The Accursed Kings : the proto-GOT

(That point have been brought up by GRR Martin himself, who openly praised those books as an inspiration)

The Accursed Kings (Les Rois Maudits) are something eerily similar in concept to GOT, that is ''powerful families and nobles fighting each other for the crown''. With differences, of course.

-It's even more violent than GOT at times
    -It happens in real world and, with liberties taken, it's [I]mostly/I] historical. You took that people were willing to do anything for the Iron Throne ? Wait till you see what they are willing to do with the throne of France. That could be labelled, for English readers, as the ''Prequels for the Hundred Years War''.
    -The surnatural part is downright inexistant. There is a witch, but her powers mostly boil down to strip naked and have sex with people...(you could argue that this is a lot of the powers of Melisandre previous to Six, but...)

To encourage you to check this serie, the first book open grand style. Two squires are caught having affairs with the daughters in law of King Philip the Fair (Fair as in bishonen). They are sentence to be broken on wheels, then flayed alive, then castrated, then decapitated, then hanged...

Deleted
    How do you hang a decapitated and castrated squire? By his arsehairs?

Deleted
    how do you decapitate someone and THEN hang them?

Well, that point is brought up in the book (in a highly sarcastical way) : being an executor is a very complicated job at times and the sentences are often not very well thought off.

(They hang the bodies by the armpits-but the executors does point out that this is way too complicated)

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    how do you decapitate someone and THEN hang them?
    Meat hook.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Deleted
    I will definitely be checking this at some point. The idea of Game of Thrones but in historical setting and minust the supernatural things sounds amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyllypaladin View Post
    I will definitely be checking this at some point. The idea of Game of Thrones but in historical setting and minust the supernatural things sounds amazing.
    Yeah, as much as I enjoy the supernatural the way its done in GoT, I can definitely see the appeal in a magic-free intrigue.

I get into Historical Fiction too, but I dunno.... I will have to check this out though... if the writing style appeals to me, the drama sounds promising.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does it have rape of young girls to irk the easily offended damsels?