Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    Typical China, joins an organization, then says "F U" to the rules. China recently signed the climate agreements, what do you think the chance is that they are actually in compliance?

As for the " screaming before arbitration for their dumping, for their absurd and illegal tariffs, for their IP theft, for their state-sponsored economic espionage. " They will never be taken to task for it. For whatever reason the western powers have decided to bow at the altar of China. China has realized this and is running with it. I would expect even worst craziness.
    It should not be remotely surprising that it is typical of them. The foundation of China's foreign policy is very simple: they're the world's second largest economy (perhaps its third, since most of the past 15 years of economic growth look wildly exaggerated), world's most populated country, and in any way you cut it, a manufacuturing titan. They were isolated for about 40 years and backwards for about 60. They are a huge presence in an international system - from the security perspective, economic perspective and political perspective, that they had no role in making. They want to one day remake, with themselves at the "rightful center".

Like hell the United States lets that happen.

China doesn't follow agreements because it is convinced that the global arena in which these agreements are supposed to operate under is intrinsically unfair to China. This makes China a "revisionist" power (that's a definition to examine).

The "responsible stakeholder" bit emerges from the United States' inherent and cultural tendency to aim for de-escalation. During the Cold War for example, US nuclear strategy was filled with ways of giving the Soviet Union "off ramps" to save face and reduce tension. Soviet nuclear policy did not reciprocate.

The West's aversion to holding China responisible is that doing so would be highly escalatory. The West tactic is to instead discretely cajole and maneuver, rather than deliver ultimatums.

The good news is, this era is ending. In May-June for example, it is expected China will be nailed to the wall by UN Aribtration in the Hauge over it's claims in the SCS in a case brought by the Philippines. The US and it's East-Asian allies have been preparing to label China an international law violator and sully it's reputation on those grounds for months.

The US and EU are preparing their WTO case as well. Why now? Because China wants to move into the world of airplanes to break the Boeing-Airbus duopoly. That's the red line.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    I mean their trade ships. Take your cheap junk products back! Hit em in the pocket- watch them cry.
    Really would accomplish a lot less than you'd think.

If you want to hurt China, freeze them out of the international bond market. The US could de facto do it by refusing to honor yuan-based transactions and refusing to sell US Treauries to China. You could throw them into recession in days if you really wanted to.

The downside is it would likely lead to another Asian Financial Crisis that would ripple around the world considering how much more integrated the region is than in 1998.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Don't trade with them then, they clearly hate you lot.

But you failed to answer why china would let a hostile navy use their port facilities.
    I didn't know china was hostile to the U.S. Maybe not exactly friends but hostile is quite the jump.

Deleted
    USA are heading for a crash course with China. Donald Trump says it directly, Hillary Clinton indirectly.

Quote Originally Posted by sztyrymytyry View Post
    USA are heading for a crash course with China. Donald Trump says it directly, Hillary Clinton indirectly.
    Oddly enough the Chinese government seems very Trump-like in the way it carries itself and conducts policy. A bunch of overpromoted bureaucrats trying their best to project strength through erratic and unpredictable behavior, dealing irreparable harm to the prestige of the nation, not to mention harming the reputation of all the ethnic Chinese living abroad, every time they open their mouths.

Quote Originally Posted by Summerdrake View Post
    You do know Hong Kong has been part of China for some years now?

Lol Americans...
    I did not know I am from States. And how exactly Hong Kong being part of China has anything to do with my answer?
    The visit was planned, then suddenly Chinese changed their mind. 1+1 = 2

Eh, Summedrake, please never change. So much fun!
    Last edited by Easo; 2016-04-30 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post

The good news is, this era is ending. In May-June for example, it is expected China will be nailed to the wall by UN Aribtration in the Hauge over it's claims in the SCS in a case brought by the Philippines. The US and it's East-Asian allies have been preparing to label China an international law violator and sully it's reputation on those grounds for months.

The US and EU are preparing their WTO case as well. Why now? Because China wants to move into the world of airplanes to break the Boeing-Airbus duopoly. That's the red line.

- - - Updated - - -

Really would accomplish a lot less than you'd think.

If you want to hurt China, freeze them out of the international bond market. The US could de facto do it by refusing to honor yuan-based transactions and refusing to sell US Treauries to China. You could throw them into recession in days if you really wanted to.

The downside is it would likely lead to another Asian Financial Crisis that would ripple around the world considering how much more integrated the region is than in 1998.
    For the first point, I don't even think they will respond to be being "nailed to the wall." I think they will still "thumb their nose" at the UN and world.

Secondly, I think it is past time that we "flex a little muscle" on them. I view them as a bully and you have to stand up to the bully- or it just goes on and on and on.

But your flotilla has nowhere to dock, you need that. Sadly,nwith your countries hostile reputation, some countries won't let you lot use their ports. Must be difficult being so hated.

