Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    Sure everyone who managed to level a single char to 60 on vanilla also would have had the patience to get ten garrisons rolling within a month on a previously blank account pretty legit argument.
    of course im exaggerating, but even playing normally and not even trying to get gold would get you at least 1 token a month

you chose to play on a vanilla server, you are obviously not casual lol

You guys are talking like there are actually private servers with MoP and WoD stuff.

I am looking at the cores and neither Mangos nor Trinity nor others have it, at best there are spawns in the Pandaren starting zone (no doubt incomplete) and no scripts, no nothing. The developers of these cores are working on things like making channeling spells actually channel and not just do a visual effect in the client doing nothing to the target or the player.

Did anyone play on a private server for MoP or (LOL) WoD? Did anyone actually see anything (any zone, any instance) from those expansions working? Because I don't think this exists.

The OP posted some garbage without even telling where he got it from. Probably from private server ads. It very likely just doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Yizu View Post
    of course im exaggerating, but even playing normally and not even trying to get gold would get you at least 1 token a month

you chose to play on a vanilla server, you are obviously not casual lol
    Sometimes I miss 2004 Back then if you looked at retail box of WoW, you were the worst type of casual out there, lel...

Quote Originally Posted by Yizu View Post
    I'd like to see how you get those 80k "not even trying" during the first month on a new account without a decent garrison setup or investing time into attaining gold. The latter about there being no casual vanilla players is even dumber than this thread.
    Last edited by cFortyfive; 2016-04-29 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Most people would play them for a few hours then give up - that's why they wouldn't pay for them.
    "Most" people don't play videogames. "Most" videogame players don't play MMORPGs. "Most" MMORPG players don't play WoW. That doesn't stop it from being highly succesfful and one of the top grossing videogames of today, even after having declined so much.

We can guess all we want but honestly we can't truly know. The only thing imo that is very likely is that chances are there would be at least enough people to cover the server/maintenance/staff costs (after the initial investment is done). Wether that's 100k or 1m players is completly impossible to know for sure, and that's the biggest problem. For a company so big, business-wise it's a big risk for a possibly just slight profit that will be meaningless compared to what WoW by itself already makes.

Quote Originally Posted by Orgtar2 View Post
    So with the completely overwhelming amount of players on the Warlords of Draenor and Mists of Pandaria servers - are private servers popular for the experience or for the cost? What does this data tell you? Let me know.
    They're popular for both, the "data" doesn't change anything. For once it's very likely than the MoP servers are far less buggy than the WoD ones. But even excluding that, it's like asking if pirated games are popular because they're good games or because they're free.

There are thousands of free games out there, many without any microtransactions or anything. Some quite good even. That doesn't stop paid games from being successful for one reason: While the cost will obviously influence if someone buys or not a game, the game itself and the cost/enjoyment ratio it provides is a much more important than the price by itself.

If someone doesn't like a videogame, chances are that someone won't play it, even if it's free.

Of course most people will pick not to pay if they can choose between paying for something they want or getting it for free. You can bet the huge majority of current WoW subscribers would stop paying if Blizzard made subscriptional completly optional and with no benefit other than supporting the developer.

All we know (and we won't get any data that changes that) is that some people are only playing in private servers because they don't have to pay to play. But we don't know what the porpotions are, and assuming the majority wouldn't pay is just speculation.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DesMephisto View Post
    You condemn all of his information but then say "But Nost is different"
    Yes, because he clickbaited.
    He's not comparing Apples to Apples. Comparing the modified false demand for people wanting to play on a WoD x20 Rate Private server with the correct demand on people wanting to play vanilla.

And Yes, Nostalrius "was". Thanks for correcting me. It no longer exists.

I'd like to see how you get those 80k "not even trying" during the first month on a new account without a decent garrison setup or investing time into attaining gold. The latter about there being no casual vanilla players is even dumber than this thread.
    I forgot that it costs 80k on EU. And yes i had 100 gold when i came back in 6.2 and got my 1st wow token within the week for 21k playing 3 hrs a day all that from leveling 90-100. Im just saying i doubt that majority of players are playing it because its free, they are playing it because they miss it and they already know the time investment they have to put on it, its that or playing retail.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Again.
    OP Clickbaits, and uses false data.
    The servers he used are servers with higher rates, in addition to that, the population of those servers have been modified to show a higher number so that it can appeal to more players. It isn't anything special. Log in to only see 50 players at most.

I played on Nathrezim-US and for most of vanilla I was a casual player. I'd log in do some 5 mans, run a UBRS, log out. Took me almost 7 months to hit 60. Near the end I did get into a raiding guild but the beginning of vanilla I was entirely casual and completely sucked. Thats the thing I didn't feel from playing on Nost. I knew all the zones, knew all the boss mechanics. Nothing felt new and it felt rehashed. Which reminds me, don't people hate rehashed content?

Quote Originally Posted by dexodar View Post
    But it isn't? Valve figured this one out: "Piracy is a service problem." Give the players a legitimate, easy way to pay a fair price for the games and they will do it instead of pirating. Hence Steam's insane popularity.
    I find that a bit hard to believe. Some music labels tried this. Some even offer it for free and let the consumer to pay what they feel was a fair price, even zero. The results were less than encouraging.

Piracy will always be there because they can get it for free. Steam regularly has sales for their games. Barring the games I really want, I wait for the sales before buying some of the games. Even though I am working, I cannot afford to buy that many games on release so I wait. It means I play the game after a couple years after most people. That is fine for a single player. This does not work for an MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    We don't allow discussion of private servers here. The only reason why Nostalrius was allowed was because it was particularly well-known, large, and was covered in other gaming areas.