Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Just 1 Minute Of Intense Exercise May Keep You Fit

Like a lot of people these days, I spend most of my time in front of a PC, working, playing games, watching TV, etc. It's not like in grandpa's day where he was in the field chopping wood, working on machinery and doing other physical activity the whole day.

So I'm interested in exercise. Only I don't have the time or so I thought. Later there has been a lot of study into the minimum amount of exercise needed to keep you somewhat fit. I first saw this on BBC.

On BBC though it was specified that a small percentage of the population don't become fit with this method but if you do, and you're like me, it might be something you want to pick up.

http://www.ndtv.com/health/just-1-mi...ou-fit-1400383

Just 1 Minute Of Intense Exercise May Keep You Fit

Scientists have found that even a single minute of very intense exercise produces health benefits similar to longer, traditional endurance training. (Representational Image)
    Torronto: Don't have time to stay in shape? Think again, as scientists have found that even a single minute of very intense exercise produces health benefits similar to longer, traditional endurance training.

"This is a very time-efficient workout strategy. Brief bursts of intense exercise are remarkably effective," said lead author Martin Gibala, professor at McMaster University in Canada.

Scientists set out to determine how sprint interval training (SIT) compared to moderate-intensity continuous training (MICT), as recommended in public health guidelines.

They examined key health indicators including cardiorespiratory fitness and insulin sensitivity, a measure of how the body regulates blood sugar.

A total of 27 sedentary men were recruited and assigned to perform three weekly sessions of either intense or moderate training for 12 weeks, or to a control group that did not exercise.

The team has previously shown that the SIT protocol, which involved three 20-second 'all-out' cycle sprints, was effective for boosting fitness.

The workout totalled just 10 minutes, including a two-minute warm-up and three-minute cool down, and two minutes of easy cycling for recovery between the hard sprints.

The new study compared the SIT protocol with a group who performed 45 minutes of continuous cycling at a moderate pace, plus the same warm-up and cool down.

After 12 weeks of training, the results were remarkably similar, even though the MICT protocol involved five times as much exercise and a five-fold greater time commitment.

"Most people cite 'lack of time' as the main reason for not being active," said Mr Gibala.

"Our study shows that an interval-based approach can be more efficient - you can get health and fitness benefits comparable to the traditional approach, in less time," he said.

"Climbing a few flights of stairs on your lunch hour can provide a quick and effective workout. The health benefits are significant," Mr Gibala added.

The findings were published in the journal PLOS ONE.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Ok, I got up this morning. So that means my one minute is done for the day? Awesome!

You have no idea how much I have to fight each morning to leave the warmth of my bed to get out into the cold harsh world. :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Ok, I got up this morning. So that means my one minute is done for the day? Awesome!

You have no idea how much I have to fight each morning to leave the warmth of my bed to get out into the cold harsh world. :P
    Getting out of bed <> 3, 20 second all out cycle sprints.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Getting out of bed <> 3, 20 second all out cycle sprints.
    Dude, you have no idea. I have to... like move every limb. It's so exhausting, sometimes I just fall right back into it. And then I HAVE TO DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN!
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    Not that I'm disputing the universally known fact that exercising even a little bit will eventually show results, but this study seems to be complete bullshit.

Deleted
    Interesting.

I myself spend 1 hour every morning working out which gives me energy for the day. Maybe I can reduce that to 1 minute

You burn alot of calories just by masturbating a couple of times during the day, just throwing it out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    I exercise every 2nd evening for around 40 minutes, using the gym tower in my room. When I slack and skip an exercise, doing it just 1 day later, I already feel my body becoming sore and clogged. Now imagine not exercising at all... Eww!

10 minutes a day is definitely >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> no exercise.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Sprint interval training is not something to scoff at. It's a real pain the ass and you really need to push hard. If you've done normal Hiit 60/60 imagine having to push it 3 times as hard.

Deleted
    UltraSuperDuper HIIT

This is not "fit" in any reasonable sense of the word. We should not water the word "fit" down to meaning, "well, you probably won't die just from being sedentary". Sprinting for a minute will not produce the sort of cardiovascular fitness that's associated with reasonable definitions of the word fit. It also won't produce strength or flexibility.

I guess telling people not to do literally nothing is a good idea, but it'd be better if they stopped making inane excuses for not doing some pushups and going for a run.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This is not "fit" in any reasonable sense of the word. We should not water the word "fit" down to meaning, "well, you probably won't die just from being sedentary". Sprinting for a minute will not produce the sort of cardiovascular fitness that's associated with reasonable definitions of the word fit. It also won't produce strength or flexibility.

I guess telling people not to do literally nothing is a good idea, but it'd be better if they stopped making inane excuses for not doing some pushups and going for a run.
    I think the point is that intense exercise, even if brief, actually leads to hours of physiological maintenance and repair that has significant health benefits.

These people won't suddenly become triathletes, but I wouldn't doubt for a moment that someone doing several serious sprints per day is going to be much better off than someone who never does.

Well, that's not 1 minute, when you include all the rest of the shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi256 View Post
    I think the point is that intense exercise, even if brief, actually leads to hours of physiological maintenance and repair that has significant health benefits.

These people won't suddenly become triathletes, but I wouldn't doubt for a moment that someone doing several serious sprints per day is going to be much better off than someone who never does.
    Sure. My complaint is mostly with their switching back and forth between "fit" and "healthy". I wouldn't consider someone that does the bare minimum to not die from cardiovascular ailments "fit". It's really a pretty sad commentary on Western societies that we need articles practically begging people to not sit around, to get up and do something physical.

Deleted
    It takes more than a minute for me to get my heart rate up to 85% which I think is in the intense region in terms of effort, if, I haven't been doing any exercise that day.

I need at least 2-3 minutes(on the elliptical) and I'm not slacking by any means. But that's my experience, maybe it's different for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Sure. My complaint is mostly with their switching back and forth between "fit" and "healthy". I wouldn't consider someone that does the bare minimum to not die from cardiovascular ailments "fit". It's really a pretty sad commentary on Western societies that we need articles practically begging people to not sit around, to get up and do something physical.
    Gotcha - that's valid.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have read the same thing from different studies. The one I read said sprinting for just a min was better for your health than running miles at a slow steady pace.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good thing that it only takes me about a minute!

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Good thing that it only takes me about a minute!
    Healthy for your body, not so much for the relationship!

10+ Year Old Account
    I climb the stairs to my 8th floor office at least twice a day every day. I've lost 15 pounds since I started doing that a couple months ago. Of course, I've also been on a lower calorie diet.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!