Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[spoilers] Warcraft movie - 3rd parallel universe or just bad storytelling?

After watching Warcraft movie i can't help but think about this idea. I refuse to believe that blizzard made this much lore holes in pivotal lore moments.
    Some things i catched while i was watching the movie:
    - Ner'zhul is nowhere to be found
    - Khadgar didnt get age sucked out of him
    - Alodi is a flying stone with Medivh's mother remnant sitting inside it
    - Garona is not mind controlled by Gul'dan
    - It is heavily suggested that Garona's parents are Medivh + some random orc woman
    - King Llane asked Garona to kill him in the middle of the battle
    - Lothar kills Blackhand
    - Draka and Durotan deaths
    - No forest trolls and ogres to be found

So all these things makes me wonder if it's yet another blizz trick. Could it be that they've created "3rd parallel universe" with first two being our WoW timeline and the 2nd one being Draenor from WoD? Because if they did "lighten the lore" for unfamilliar viewers, they did very bad job with it.
    You see, i went to see the movie with my girlfriend and she never ever played any of the warcraft games\read warcraft books\etc. And she just didn't shut up with the questions about movies characters, like "who is he? why is he green?", "Why was that horned blue woman in the cage?" "What happened to orc homeworld?" and so on.
    Even though i really liked the movie, i wonder why did blizz made the move like this.
    Last edited by Ryusei; 2016-05-29 at 01:52 PM.

They did the same thing with GoT, regarding books vs the series.

They took artistic freedom with the writers, simply to change the old story that they potentially didn't find to be that interesting if you applied it to a movie.

this is a new universe. blizz said the movie universe will be like marvel's cinematic universe.

to me, it's pointless and stupid to make a movie about something if you're not gonna follow the original story. it's no longer warcraft if you change it. name it any other thing "green guys vs. humans" and it'd be just as relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    this is a new universe. blizz said the movie universe will be like marvel's cinematic universe.
    Aha! Well, i've missed this part.

Too bad they don't want to hold tight to the plot with the "original warcraft" lore details

This is Warcraft 1, not Warcraft 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    This is Warcraft 1, not Warcraft 2.
    What do you mean? Will Blackhand rez in warcraft 2 so Doomhammer can kill him?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryusei View Post
    What do you mean? Will Blackhand rez in warcraft 2 so Doomhammer can kill him?
    I should have elaborated. Ner'zhul's presence in Warcraft 1 is minor enough to overlook in the movie. It's not like the movie goes into details with the blood of Mannoroth or anything like that anyway. Ner'zhul doesn't really become that important a character until the 2nd war. And I'm fine with him not being in the movie, it was already overflowing with major characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    I should have elaborated. Ner'zhul's presence in Warcraft 1 is minor enough to overlook in the movie. It's not like the movie goes into details with the blood of Mannoroth or anything like that anyway. Ner'zhul doesn't really become that important a character until the 2nd war. And I'm fine with him not being in the movie, it was already overflowing with major characters.
    Ner'Zhul is just not needed at all. Gul'Dan is the ultimate bad Orc. No need to complicate things for a movie plot to add in things like Ner'Zhul, the blood of Mannaroth and such. You just cannot take all that is in the lore of the games and books and put it into a movie that would make sense in the form of a screenplay. Completely different mediums.

this is for the movies, the general audience who never played a blizzard game. it does not affect the wow or warcraft lore
    Be feared, or be fuel

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Ner'Zhul is just not needed at all. Gul'Dan is the ultimate bad Orc. No need to complicate things for a movie plot to add in things like Ner'Zhul, the blood of Mannaroth and such. You just cannot take all that is in the lore of the games and books and put it into a movie that would make sense in the form of a screenplay. Completely different mediums.
    You don't need Ner'Zhul right now. But with potential sequels you kinda need him considering he is the first Sauron, I mean Lich King.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ner'zhul wasn't even introduced as a character until Warcraft II and the demon blood stuff wasn't explained until Warcraft III / Rise of the Horde which came out even later down the line. If they do a sequel, they can start building those things in. In the prequel novel, Gul'dan is an exile from an unspecified clan, so in the film universe he was probably exiled from the Shadowmoon Clan by Ner'zhul. But we'll have to wait and see what will happen.

But, yeah, it's a completely different canon from the games, as has been explained by Blizzard since they announced it.

Honestly, all these changes don't matter that much, and I can as always only roll my eyes at the purists complaining about book/game-to-movie adaptations *gasp* adapting things.

