Building a budget mythic raid system

Budget 0- $600
    Resolution best possible for being broke
    Games / Settings Desired WoW mostly high fps ultra would be sexy for legion
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) WoW, Adobe Premire, Counterstrike
    Country, USA
    Parts that can be reused: Coolmaster CM-690 MK1 Nvida edition, COOLMAX CQ-1200B , Asus Rampage extreme 2, 24GB DDR 3, i7-950 3.06 GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1366 Processor. maybe?
    Do you need an OS? no
    Do you need peripherals? monitor eventually

i would also consider a kick as laptop but i doubt that would exist in my range

would like to be able to pick parts up in person so whatever possible from microcenter would be cool

thanks for any help!
    Last edited by catizforfite; 2016-04-28 at 05:16 PM.

Not much of a budget. Reuse your Power Supply and Case.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Micro Center)
    Motherboard: ASRock H170A-X1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($33.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Sandisk Z400s 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 380X 4GB PCS+ Myst. Edition Video Card ($208.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced NVIDIA Edition ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
    Power Supply: CoolMax 1000W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
    Total: $609.32
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-28 07:58 EDT-0400
    Last edited by Bigvizz; 2016-04-28 at 12:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($111.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: MSI H110M PRO-D Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($48.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked Video Card ($139.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $502.32
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-28 09:25 EDT-0400
    If all you want is WoW

- - - Updated - - -

But honestly speaking you're probably fine reusing all the parts that you already have and spending the money at a strong graphic's card.

i have no idea why but its not letting me reply this is a test

it keeps saying im trying to post links images or videos but all im typing is plain text... So i think it was the fucking dollar signs... sigh..

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the replies I'm poking around and picking between both of your recommendations i would like to stay away from any ATI cards because all i hear is horror stories.

So far what i have picked is:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor 179.99 micro center
    Motherboard: MSI MSI H170A Gaming Pro LGA1151 Motherboard 85.98 microcenter
    Memory: Ballistix Elite 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 CL16 Quad Channel Desktop Memory Kit 4x8GB 163.99 microcenter.. maybe? can drop this cost if i can use some of the DDR3 they have on closeout

Subtotal 445.94
    Tax 15.61
    Grand Total 461.55

video card?? (thoughts on the Zotac GeForce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 169.99 ?) not sure i want to stay away from ATI and i've heard some of the new 950/960 are just rebranded GTX's and to look for the 4gb models so i need some insight on this.
    Last edited by catizforfite; 2016-04-28 at 02:45 PM. Reason: reply

Quote Originally Posted by catizforfite View Post

Thanks for the replies I'm poking around and picking between both of your recommendations i would like to stay away from any ATI cards because all i hear is horror stories.
    Curious, like what horror stories? AMD been edging out Nvidia lately.

There is no suck thing as ATI anymore. They got bought by AMD and especially recently have really been stepping up their game. Current nVidia cards do not even support ASync Compute at the hardware level which is one of the main advantages DX12 offers. AMD cards do support it and therefore have much better performance in DX12 applications. These are not many yet, but the adoption rate of DX12 is going to be much faster than previous versions as it is something devs have been screaming for for quite a while.

In addition to that, there is evidence that AMD cards age better. Whether this is due to nVidia purposely gimping older hardware through drivers in order to get you to upgrade or them just ignoring and not optimizing old drivers for older hardware is uncertain, but it is a thing. They are also known to perform better at resolutions above 1080p.

The long and short of it is though, that for every horror story about one camp you can find a horror story about the other. It's all anecdotal evidence and can not really be listened to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    Curious, like what horror stories? AMD been edging out Nvidia lately.
    maybe on other games but in wow i've had guildys and seen on the forums of issues with the R7,R9 and other cards from them putting out low Fps (sub 60) and also crashing during demanding fights i cant post links but if you even look on youtube theres videos of people just using flight paths not in combat hovering around 45fps could you imagion in a mythic raid?

10+ Year Old Account
    The only case in which Nvidia is currently better than AMD is at budget WoW builds since the 950 fits perfectly at it. Current D3D11 WoW runs better at Nvidia hardware when you compare low-end/mid-end cards. When WoW switch to D3D12 or Vulkan then AMD cards will probably perform better across the board at it too just like they do at everything else.

My recommendation of cards for WoW would be like... GTX950 -> R9 380/X -> R9 390/X.

So far what i have picked is:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor 179.99 micro center
    Motherboard: MSI MSI H170A Gaming Pro LGA1151 Motherboard 85.98 microcenter
    Memory: Ballistix Elite 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 CL16 Quad Channel Desktop Memory Kit 4x8GB 163.99 microcenter.. maybe? can drop this cost if i can use some of the DDR3 they have on closeout

Subtotal 445.94
    Tax 15.61
    Grand Total 461.55

video card?? not sure i want to stay away from ATI and i've heard some of the new 950/960 are just rebranded GTX's and to look for the 4gb models so i need some insight on this.
    No you can't use your normal DDR3 with Skylake. And the 950/960s are really fine for WoW, the game isn't that graphically demanding. If you want to upgrade from it just buy a 380 or 390.

But the wisest decision about graphic's cards right now that can be made is to just wait for Polaris. Seriously, the new cards will soon arrive at the market and this time they're supposed to give a ridiculous performance leap over the previous generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    The only case in which Nvidia is currently better than AMD is at budget WoW builds since the 950 fits perfectly at it. Current D3D11 WoW runs better at Nvidia hardware when you compare low-end/mid-end cards. When WoW switch to D3D12 or Vulkan then AMD cards will probably perform better across the board at it too just like they do at everything else.

My recommendation of cards for WoW would be like... GTX950 -> R9 380/X -> R9 390/X.

No you can't use your normal DDR3 with Skylake. And the 950/960s are really fine for WoW, the game isn't that graphically demanding. If you want to upgrade from it just buy a 380 or 390.

But the wisest decision about graphic's cards right now that can be made is to just wait for Polaris. Seriously, the new cards will soon arrive at the market and this time they're supposed to give a ridiculous performance leap over the previous generation.

i would love to do that but atm im raiding on a 13" Macbook pro with a intel HD3000 Gpu so while im surviving with 20-60fps in raid there are times where i will randomly lock up 0 fps and wipe the raid

Deleted
    With an i5 and a gtx960 for mythic raiding @ 1080p you should be fine:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($57.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Kingston FURY 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($33.98 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($37.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 350W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $595.90
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-06 06:56 EDT-0400

maybe on other games but in wow i've had guildys and seen on the forums of issues with the R7,R9 and other cards from them putting out low Fps (sub 60) and also crashing during demanding fights i cant post links but if you even look on youtube theres videos of people just using flight paths not in combat hovering around 45fps could you imagion in a mythic raid?
    i have an overclocked r9 290 and raid mythic quite fine on ultra at 1440p.. me suspects these amd users have issues elsewhere. or incredibly bad luck and a faulty card.