- - - Updated - - -

Their constant state of hostility is enough reason to deny access.
    It is funny you mention the US's constant state of hostility when..2 of China's allies...NK and RU...are the same....with the full support and blessing of China to boot!
    Or does something else make you blind to those facts?

Also, the float...doesn't NEED to dock..it is a "pleasure call" just as it always has been.
    A holiday trip, if you will...it isn't like they are resupplying.
    Last edited by enragedgorilla; 2016-04-30 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Summerdrake View Post
    You do know Hong Kong has been part of China for some years now?

Lol Americans...
    And? What is your point? They only own it at our leisure.

- - - Updated - - -

The UK never should have given Hong Kong back.
    Typical case of allow them and inch and they want to take a mile. It is all saber rattling anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Why would any country allow a hostile foreign navy to use their ports?
    From our perspective we were not the hostile ones here. We simply wanted to make port, spend money on their establishments, screw their whores and move on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stacyrect View Post
    China would just have taken UK, no one likes a pimple on their face ok. If we denied access to China's ships, American economy would fall apart because it wouldnt be able to replace all the broken shit that those ships had. Besides, how else are we supposed to get fake merchandise and dangerously leaded toys? Who would make our fapman aka batman in chinese? Who would make all the skinny people clothing for wal-mart? How many malnourished children would go to school with cheap clothing ripe with embalming fluid or dangerous inects where their was a lack of?\

China enslaves it's own people, nothing wrong with slavery so long it's your own, am I right?
    and don't forget the Chinese prostitutes you can easily find in massage parlors around the world, yes, lets keep china happy so they keep our endings happy.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsubodia View Post
    the problem is?
    Yeah, I guess the question is, why did China let a US military ship dock in what they say is their sovereign territory at least once since 2014? Do we let Chinese military ships dock in Puerto Rico?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Because china needs us more than we need them. We don't need china for anything.
    Well, not for anything, by a long shot. But indeed, China does need USA much more than USA needs China.

Deleted
    They never had the right to take it in the first place, it's part of the Chinese mainland. How about You give Alaska back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    They never had the right to take it in the first place, it's part of the Chinese mainland. How about You give Alaska back.
    To whom exactly USA should give Alaska?
    P.S.
    Hong Kong was taken long, long time ago. Planing to redraw borders, are you?

And the UK would have stopped China how? It was leased from the Chinese not a full ownership

Deleted
    Nothing unusual. China has blocked US Naval Forces from using the port before. They do it every time, when the Americans do something to anger them. I believe before it was because a American spy craft collided with a Chinese Jet. Then it was also stopped in 2007 and 2014 for various reasons.

I believe this time it is because American Forces have entered waters that China believes belong to it.
    Seriously, if you want to use their port, stop messing with them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    Nothing unusual. China has blocked US Naval Forces from using the port before. They do it every time, when the Americans do something to anger them. I believe before it was because a American spy craft collided with a Chinese Jet. Then it was also stopped in 2007 and 2014 for various reasons.

I believe this time it is because American Forces have entered waters that China believes belong to it.
    Seriously, if you want to use their port, stop messing with them.
    What's wrong with stopping a foreign military force from using the port of one of YOUR citys?

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    To whom exactly USA should give Alaska?
    P.S.
    Hong Kong was taken long, long time ago. Planing to redraw borders, are you?
    Realistically, Hong Kong is a lot more trouble for China than it's worth, but at the end of the day national pride always takes precedence over good sense. China might be an authoritarian state but their government is a lot more sensitive to public pressure than you think, and if they even entertained the idea of ceding territory back to the West their heads would roll before the ink was dry on the treaty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would any country allow a hostile foreign navy to use their ports?
    Even during the Cold War, the US and USSR had port visits. What doesnt make sense is that the US is still planning on inviting China to RIMPAC.

- - - Updated - - -

But your flotilla has nowhere to dock, you need that. Sadly,nwith your countries hostile reputation, some countries won't let you lot use their ports. Must be difficult being so hated.

- - - Updated - - -

Their constant state of hostility is enough reason to deny access.
    The US has plenty of places to dock, Hong Kong is just a "nice" place to visit that is a change.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    @Skroe

Backwards for only 60 years?

Hell of a lot longer than that. Most of Chinese history shows leaders who were blubbering assess at the end of the day. I'm convinced the Chinese populace don't even react negatively to their leaders anymore because they're used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    @Skroe

Backwards for only 60 years?

Hell of a lot longer than that. Most of Chinese history shows leaders who were blubbering assess at the end of the day. I'm convinced the Chinese populace don't even react negatively to their leaders anymore because they're used to it.
    I'm referring specifically to the post-World War II era, when technically speaking, China was counted among the victors. China's backwardsness certainly long predates that though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Colonialism was a part of history.

And we bought Alaska fair and square.