Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Another common misconception. Wow not only has the capability of utilizing more than 1 core, it no longer requires you to edit the WTF file to enable that functionality. Wow, by default, uses as many cores as you have. Players I have encountered in game with higher end hardware (6 core, 8 core intel workstation machines) have had much better performance in the areas of Wow where players generally report FPS drops on your typical high end gaming setup.

You have to understand that it's not a matter of just 'throwing more cores at it' but a matter of making sure all the draw calls for any given task are being handled efficiently, which is why you get massive FPS drops in the first place. I would love to see someone with hardware access do a direct comparison JUST FOR WOW on 1080p to see where the most performance gains can actually be reached in 2016 between all the available CPUs.

Wow is a 2004 MMORPG, not exactly anyone's benchmark for new hardware. I doubt anyone has even tried this yet, if I'm being honest.
    I know it uses more threads now, which can be split to more cores, however, there is still one large thread that is making all the draw calls that still can not be split. Many of the other threads can be split, so yeah, I can see more performance with more cores because there is less on the the same core as the main thread, but we are not talking huge amounts here. There is still one large thread that is handling the draw calls and that still can not be split.

Hey guys, quick question. Let's say i wait until I go to school and keep this money, would the new macbook pro 15" coming out this summer with new gpus and stuff be able to play wow on ultra? 1080p ofc.

Edit : I've also been offered this system for 700 Eu. i5 6500, asus h170m-plus, Samsung Evo 120Gb SSD, evga 500watt 80plus, g.skill 8gb dual channel 2400mhz . It does not have a GPU installed . So would need another 250 Eu? . Is it worth the extra cash insted of the i7-2600k rig?
    Last edited by leo015; 2016-05-02 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leo015 View Post
    Hey guys, quick question. Let's say i wait until I go to school and keep this money, would the new macbook pro 15" coming out this summer with new gpus and stuff be able to play wow on ultra? 1080p ofc.

Edit : I've also been offered this system for 700 Eu. i5 6500, asus h170m-plus, Samsung Evo 120Gb SSD, evga 500watt 80plus, g.skill 8gb dual channel 2400mhz . It does not have a GPU installed . So would need another 250 Eu? . Is it worth the extra cash insted of the i7-2600k rig?
    i am not sure the 2016 mbp specs are out anywhere, but even the current mid-2015 model looks like it'd play wow on ultra. (as a slightly irrelevant reference, my late-2008 mbp plays wow quite well on medium)

if you wanna get a pc and your budget is €600-950 maybe you'd be better off putting together your own? i threw those parts together in pcpartpicker (germany) and it only came to €700~ with a graphics card and some random case.. what country are you in? and are you going to be doing anything else other than playing wow?
    Last edited by the boar; 2016-05-02 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    i am not sure the 2016 mbp specs are out anywhere, but even the current mid-2015 model looks like it'd play wow on ultra. (as a slightly irrelevant reference, my late-2008 mbp plays wow quite well on medium)

if you wanna get a pc and your budget is €600-950 maybe you'd be better off putting together your own? i threw those parts together in pcpartpicker (germany) and it only came to €700~ with a graphics card and some random case.. what country are you in? and are you going to be doing anything else other than playing wow?
    I live in Cyprus. No i won't be playing anything else than WoW. I am thinking though about that MBP, as it will be much easier for than having a tower in UK and everytime i come back to Cy being left with the 13"
    MBP. This means though that i'll be left playing on my shitty, 6 year old iMac that plays WoW on lower than low settings.

aha, yes. makes a bit more sense now. cyprus also seems to have computer components more expensive than in the uk even, wow!

think about how long you are going to be in cyprus playing wow, think about how long you are going to be in the uk.

4 more months (assuming, school begins september? are you arriving earlier to sort out general stuff?) playing on low vs €600-700 playing on high / ultra and then leaving that pc behind.. it is completely your decision and i am not trying to force you to save your money or spend it elsewhere. just have a think about what you wanna do

[the €700 pc with no graphics card is a no-go in my opinion, having briefly looked at some cyprian websites and the cost of things (again i was able to make similar pc with an r7 370 for €700)]

So do you think i'd be best off buying the new MBP 15" this summer?

