Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Makaran View Post
    Perhaps you have noticed that there is almost no one over the age of 30 that still plays video games.
    LMAO are you serious? You didn't do the barest of a glance at a single statistic before you wrote this nonsense.

You may have noticed that a lot of game developers these days are focusing on multiplayer games, that games with deep stories and meaningful dialogues, are almost extinct.
    GOOD. They're GAMES. Interactive movies with shit gameplay has been the single-player model for way too long, and the modern hipster walking simulator garbage has taken that to its extreme.

However, by creating multiplayer games, developers manage to cheat by switching the focus from their actual game, to that of something much more primal: Competition. Their game becomes merely a platform used for something that has existed since the beginning of time.
    Wait, so what part of the game is the "actual" game to you? It's clearly not the part where you play a game. Yet somehow in your next sentence you manage to stumble over the essence of a game and completely miss it. Games are competition within a defined ruleset and have been since time immemorial, against either other people or against your own skills.

Your juvenile comparison of games to drugs deserves no addressing. You might as well call watching a movie or hiking a drug.

10+ Year Old Account
    My first video games back 1990 were a file named gorilla.bas which was a very basic Worms-like game, and a game named Shadow Ninja which was a platformer. I spent days playing them. If they were launched today with the same content, they wouldn't be worth the attention.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm 35 yo. My favorite games ever are Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape: Torment, Homeworld: Cataclysm (the expansion, not the vanilla Homeworld), and in the recent years the Mass Effect series.
    Shadow Ninja on the NES is not really considered as a legendary game. Games you list were released 15+ years ago (and I find them good). During what I call the golden era of video games. Do you honestly think there is better games overall than what there were before ? The games you listed are just a very small amount of the games released at the time. It's also mostly PC games. I am mostly a console player, and there is no match between 90-00s quality vs nowadays quality. Even Nintendo is not what it used to be. I think it's hard to keep doing new things once almost all has already been done.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Yeah whoops, misread your statement. I agree that companies don't really change drastically from what they make usually, but I think it's more of they choose to stick where they excel rather than change up to make things they might not enjoy, rather than being afraid to take risks.

Might be worth looking at Blizzard as an example though, they tried to branch out and make a brand new game (Titan) and almost failed because they just didn't enjoy it (At least that's the reason they gave), but ended up with something they did enjoy (Overwatch).

Either way was risky, but the deciding factor seemed to come from their own enjoyment of the idea.
    Overwatch is indeed a very good example of what more companies should try to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Think about it. How many people over 30 do you see at Blizzcons and other video game conventions? Judging by videos, the vast majority are ages 14-25, the oldest guys are actually the game developers talking to the crowd. In the future, we should expect a 65 years old Mike Morhaime talking to a bunch of teenagers at Blizzcon.

Like I said, most gamers quit gaming or become super casual around the age of 30 because of the reasons I have already talked about.
    http://www.statista.com/statistics/1...rs-since-2010/

https://www.quora.com/Is-the-data-av...tista-reliable

A LOT of gamers are more than 30. It's a fact. It's not even interesting to try proving we stop playing after 30. We don't.
    Last edited by Cæli; 2016-04-30 at 09:59 PM.

I'm nearly 40 and I still play video games, that being said I don't enjoy today's games as much. I miss the days of pick up and play, now it seems like you sit through a 1-2 hour tutorial before getting to play the actual game, and there's way too many button combinations for my liking, I'm fine with it on some games, but too many seem needlessly over complicated, I think SNES was the high point of gaming for me. I'm also turned off by a lot of the current trends that these companies are doing with day one DLC, retailer exclusive, etc.

And multi-player to me is best with someone sitting next to you on the couch trash talking each other. If I'm going to get my butt handed to me, it's by a friend or relative, not some random 7 year old Korean whiz kid who claims to intimately know my Mom.

First off, there hasn't been a Crash Bandicoot game in a long enough time anyway, so it's kinda given the best one was long ago.

Second off, I'd disagree personally about the "best Mario game" if you're talking 3D, because Super Mario Galaxy literally blew Super Mario 64 away.

Third off, Resident Evil 4 seems to be the go to RE to praise, and that was just last gen, it's not really considered "long ago".

It's really opinion based though, but I think it's a mistake to just say there's nothing creative anymore. The issue more of I'd say is people expect companies to make something they don't do. There's a reason no one goes looking for games made by Nintendo that are gorey violent games (Just as an example), because it's not what they make.
    While RE4 had plenty the praise. I'd say Re2 and Remake1 are the go to. Nevermind Nemesis is the iconic villan and thats 3

- - - Updated - - -

My first video games back 1990 were a file named gorilla.bas which was a very basic Worms-like game, and a game named Shadow Ninja which was a platformer. I spent days playing them. If they were launched today with the same content, they wouldn't be worth the attention.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm 35 yo. My favorite games ever are Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape: Torment, Homeworld: Cataclysm (the expansion, not the vanilla Homeworld), and in the recent years the Mass Effect series.
    So why are todays games better? TBC and Cataclysm was my favorite eras and now the game is the furthest thing from it. You lay out classic rpgs from 17 years ago which is kind of the point.

