possible. But if you make a list of all the changes that have happened up untill this point the sane conclusion would be: negative. You would need to give it a really weird spin to make all the changes happening look positive. [Disclaimer ''its still beta'' here]

It's a completely different (new) class, with only a handful of familiar abilities. You'd have to play it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtlewithnoshell View Post
    I know you said you PvE more but playing BM hunter in battlegrounds has been A TON of fun. Love it much more than current BM. Marksmen was also pretty fun, I could see marksmen being more fun in PVE though. So Good luck with whatever you choose.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll add another comment because why not.

Playing bm was fun, sending in extra pets. Using beast cleave. I really liked the stomp ability with the dire beast, I imagine that'll be really satisfying on AOE pulls.
    Having the pet heal you on kill command was also really cool, will be really helpful in raids to keep your hp up. The frenzy move that replaces dire beast is cool too if you want less pets and I imagine that would be better than the stomp or other one for bosses. OVerall I think BM is the most fun to play.

MM is cool since all you really cast now is aimed shot. You will be super mobile on boss fights. Aoe should be great with volley or barrage. Since multishot and arcane both generate focus and allow use of marked shot you can just jump around like a clown and spam all day. That's a plus imo. Also, bouncing aimed shots between targets is really cool. Big numbers always fun.
    Isnt Aimed Shot not usable while moving?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkeywing View Post
    It's a completely different (new) class, with only a handful of familiar abilities. You'd have to play it yourself.
    This is the thing that pisses me off the most I think. Look, every expansion there will be good and bad changes to every single spec. That's just the nature of an evolving game... however, I have never before seen a functional, non-broken class receive such massive sweeping changes for no reason. I literally do not recognize the class on beta right now. It's not a Hunter, it's a different class that just so happens to share the Hunter name. As a 9 year veteran of the class, that really fucking annoys me. I don't want to play this new class, I want to play my Hunter.

I mean, Survival on beta is a piss poor excuse for a melee spec, and it replaced my favorite spec in the game. Of course I'm going to be angry about that.

Played BM for 10 years, deleted my alpha hunter in disgust and will not be touching him in Legion. I have no desire to be melee, nor to be petless. (I know they added in the option, but from what I've heard, pets are still like wet tissue paper.)
    No surrender! 70 Vanguard - The Star Forge

Quote Originally Posted by Vajarra View Post
    Played BM for 10 years, deleted my alpha hunter in disgust and will not be touching him in Legion. I have no desire to be melee, nor to be petless. (I know they added in the option, but from what I've heard, pets are still like wet tissue paper.)
    BM is still the ranged spec with a pet. So is MM with the option of Lone Wolf as a talent. Survival is melee with pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtlewithnoshell View Post
    What the hell are you talking about? Aimed Shot is not castable while moving, it's our only on-demand focus dump unless you spec into volley (fat chance), and it makes up a significant part of our DPS. Our mobility has been drastically nerfed and you won't be able to move much on boss fights at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    BM is still the ranged spec with a pet. So is MM with the option of Lone Wolf as a talent. Survival is melee with pet.
    You clearly ignored the last part of his post. Pet survivability is in the shitter and the pet spec options don't appear to be very viable in raiding at all.

Quote Originally Posted by FpicEail View Post
    What the hell are you talking about? Aimed Shot is not castable while moving, it's our only on-demand focus dump unless you spec into volley (fat chance), and it makes up a significant part of our DPS. Our mobility has been drastically nerfed and you won't be able to move much on boss fights at all.

- - - Updated - - -

You clearly ignored the last part of his post. Pet survivability is in the shitter and the pet spec options don't appear to be very viable in raiding at all.
    Well on that note which I admit I did ignore Pet dps is not bad but it's not amazing. Still they might buff it during the next round or future tuning patches.