Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Question Help Picking a College Major

I have already taken the full calculus series, ordinary differential equations, linear algebra, the full lower division calculus based physics series, and almost all the lower division general ed for the IGETC transfer pattern. I am a physics major currently, but I have started taking the chemistry series and am beginning to really like it which makes me want to change majors and go all the way up through O-Chem. My GPA is 5.53 at the moment due to some B's in early remedial classes when I was not serious about college, but my transfer GPA is about 3.65-3.70. I got a butt load of extra circulars to write off such as clubs, tutoring, lab assisting, lab grader, and a few small scholarships under my belt.

Some of the majors that I have in mind.

1.) Nuclear engineering.

2.) Chemical engineering.

3.) Medical Physics.

4.) Pure Physics (Masters degree at least).

I know that I love math and science, but I have no idea what path I want to choose. Seems like every science course I take I grow fond of. I am also not sure to go for money or passion as I like a lot of the above majors equally. My parents are poor and are not going to help me pay for college, so loans are going to be an inevitability for me which makes me question of I should apply to big name prestigious schools and go deep in debt, or go to a cheaper state school and suffer less debt burden but maybe less opportunity as well. Seems like nuclear and chemical engineering require much less schooling than anything in the medical field, but medical salaries are big once school is finished. Pure physics is the anomaly that is more passion than money, but would probably be the hardest and require the most schooling. So this is my predicament at the moment, and I have about a year to decide. Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by nanook12; 2016-04-30 at 01:22 AM.

Go with gender studies. That's in high demand right now.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Climate science, unlimited amounts of taxpayers money "spent" on that field nowadays.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Climate science, unlimited amounts of taxpayers money "spent" on that field nowadays.
    I was thinking about geophysics for awhile also.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Go with gender studies. That's in high demand right now.
    Yeah, nooooooo...

History, no afternoon labs so you can start partying early or sleep w/e.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    All four of them?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    History, no afternoon labs so you can start partying early or sleep w/e.
    Lovely, except with a history degree you will be sleeping on a park bench or in a homeless shelter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    All four of them?
    My god you're insane Gold Member!

Chemical Engineering in my opinion. Nuclear wouldn't be bad either, but Chemical is a very very wide field.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Chemical Engineering in my opinion. Nuclear wouldn't be bad either, but Chemical is a very very wide field.
    I was considering nuclear engineering because nuclear power is it just freaking amazing. Nearly 10^7 more energy is released from nuclear reactions compared to chemical reactions.

I'm assuming that you haven't taken a ChemE course? It's quite a shift. Unless you're in a research position, ChemE is more engineering than it is chemistry.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bolly View Post
    I'm assuming that you haven't taken a ChemE course? It's quite a shift. Unless you're in a research position, ChemE is more engineering than it is chemistry.
    That's what I have heard. ChemE is more about scaling up a reaction for mass production than it is about making new chemicals.

Stay physics.

Chemistry is cool and all, but quantum physics is cooler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Get a major which can't be outsourced or have someone with a H1B visa replace you.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    I agree. Obama's EPA push put pretty much my entire family who were mechanical engineers on unemployment. The ones who went back for a degree for chemistry/pharmacology have a job at Pfizer's right now and they are living the good life. Not only is the money fantastic but the benefits are great as well. Never seen a job just let you leave work to do fuck whatever on a whim and not give 2 shits. One works at Dupont, money isn't as great, a lot less benefits. Either way, I'd say chemical engineering, it's always in demand, pays fuckin sexy, and you can literally go anywhere and make money.

10+ Year Old Account
    accounting can be fun.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

15+ Year Old Account
    You consider Computer Engineering?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Plumber or Electrician. Waste less time on schooling more time working and actually having a job. No insane school debt either.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think one of the big problems here is that you are equating the degree to what you do, or what it's for, and what it's worth.

Personally, I feel a Chemical Engineering is your best bet for a job, regardless of what your actual job will be. Physics is a very wonky field right now, and there is particular demand for it. Nuclear Engineering is also not one of them. "Nuclear Power is cool" is great and all, but has little to do with actual Nuclear Engineering degree, and the jobs that will net you. Medical physics might be good, however expect to be in school for 8-12 years, and have a six figure debt. You'll make good money most likely but... You'll be in your 30s by the time you're ready to start your life.

Chemical Engineering has clear cut job opportunities that pay well, and could lead into the areas you're already interested in anyway.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

you should major in feels and safe spaces, that's what college is about these days.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valizix View Post
    you should major in feels and safe spaces, that's what college is about these days.
    Such as what?