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    While RE4 had plenty the praise. I'd say Re2 and Remake1 are the go to. Nevermind Nemesis is the iconic villan and thats 3
    Let's be honest, Nemesis is only loved for the surprise wall breaks and "STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARSSSSSSSSSSSSSS".

Although I guess shooting down the helicopter was kinda cool too.

I enjoyed RE 1 and 2 a lot honestly, but personally, I'd probably go back the 4 for gameplay.

Almost everything in the OP is absurdly wrong. The average age of gamers is currently over 30 and steadily rising. There is no biological "numbing" to video games any more than we experience with any other form of media. We have a huge amounts of games these days with exceptional artistic merit, featuring excellent writing, stories, themes, and characters that far surpass the average video game of 15 years ago. Those who think such games are rarer now than they were in the past, or assume that everything is multiplayer (and, somehow, that a good multiplayer title is "easier" to develop than a single player game), have an incredibly narrow view of the gaming medium as it stands in 2016.

This is cynical musing based on only the shallowest surface observations without any basis in fact.

Let's be honest, Nemesis is only loved for the surprise wall breaks and "STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARSSSSSSSSSSSSSS".

Although I guess shooting down the helicopter was kinda cool too.

I enjoyed RE 1 and 2 a lot honestly, but personally, I'd probably go back the 4 for gameplay.
    It's more so that unless you are holding a magnum and plan to take on Nemesis and not run from him hes actually a fucking asshole to fight. especially the 1st encounter if you plan to take him down with your pistol on hard.

The 3 games are timeless. I can only stomach 2-3 playthroughs of 4 before i left it forever. GOOD GAME. just lacking what I found great in the series. 5 and 6 dont even deserve a mention 5/10 Mediocre all around.

4 is certainly better than 0 thought. I never cared for that game much. RE: CV was something different and oddly ended up being pretty entertaining hitting some weird middleground. I'd give it a solid 7/10 and 4 a 8/10
    Last edited by anaxie; 2016-04-30 at 09:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's just cynicism honestly.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    somewhat most game today would be blockbusters decades ago. The issue is still the main point. The Gameplay / Atmosphere/ and Story have to be on point or the game just serves as a backlog to me.

You may have noticed that a lot of game developers these days are focusing on multiplayer games, that games with deep stories and meaningful dialogues, are almost extinct..
    Wow cool hyperbole bro. Can't believe I read far enough to get to this garbage to then skip the remainder.

2016 releases focusing on single player stories:

Quantum Break
    Ratchet and Clank
    Dark Souls 3
    Star Fox 0
    Uncharted 4
    Mirrors Edge 2
    Tokyo Mirage Sessions
    Persona 5
    Final Fantasy XV
    Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
    Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness
    Tales of Berseria
    Dues Ex Mankind Divided
    Mafia 3

Are we done here? That's just off the top of my head.

For the record I'm 31 and probably enjoying games more then I ever have in the past. The number of actual QUALITY releases we get every year is staggering and I don't let nostalgia glasses blind that.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-04-30 at 09:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    somewhat most game today would be blockbusters decades ago. The issue is still the main point. The Gameplay / Atmosphere/ and Story have to be on point or the game just serves as a backlog to me.
    I think you wouldn't be alone in this sentiment. People just disagree on what seems to be good. I enjoyed the hell out of Fable, it wasn't perfect by all means(Some of the actions you could do were a wee bit silly and the game is dated but that's obvious).

Best game I probably played is Witcher 3. Now what I say now might be cynical, I don't expect a game to be revolutionary. Too high of a expectation honestly.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    Spot on.
    This search for 'the new world of warcraft' has cost me tons of money. Always dissapointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Orange and teal.

It goes a bit further than videogames, really. As a 30-something who still does count gaming as his biggest hobby, I can say that the "burnout" is also in effect with many types of media, not just games. Television and movies, those suffer too. The thing is, as you get older, you've seen a lot more, and the formula for what makes a successful, popular game/show/movie becomes more and more apparent, more obvious. And so the "formulaic" part of it becomes a little harder to ignore.

Videogames suffer from this a bit more than other media, because a larger percentage of the total spending for other media is on story, on the writing and acting. We see a lot of movies these days that are all special effects and very little plot, but a game nearly always has to divide its time/money.

