Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

First Human Head Transplant Planned for 2017

First Human Head Transplant Planned for 2017

http://www.voanews.com/content/first...7/3308988.html

Many prominent surgeons think the idea is crazy and will not work, but Italian neurosurgeon Sergio Canavero says he still plans to attempt the first human head transplant late next year.

He even has a volunteer, 31-year-old Russian software development manager Valery Spiridonov, who suffers from a debilitating muscle-wasting disease.

Canavero's project does have supporters in the medical community, including Dr. Michael Sarr, professor emeritus of surgery at the Mayo Clinic. He said the procedure is very risky, but experiments show that reconnected spinal cord nerves may actually function.

During the procedure, estimated to last about 36 hours, Spiridonov’s head will be cooled to around 12 degrees Celsius, cut from his body and, as quickly as possible, connected to a donated body of a brain-dead person.

Canavero will be assisted by a team of 100 surgeons and other medical staff, including some who have experience in head transplants on animals.

After surgery, Spiridonov will be kept in an artificially-induced coma for 3 to 4 weeks while doctors stimulate his spinal cord nerves to reconnect and start functioning.

Transplants of various organs are now routinely done on human patients in many parts of the world, but all attempts at head transplants done on monkeys quickly resulted in death. However, Canavero predicts that Spiridonov will not only live with his new body, but be able to walk within a year of the operation.

Would it not be a body transplant?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Storing crap in a hole is pretty easy and efficient.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll be really interested to see how this turns out. Could be a major breakthrough for the medical community.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    I think if it works, it will have enormous and uncomfortable implications for how we see ourselves both in terms of physical self (our entire body) and in terms of what constitutes our "mind" (whether it is purely physical, what is consciousness, are we just biological machines, etc)

I still believe this is just a huge MGSV ruse

Fucking Kojima.

:^)

Deleted
    inb4 he stays in that coma for 23 years and then wakes up retarded.

10+ Year Old Account
    If this works (without being sabotaged), it will be the greatest breakthrough in history and finally give us a use for captured terrorists.

"So you like to cut people's heads off? Welcome to the Ironic Punishment Division. Your body is being re-purposed."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Curdi View Post
    inb4 he stays in that coma for 23 years and then wakes up retarded.
    You're most Gen-OT posters were previous failed attempts for head transplants?

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    I think if it works, it will have enormous and uncomfortable implications for how we see ourselves both in terms of physical self (our entire body) and in terms of what constitutes our "mind" (whether it is purely physical, what is consciousness, are we just biological machines, etc)
    During one the the interviews he (the surgeon) talked about this and the possible vanish of religions as a result. If the person experience changes around him during the brain dead state that would prove that the afterlife is a fictional product of the human mind created to escape the inevitable reality of death.

This is the article in Italian. With a lot of useless images and Ads

Deleted
    this codve been done 10 years ago lol he only live for a few years after anyways dont expect him to get to 100

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The things people try with other people's money. :P

Deleted
    Holy fuck ! Can't wait to see the result.

Deleted
    Good programme made about Dr. Canavero from last year here (not sure if it will play for people outside the UK) http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0639wx4

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone with a failing body I'll be watching this closely

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    As someone with a failing body I'll be watching this closely
    I would start hoping you are no more than 5 years old, so as to not die of old age before it's widespread enough for you to benefit from :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    I would start hoping you are no more than 5 years old, so as to not die of old age before it's widespread enough for you to benefit from :/
    Luckily I was born in 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    Luckily I was born in 2012
    Your account was made in 2010! What magix is this
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    Absolutely. A lot of beliefs, theories, religions, spiritualities will be strongly shaken if it succeeds.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not the way to get a head in life...
    I heard he was "head" ing for great things....
    He had a fine "head" on his shoulders....

That's enough Austin...."alright..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Your account was made in 2010! What magix is this
    I wished it and thus it happened