I live in Cyprus. No i won't be playing anything else than WoW. I am thinking though about that MBP, as it will be much easier for than having a tower in UK and everytime i come back to Cy being left with the 13"
    MBP. This means though that i'll be left playing on my shitty, 6 year old iMac that plays WoW on lower than low settings.
    Then just get a decent sized monitor and plug it in to the MBP when you are there? You don't -have- to use the 13" monitor, you can plug another one in easily.

Yes that would be the case if i got the MBP, we're talking about the 15" though if i dont get a tower.

Here's the problem with gaming on a MBP: It's a laptop. All devices built into that sort of form factor have what's called 'thermal throttling' issues. This means that when you do any demanding tasks on that machine, it will get warm and the CPU will deliberately slow down to prevent damage from getting too hot. Tasks that utilize the GPU in a heavy manner will be especially prone to throttling because it's two major components adding heat to the system instead of just one (CPU).

You have to understand that laptops are never an ideal gaming experience, no matter how portable or expensive they are. Even a long gaming session on lower settings is going to cause thermal throttling in your MBP, which will translate to FPS drops for no apparent reason. What I would seriously consider for you is an alternative:

Build a mini ITX form factor desktop PC and it's now portable when you need it to be without being this insanely heavy box. Are you going to take it to class with you? Nope. That's why you buy a tablet. At the end of the day, if you really need a laptop for school, go buy a $300 chrome book and put the rest into a gaming rig for at your dorm/home.

That's the absolute best advice anyone can ever give you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's the problem with gaming on a MBP: It's a laptop. All devices built into that sort of form factor have what's called 'thermal throttling' issues. This means that when you do any demanding tasks on that machine, it will get warm and the CPU will deliberately slow down to prevent damage from getting too hot. Tasks that utilize the GPU in a heavy manner will be especially prone to throttling because it's two major components adding heat to the system instead of just one (CPU).

Unless you do this.

GPU at the base and CPU behind the display.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post

Unless you do this.

GPU at the base and CPU behind the display.
    How would this help th cooling problem?

Build a mini ITX form factor desktop PC and it's now portable when you need it to be without being this insanely heavy box. Are you going to take it to class with you? Nope. That's why you buy a tablet. At the end of the day, if you really need a laptop for school, go buy a $300 chrome book and put the rest into a gaming rig for at your dorm/home.

That's the absolute best advice anyone can ever give you.
    they are going to school in another country. as other threads have recently discussed, taking a pc on a plane is never really fun.

there could be better laptops for the job of gaming at the same price (or cheaper?) as a top-end mbp, i was saying that a mbp will play wow and they were getting one anyway. i probably should've said it might be worth looking at other laptop options.

i have known so many people who raid on laptops, and it is generally never a active decision of "i want a laptop" it is "i need a laptop because of my situation."

it is easy to say "go make a pc it is better and cheaper," i agree, a pc is better and cheaper, but we don't know where this person is going to live. every university dorm in the uk i have seen has been like a tiny broom cupboard with barely enough room for a single bed and the worlds smallest desk. even an itx pc + monitor + keyboard + mouse could eat so much space that you're butt is sticking out the window - and with our weather that is going to be unpleasant.

they are going to school in another country. as other threads have recently discussed, taking a pc on a plane is never really fun.

there could be better laptops for the job of gaming at the same price (or cheaper?) as a top-end mbp, i was saying that a mbp will play wow and they were getting one anyway. i probably should've said it might be worth looking at other laptop options.

i have known so many people who raid on laptops, and it is generally never a active decision of "i want a laptop" it is "i need a laptop because of my situation."

it is easy to say "go make a pc it is better and cheaper," i agree, a pc is better and cheaper, but we don't know where this person is going to live. every university dorm in the uk i have seen has been like a tiny broom cupboard with barely enough room for a single bed and the worlds smallest desk. even an itx pc + monitor + keyboard + mouse could eat so much space that you're butt is sticking out the window - and with our weather that is going to be unpleasant.
    This. Nailed it. Although, my main concern is not moving it in the first place. It's coming back for holidays in the summer, christmas or easter and being left with a laptop that is good only for browsing, video watching etc. etc.
    Last edited by leo015; 2016-05-04 at 11:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because the whole magnesium body acts as a cooler and since you have both heavy-lifting separated they don't heat the same part of the laptop. The issue with normal laptops is that you have the GPU and the CPU close to each other, and more than often sharing the same cooling solution, which means that the thing will have 2 strong heat sources at the ~same place.

