Building a new WoW raiding PC

Hello guys,
    I need a new PC for WoW Mythic raiding on High/Ultra.
    My old one just died (and it was really old, no warranty left so I'm not looking into reviving it) and while I wanted to buy a new PC closer to Legion and after new video cards hit the market, now it's not an option unfortunately. My guild is on Mythic Archi now so I need a comp asap.

Budget: 800-1000 Euro
    Resolution: standard for playing WoW
    Games / Settings Desired: WoW Mythic raiding in Legion on High/Ultra
    Any other intensive software or special things you do: a bit of streaming. Notihng heavy, just streaming raids here and there.
    Parts that can be reused: no
    Do you need an OS? I have Win 10
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? have everything

I've read other threads about building WoW PCs but when I tried to build something alike, wasn't able to find many of the suggested parts available on my local market.

Here's the site I'm using to build a PC: KSP. The prices there are in NIS (1 Euro=4.2 NIS)
    Last edited by Moredo; 2016-04-30 at 09:03 AM.

I'd pick an i5 6400 and a 970 GPU first and foremost, then I'd get a decent mobo without much bullshit features to bring up the price and then a case which can support 1 inhale fan in the front, 1 inhale side panel fan and 1 exhaust fan in the back for some OKish air flow.

After you get that you should find some cheap ram, cheap CPU fan (anything is better then stock most likely) Also some paste to put on CPU, what kind you get and how to apply is irrelevant, will get the same result regardless. Don't waste cash on soundcards, the once on Mobo is very good these days and will not provide any significant performance loss.

Someone else with a bit less real life stuff to do can compile a list for you :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Here you go:

http://ksp.co.il/?uin=19243#complist

Take that, remove DVD (waste of money nowadays), toss in Geforce GTX970 there (or Sapphire's r9 390 - IMO it's better choice simply due to better DX12 capabilities), replace PSU with something a bit better at around 600W (you can get decent one for 300NIS there) and it costs about 1k euro. The good part is that you have I5-6600K which is really really good and going to be good for quite a long time, meaning in the future you will have a good base for upgrades.

If you can afford it, I'd toss there another CPU fan instead of what you get there - something around 200 NIS will give you good value cooler that will allow some reasonable CPU overclocking in future, but if you can't afford it, then no problem really, you can add it later on - you don't need to OC that CPU really, but having an option to do so is a good thing, it will add the system another year or two of life in the future.

I can guarantee like 60-90FPS in raids with that sort of system at 1440p, if you use 1080p then it's even overkill, but better safe than sorry for Legion.

Will end up being a decent system and will be more than enough for WoW on Ultra for like 3 expansions ahead, first upgrades should be SSD and another stick of 8GB RAM, which can be had relatively cheaply later on.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2016-04-30 at 12:58 PM.

Thank you so much, Gaidax!
    It's a very reasonable price and I even can add a SSD driver right away. Which one should I choose?

I have a question though - with all this hype about new series of video cards, is it fine to invest into GTX970 now or better to take something much cheaper now and buy something new in the end of the summer? Or there's no point in these new cards if I play only WoW?

Quote Originally Posted by Pandacho View Post
    It's a very reasonable price and I even can add a SSD driver right away. Which one should I choose?

I have a question though - with all this hype about new series of video cards, is it fine to invest into GTX970 now or better to take something much cheaper now and buy something new in the end of the summer? Or there's no point in these new cards if I play only WoW?
    Dont buy a 970 or a 390, its a waste of money

You can raid very well at 1080p low-medium settings, with the Intel 530 integrated graphics.

Should be enough until the new generation of graphic cards arrive

10+ Year Old Account

Well, you can, what is your resolution? 1080p I assume?

In that case you can take GTX960 or 380X and it will still be fine and give you Ultra with good performance in raids.

You could even take something from Yad2 for the time being.

I would not put too much hopes in whatever comes out at summer, you know how it is, it will come to IL with crazy prices and you don't even need it really if what you want is just WoW. Besides, these new cards are not true next gen, the real big guns will come out at 2017, summer ones will be just half baked effort.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Dont buy a 970 or a 390, its a waste of money

You can raid very well at 1080p low-medium settings, with the Intel 530 integrated graphics.

Should be enough until the new generation of graphic cards arrive
    He wrote explicitly that he wants High/Ultra in raids. So no, 530 is playable and that's about that. Not going to enjoy this.

BUT, it could be a good idea to try it, in the unlikely case 530 provides acceptable performance at like "fair" setting, then you could stretch it until summer, but I don't count on that. I have a PC at work that had HD4600 and it was struggling in dungeons and HD530 is not such a huge leap over that.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems like I missed SSD part, I suggest for that build to do the following, toss the HDD KSP gives there and instead take Seagate SSHD - 2 or 3TB model, difference should not be big.

What that thing has is, it's HDD with a small SSD module inside that the controller uses to automatically accelerate the files you access frequently, such as boot and stuff you access a lot.

It's not SSD, but it is quite a bit better than normal HDD and gives you big amount of storage to play with in one package at a good price.

If you have to have SSD, then I suggest Samsung 850 EVO or SanDisk Ultra II at 250 GB capacity, they are like 350-450 NIS and are very decent budget SSDs, among the more trusted ones out there.