Deleted
    It's quite interesting really. If you look at those points you'll see - many of the later plotpoints wont happen anymore.

Like for example Garona not being controlled means she did it out of her own free will. She wasn't a hero in the Story, she was a tragic figure.
    The Shadow-Council is nowhere to be found.
    Lothar killing Blackhand instead of Orgrim in a Mak'gorah. So how exactly is the Warchief now? Infighting is ensured.
    -> No Orgrim killing the Shadow Council, leading into the first Generation of Death Knights/Gul'dan begging for his life.
    No Warlocks/Shamans, no Northshire Clerics or Kirin Tor on the Battlefield (or even mentioned) so no Paladins in the 2nd War (or out of nowhere).

There are many many more but if you are even remotely interested in lore you see, that they changed so much, you wont be able to tell the Story later down the line at all anymore or have to throw in a Title Scroll to keep the viewer up to speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Honestly, all these changes don't matter that much, and I can as always only roll my eyes at the purists complaining about book/game-to-movie adaptations *gasp* adapting things.
    No shit, sherlock. Thing is - they didn't adapt. They changed it completely. IF they wanted to tell the WARCRAFT Story they succeded to some extent. But they also barred their way from doing the next storylines. Which are arguably better. Like the Second War, Beyond the Dark portal or the Lordaeron Storyline with Arthas.

Yes, they had to adapt. But they didn't have to change the HUGE plotpoints they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Vjnzen View Post

No shit, sherlock. Thing is - they didn't adapt. They changed it completely. IF they wanted to tell the WARCRAFT Story they succeded to some extent. But they also barred their way from doing the next storylines. Which are arguably better. Like the Second War, Beyond the Dark portal or the Lordaeron Storyline with Arthas.

Yes, they had to adapt. But they didn't have to change the HUGE plotpoints they did.
    Agree to disagree then. I just wanted my stance put in there, I don't really care to discuss "Gimli's beard was 1 inch longer in the books, zomg" purism, as I find it pointless. Although no, none of the changes made in the movie bar any of those things from happening. At all.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Are you trolling or just intellectually dishonest?
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Are you trolling or just intellectually dishonest?
    I think he's completely right. Ner'Zhul is unnecessary to introduce at this point in the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    I think he's completely right. Ner'Zhul is unnecessary to introduce at this point in the story.
    So intellectually dishonest, like you.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    So intellectually dishonest, like you.
    Have you seen the movie or are you just unknowingly making yourself look silly?

Ner'zhul is only important to introduce if you made a Beyond the Dark Portal movie (or two movies maybe). Tell me why I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2016-05-30 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vjnzen View Post
    It's quite interesting really. If you look at those points you'll see - many of the later plotpoints wont happen anymore.

Like for example Garona not being controlled means she did it out of her own free will. She wasn't a hero in the Story, she was a tragic figure.
    The Shadow-Council is nowhere to be found.
    Lothar killing Blackhand instead of Orgrim in a Mak'gorah. So how exactly is the Warchief now? Infighting is ensured.
    -> No Orgrim killing the Shadow Council, leading into the first Generation of Death Knights/Gul'dan begging for his life.
    No Warlocks/Shamans, no Northshire Clerics or Kirin Tor on the Battlefield (or even mentioned) so no Paladins in the 2nd War (or out of nowhere).

There are many many more but if you are even remotely interested in lore you see, that they changed so much, you wont be able to tell the Story later down the line at all anymore or have to throw in a Title Scroll to keep the viewer up to speed.

Oh you can do WC2 based on the movie, it is just harder. What I think will be hardest is the sudden importance of the faith of the Light which has been completely ignored (for reasons I can understand) in the movie. Oh and Dragons.

You can even twist the story in a way that Gul'dan is/becomes the Lich King. You can have Garona join the party with Khadgar etc. going to Outland.

Quote Originally Posted by Lylandra View Post
    Oh you can do WC2 based on the movie, it is just harder. What I think will be hardest is the sudden importance of the faith of the Light which has been completely ignored (for reasons I can understand) in the movie. Oh and Dragons.

You can even twist the story in a way that Gul'dan is/becomes the Lich King. You can have Garona join the party with Khadgar etc. going to Outland.
    Dragons weren't introduced for the longest time. They certainly had no place in this movie. The Light is foreshadowed, and as far as I can tell, its origins on Azeroth happen towards the end of the movie.