When the CPU and the GPU have their respective places separated from one another, you can cool them separately and make a more efficient cooling solution since you literally have double the space to dissipate the heat.

because instead of the CPU and GPU being millimeters from each other cross-poluting the space with heat, and usually sharing the same heatsink/heat dissipation system, they are in two entirely different places, nowhere near each other, using two entirely different heat dissipation apparati and cannot cross-polute each other with excessive heat?

Mini ITX is pretty small, we're talking many cases not much bigger than a shoebox. Even if I were a traveling student crammed into a closet for a dorm room, I'd still prefer a desktop over a laptop, it's just better in every way. When you know how these things are built, when you've looked at countless machines built using laptop hardware (emachines, all in one pcs) and seen what happens when people try to game on them, it's better to avoid that situation completely. If I buy my PC by the component, I can upgrade it by the component later on. If a part breaks, I can replace it at a significant discount compared to buying a new laptop.

And to recoup costs, I can resell the parts I've used in it and put that towards new stuff later on. Get a keyboard that doesn't have 10 key, get a small bag that can hold that, a mouse mat, a mouse, and your ITX build safely. It doesn't have to be any bigger than a camera bag or a laptop bag. Gaming on a laptop is going to require the exact same setup as a desktop - someplace stable to put your stuff so you can enjoy your game in the first place. Do your homework, check out ITX solutions and builds, you can get a lot into a very tiny space without the design flaws of a laptop, and keep all the horsepower of a desktop. It's not a bad idea, trust me.

I'm a doctor.

Could you recommend a mini-itx build, only meeting the requirements to play WoW at Ultra settings 1080p? Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by leo015; 2016-05-05 at 05:10 AM.

Getting a bit late tonight, but ill try to put a few together tomorrow.

You're going to pay a little more for the truly small cases, but it can be worth it.

The Silverstone RAVEN is about the same size as an Xbox One, for instance. Itll fit in a carry-on bag no problem, and since the GPU sits flat, not suspended in the air being held in by the PCIe slot its pretty save to travel.

Only real issue is going to be needing to have a monitor wherever you're ending up - which can be a TV for all that it matters, but you dont want to try shipping amonitor back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Getting a bit late tonight, but ill try to put a few together tomorrow.

You're going to pay a little more for the truly small cases, but it can be worth it.

The Silverstone RAVEN is about the same size as an Xbox One, for instance. Itll fit in a carry-on bag no problem, and since the GPU sits flat, not suspended in the air being held in by the PCIe slot its pretty save to travel.

Only real issue is going to be needing to have a monitor wherever you're ending up - which can be a TV for all that it matters, but you dont want to try shipping amonitor back and forth.
    No problem, i'll wait for it. Thanks a lot.

Edit : I have put together some parts. Tell me what do you think, any corrections or anything. Im a bit concerned about the CPU and GPU though, is a GTX 960 enough for Ultra gaming? Is the wait for the new GPUs worth it? Is the 6600K an over-kill for wow or should i just go with an 6500 to save 50 Euros? Thanks.

Last edited by leo015; 2016-05-05 at 08:31 PM.

You need a cooler for the CPU; the K-series do not come with a stock cooler. I'd stick with the 6600K unless you need to save the money - you can overclock it down the road for free performance, essentially, and it has a higher base clock to begin with.

for that case, you need something low-profile, i highly recommend the Zalman CNPS-8900 Quiet.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118126

US Link, but thatll at least show you the model.

Also seems like a weird GPU choice. The 960 isn't a bad card, but it is beat soundly by the R9 380, which is also more future proof (in that price range). If you're looking for Ultra in JUST WoW, either will do fine, if you want to do Ultra in other games, an R9 390 would be a better buy. (Or, if you can, wait until Pascal and Polaris parts are announced here in the next few weeks)

Make sure the PSU will fit (it has to be SFX form factor).

otherwise, looks good. I have the previous version of the motherboard (the Z97N-Wifi) and its very solid.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2016-05-05 at 09:46 PM.