Don't pick 120GB models - 120GB is nothing nowadays.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2016-04-30 at 04:25 PM.

Thanks Gaidax.
    Yes, you are right, I want to raid on max settings - don't have any reason to sit on low.
    SSD for me is not a 'must', I just want to improve my load/reload times because right now it's about 5 minutes from PC starting and until I'm logged into the game. So if SSHD improves this - fine for me.
    Btw, you added a case with a build-in 450W PSU - are you sure that it's enough for my build? Right now I have 650W Thermaltake and downgrading to 450W feels a bit frightening.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks Gaidax.
    Yes, you are right, I want to raid on max settings - don't have any reason to sit on low.
    SSD for me is not a 'must', I just want to improve my load/reload times because right now it's about 5 minutes from PC starting and until I'm logged into the game. So if SSHD improves this - fine for me.
    Btw, you added a case with a build-in 450W PSU - are you sure that it's enough for my build? Right now I have 650W Thermaltake and downgrading to 450W feels a bit frightening.
    No, that case just is default with what KSP offers, it is shit, 450W is not enough it you want to OC and since you have K series CPU you do want to OC.

I think I wrote in my first post to replace that shit. Get a decent 600-650W PSU and you are set. They aren't expensive there. Enermax, Thermaltake, Seasonic all are good. Not need for special certification ones, I used Enermax Bronze 620W PSU for years and it was driving Radeon 6990 overclocked no sweat, so 600W for your setup will be all you ever need.

- - - Updated - - -

You know what, I tossed you a PM, maybe we can figure something over the phone. Besides I'm curious about other dude from IL raiding Mythic, do we have some covert WoW community here I'm not aware of?

So this is what I've got in the end (more than one line says that I'd better go for a cheaper option if possible):

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz 6MB Cache s1151 Skylake Tray - 1130 nis
    CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 11 Rev.2 - 45 nis
    Zalman CNPS10X Optima - 175 nis
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 - 491 nis
    Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 LGA1151 - 590 nis
    Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR4 2133MHz KVR21N15S8/8 - 260 nis
    Storage: ‏Seagate Desktop SSHD 1TB Sata III MLC/8GB ST1000DX001‎ - 430 nis
    SSD SanDisk Ultra II 240GB - 365 nis + Western Digital Blue 500GB - 235 nis
    Video Card: ‏Sapphire Radeon R9 380X NITRO Backplate DUAL-X OC 4GB - 1289 nis
    Power Supply: Corsair 550W Active PFC 80+ VS550M - 310 nis
    Corsair 600W Active PFC Modular 80+ Bronze CX600 - 415 nis
    Case: Corsair Carbide Series 330R Titanium Edition Silent (2 coolers) - 515 nis
    Corsair Carbide 100R Silent Edition (2 coolers) - 350 nis
    Fractal Design Core 3300 (2 coolers) - 400 nis
    Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 (3 coolers) - 495 nis

Would this setup be fine for Mythic raiding in Legion on High/Ultra with a bit of streaming (some raid streaming on Twitch) and what option from cheaper/more expensive to choose?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    No use going for a B150 mobo if you take a 6600k CPU.
    Either grab the combo to OC or decide to not go that route.

Either take a i5 6600 (or 6500) + B150 mobo or a 6600k + a Z170 mobo of your choice.

The Z170 board from Gigabyte is a solid choice tho.

15+ Year Old Account
    When you're going to a Z170 + 6600K combo you may as well pick up 2666MHz DDR4 memory as long as it's 1.2V

This would allow for extra performance in games (DDR4 and Skylake actually CAN make use of that) whilst remaining in the sweet spot for perf/price.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    When you're going to a Z170 + 6600K combo you may as well pick up 2666MHz DDR4 memory as long as it's 1.2V

This would allow for extra performance in games (DDR4 and Skylake actually CAN make use of that) whilst remaining in the sweet spot for perf/price.
    I believe you are right but I don't want to add extra money - I want just to choose from the options I already wrote if it's technically possible (the parts would work with each other).
    And I already mentioned that there're no games but only one game - WoW.

15+ Year Old Account
    I believe you are right but I don't want to add extra money - I want just to choose from the options I already wrote if it's technically possible (the parts would work with each other).
    And I already mentioned that there're no games but only one game - WoW.
    Regardless of it's 1 game or multiple games.. there's a tangible benefit and the difference ... well here in NL the DDR4-2666MHz is cheaper than 2133.
    I would say that it should be almost no difference whatsoever in price so you should be good to go with that really.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Regardless of it's 1 game or multiple games.. there's a tangible benefit and the difference ... well here in NL the DDR4-2666MHz is cheaper than 2133.
    I would say that it should be almost no difference whatsoever in price so you should be good to go with that really.
    Well, I just checked - we don't have a lot of 2666 here. The only one I found is exactly double in price comparing to 2133.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, I just checked - we don't have a lot of 2666 here. The only one I found is exactly double in price comparing to 2133.
    Good Lord.. I knew Israel was more expensive yes but double the price? Ugh.

Well if that's the case I can't really help you but that price really isn't right.

Deleted
    Strong CPU, like the strongest you can get and a good SSD. Those are 2 most important things for WoW or any other MMO.

Wow us very heavy focused om cpu power get best cpu you can get