Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    But Trump is a lobbyist himself. He's paid for elections before, primarily for democrats.
    Yes, but Trump removes the barrier between buying the candidacy to actually being the candidate. I don't understand it my self... Why is it better for lobby to be president, then to lobby the president.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

But Trump is a lobbyist himself. He's paid for elections before, primarily for democrats.
    So he is on the take for himself? Aren't we all?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Here's the thing, Washington politicians are funded by their lobbyists. Trump is by no means a common man, and he certainly doesn't have your interests in mind because he's not being funded by lobbyists. He's just as much of a crony capitalist as any of the politicians. He's cutting out the middle man politicians and going straight toward using your tax dollars to benefit him and his buddies.

He's also not even funding his own campaign in the way you might think. about 98% of the money he's put towards his campaign is in loans - he's expecting to be paid back.

- - - Updated - - -

You'd figure Americans being smart, wouldn't be shitting their pants over some field workers. But then you realize about half of Americans aren't that smart.
    People are not worried about some field workers, if that is all it was- I don't think it would be an issue. They are concerned about the security risk that the border situation poses. The mexican cartels are ruthless and are know to operate cross border, we have ISIS trying to attack us, there are human traffickers running cross border, not to mention any fugitive that might be fleeing justice or other criminal. We need a responsible border policy that takes into account the realities of the modern world.

Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    So he is on the take for himself? Aren't we all?
    Kind of the whole point of taking public office in a democracy is answering to the people, not yourself.

People are not worried about some field workers, if that is all it was- I don't think it would be an issue. They are concerned about the security risk that the border situation poses. The mexican cartels are ruthless and are know to operate cross border, we have ISIS trying to attack us, there are human traffickers running cross border, not to mention any fugitive that might be fleeing justice or other criminal. We need a responsible border policy that takes into account the realities of the modern world.
    Which state are you living in where there isn't a border patrol watching the border?

15+ Year Old Account
    The wall is aimed to stop field workers. That's been Trump's entire rhetoric. Drug runners come through legally all the time, and laugh at a wall for the times when they don't come through legally. No wall is going to stop drugs. No force on this earth will stop drugs, except maybe mass human extinction. Every time they find a tunnel under the border and close it down, two more tunnels open.

People also have yet to quantify what threats these field workers pose. It certainly doesn't come close to the (conservative estimate) 25 billion dollars this wall would cost.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Never thought I'd ever agree with a Republican but yeah, he always struck me as a whiny Lil bitch

7+ Year Old Account
    Boehner is a right wing hatebag and a religious nut, so you can be sure when he calls someone of his own party a " miserable son of a bitch" , that person is the epitome of slimy evil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    It has to be better than watching the Apprentice though. ;-)

Kind of the whole point of taking public office in a democracy is answering to the people, not yourself.
    Have we ever had a politician that was actually putting the people first?

- - - Updated - - -

The wall is aimed to stop field workers. That's been Trump's entire rhetoric. Drug runners come through legally all the time, and laugh at a wall for the times when they don't come through legally. No wall is going to stop drugs. No force on this earth will stop drugs, except maybe mass human extinction. Every time they find a tunnel under the border and close it down, two more tunnels open.

People also have yet to quantify what threats these field workers pose. It certainly doesn't come close to the (conservative estimate) 25 billion dollars this wall would cost.
    Well, I can not speak for other people, but my concern isn't field workers or drugs. I agree with you on drugs- you can't really stop people and it is basically a waste of your resources to try. I am mostly concerned with ISIS or other terrorists. I feel that, as part of a responsible border policy, we need to know who is coming in and out of this country.

Boner is an establishment shill, if he said ted cruz is bad, ted cruz is establishment also. Boner knows the skinny on how republicans feel about establishment, he is a worthless stooge in my my opinion. They told him to say that about cruz to make cruz seem like more of an outsider when the whole establishment is kissing cruzes ass now. Boehner is a proven sellout who left office in disgrace, anything he says now is just what hes being paid to say by the GOPe. Cruz was the controlled oppostions last resort, he was like defcon 1, and trump obliterated him and exposed him for what he was.

Fuck Boehner, Fuck Cruz and fuck the GOPe.

10+ Year Old Account
    The rats are tearing each other apart!
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

10+ Year Old Account
    I must say as a person not living in US and just following the election for funzies (that's literally a never-ending stand-up show), Ted Cruz is so shit and dishonest that I almost spill my drink anytime I see this "TrusTed" slogan his supporters use.

I'm not even sure who is genuinely worse Cruz or Trump as a nominee, Trump is not an idiot, but his "style" (if you will) is simply not what a president should do unless he wants to make his country a great laughing stock of the world again. On the other hand, Cruz is simply a liar and such a person should not be allowed to become president.