And the other part is, after a long enough time, one has to "relearn" how to watch movies. If you love movies, after a while, you're going to develop what I would call a "critic's" eye. You look at cinematography, acting, directorial decisions, in a way that you didn't before. In games this is analogous to graphics, or gameplay decisions. Because of the Internet, we've all become critics, because we follow not just the experience itself, but the development and production of the thing, are following along every step of the way, dissecting every trailer, teaser.

If you go into everything with a critic's eye, you're going to be bogged down with evaluating stuff like texture resolutions, which honestly have nothing to do with what you used to enjoy about games.

Me, because I'm an older guy, I honestly wouldn't care if televison had never gone beyond Standard Def. HD is a nice upgrade, sure, so is 4K, but it doesn't add that much to the overall experience. And by the same token, I appreciate that graphics are better in videogames these days...I can look at a game like Goldeneye 64 and say, wow, those models were awful compared to what we have now. But in the end, it doesn't really matter.

At some point, gaming is going to become more and more like how we see movies or TV these days. What we see now is a slowing down...and that's totally expected, and normal. Graphics are nearly photorealistic as it stands. Gameplay won't get much more intricate until you have Matrix-esque nervous-system reading of input. VR, and controlling games with your mind, that will definitely open up a new, huge plateau...but after that, it's going to become a lot more about what you're actually doing in that game, and why, and the world involved. Which will make them much more like movies are in that respect.

This has already hit me hard a number of years ago.

After buying Dragon Age origins and loving it the only other game I found myself playing on and off was wow. Shortly after cataclysm released I took a 1 year break from wow and played nothing in between except really old games on my original xbox.

Unfortunately in 2010 microsoft closed down the original xbox live service so you could no longer play old xbox games online. This hit me especially hard. I was still playing halo 2 live, counter strike xbox live, conker's bad fur day live and reloaded, battlefront 2, etc. I found myself playing nothing at all until 2011 I pre ordered star wars the old republic. That turned out to be a massive disapointment as did Dragon Age II, and Skyrim for me.

I also bought Kingdoms of Amalur in 2012. That was the last game I bought for Xbox 360. Shortly afterwards I sold all my games (80 game cube titles, 60 xbox 360 titles, 40 xbox titles) and switched to Only PC gaming. Went back to wow, bought games on steam.

Within the first year of using steam I aqquired close to 100 games. Pretty much all of them were shit only a select few did I play for 10 hours or more. This was long before refunds were available.

Any time I was not playing wow I wasted money buying steam games when they went on sale. I re bought games I had already played which was mostly a big mistake and old games I thought I missed out on.

Most of the Big franchises I have no interest in whatsoever. (Assassin's Creed, call of duty, battlefield, Any Blizzard game that is not Wow, fallout, the witcher, dark souls, Saints Row, Grand Theft Auto etc.)

Right now I am waiting on my pre order of mirror's edge catalyst for PC and playing counter strike global offensive occasionally with friends. Csgo is the only game I have installed on my computer right now after recently upgrading to windows 10.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've played games since I was 3, pretty much, daily (I am almost 26 now). My interest in games hasn't waned in the slightest, and I have just as much fun exploring new titles as I did when I was a kid.

I think it is just that people's attitude changed. In the last 15 years or so people have become overly pessimistic and skeptical. Every time a new title is announced, people already complain about how that title is going to be bad, about poor developers' decisions, etc. They focus on a few downs, while ignoring countless upsides. I prefer to focus on what I like about games, not what I dislike about them, and as such I am able to enjoy a large variety of titles. This is my advice to you guys, and not just for games - for everything in life: focus on what is good about something, not what is bad about it, and your life will suddenly start shining.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I've played games since I was 3, pretty much, daily (I am almost 26 now). My interest in games hasn't waned in the slightest, and I have just as much fun exploring new titles as I did when I was a kid.

I think it is just that people's attitude changed. In the last 15 years or so people have become overly pessimistic and skeptical. Every time a new title is announced, people already complain about how that title is going to be bad, about poor developers' decisions, etc. They focus on a few downs, while ignoring countless upsides. I prefer to focus on what I like about games, not what I dislike about them, and as such I am able to enjoy a large variety of titles. This is my advice to you guys, and not just for games - for everything in life: focus on what is good about something, not what is bad about it, and your life will suddenly start shining.
    I don't believe we need life lessons from a 26 year old.

Its not pessemism. Graphics go up but dumbing down or questionable choices go up. Hellllllloooo season passes. Helllllloooo Bethesda games.

I kinda hit a burnout too. I still enjoyed games like Witcher 3 immensely, but have actually not played any games since January. I just started to read a shitload of books instead. What I most enjoyed in games were more often than not the story anyway, and I get that in spades from books.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm noticing that I'm getting sick of games a lot quicker. That much is certain. I've been playing games since I was 5 and now I'm 23. You don't that rush anymore from games. You just think everything feels the same. I just bought Assassins's creed Syndicate and I can't play it for more than an hour without getting sick of it.