When I think about it - Trump may change his tone once he gets into the office, but Cruz? It's his nature and it won't change.

Well, I can not speak for other people, but my concern isn't field workers or drugs. I agree with you on drugs- you can't really stop people and it is basically a waste of your resources to try. I am mostly concerned with ISIS or other terrorists. I feel that, as part of a responsible border policy, we need to know who is coming in and out of this country.
    You understand terrorists aren't entering the USA through Mexico and you already know exactly who's entering your country through traditional means right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I must say as a person not living in US and just following the election for funzies (that's literally a never-ending stand-up show), Ted Cruz is so shit and dishonest that I almost spill my drink anytime I see this "TrusTed" slogan his supporters use.

I'm not even sure who is genuinely worse Cruz or Trump as a nominee, Trump is not an idiot, but his "style" (if you will) is simply not what a president should do unless he wants to make his country a great laughing stock of the world again. On the other hand, Cruz is simply a liar and such a person should not be allowed to become president.

When I think about it - Trump may change his tone once he gets into the office, but Cruz? It's his nature and it won't change.
    As someone who was born and raised in the US I can assure you that your observations are astute and that you are not alone in your feelings. Well said.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

It's not like other animals don't get high, so even that won't stop drugs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post

I think they just forgot an s and they really mean truss ted. Like tie him up.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    He should keep his mouth shut. He sucked as a speaker of the house and should retire into the background and keep quiet. Same for Romney. They both only show how much of a failure they were by expressing their opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Macedonicus View Post
    http://gawker.com/john-boehner-ted-c...esh-1773578518

Poor Ted, does anyone like the guy? And here I thought the GOP establishment were supporting him against Trump... after those words from Boehner, I'm starting to think they might be secretly pulling for Hillary, because god knows they don't want Trump. This election just keeps getting more and more interesting
    Boehner is just butt hurt because most republicans hate his ass for being completely useless. Cruz was one on the loudest voices pointing that out.

I am not really worried about people coming here legally then staying illegally. If they came here legally, hopefully, that means we checked them out. I do think we should find a better way to handle immigration, but my primary concern is security. Punishing employers for employing illegal aliens won't improve security. They already have laws and fines against employing illegal aliens on the books- the government just doesn't bother to enforce them.

I am concerned about criminals, human traffickers, mexican gang or cartel members or even Islamic terrorists sneaking across. I know some use tunnels or other methods, but some are just walking across. We can not have that going on in the current world climate. The cartels are ruthless, they have assassinated mexican gov't officials. Islamic terrorists have already shown us and routinely tell us what they plan to do. We need a more responsible border policy. Is the wall "the end all" problem solver? Of course not, but it is a start.
    So your primary concern is an irrational fear about Islamic terrorism and the big bad evil drug lords? Sorry, not a good way of reducing those problems either so if you'll excuse me I'll avoid pissing away the money on a terrible project. And even if that's your primary concern stopping the joe schmoe field worker is what a lot of pro-wall supporters aim to stop because "dey took yur jerb". I'm going to guess you don't know as much as you think you do about immigration law. It's a simple math equation if you make the cost of employing them to high they wont be employed, if they're still being employed then the cost isn't high enough. But the actual reality is they're much more of an Economic benefit then anyone who wants to build a wall would ever admit to and as much as it makes a lot of people vomit because the evil criminals are being "rewarded" some type of system where we provide a path to legal status is the smarter option.

The threat of Islamic terror is grossly exaggerated. In fact we're far more likely to stop an Islamic terrorist then we are a domestic terrorist before there are casualties. 9/11 in every sense of the word was a huge outlier. Your magic wall would've stopped exactly zero of the 9/11 hijackers. Every single one of them got into the country and simply overstayed their Visa. In fact I can't think of a single terror attack it would've stopped on American soil. As you mentioned the drug lords have extremely long and quite honestly impressive tunnel systems, and other additional ways of smuggling their contraband in. There is absolutely zero evidence that building a wall will put a major dent in their ability to enter the U.S. either. Certainly there are far more effective and cheaper methods to reduce the same effect such as taking steps to address drug demand in the U.S..

I cannot stress this enough building a wall is just plain old god damn stupid. It's not a start it's a drunken retards fumbling 50 steps backwards after chucking your wallet into a ditch leaving you with no money for the cab ride home when you wake up the next morning hungover and sore.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    Boehner is just butt hurt because most republicans hate his ass for being completely useless. Cruz was one on the loudest voices pointing that out.
    While I'm sure Boehner is butthurt all available evidence points to Cruz being a gigantic colossal douche bag of the highest degree. While there's plenty of people that might think he's intelligent, I don't, and an effective person he's defiantly got a long history of people just out right despising him as a person for reasons completely unrelated to his political actions/views.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2016-04-30 at 01:09 PM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.