Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgia View Post
    Wow, the comments so far are priceless here. How dare someone get mad over some other healthy individual that is not pulling his own weight...
    lol @ the idea that making under a certain amount of money per year means you arent pulling your weight

Wow, the comments so far are priceless here. How dare someone get mad over some other healthy individual that is not pulling his own weight...
    Working 50-60 hours a week is pulling his weight. Our society is broken in how it distributes the fruits of our labor. We give the most lavish of rewards to people who add almost nothing to the economy, spending their day pushing imaginary numbers around in crap like swap derivatives while not paying people who actually provide services enough to live on without support. Then we have the gall to bitch about somebody using the slight leveling provided by the .gov while thinking wall street gamblers deserve their loot? Insane.

Some fat fuck feeling high and mighty just because she pays taxes. Hilarious. And typical.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karnak View Post
    Working 50-60 hours a week is pulling his weight. Our society is broken in how it distributes the fruits of our labor. We give the most lavish of rewards to people who add almost nothing to the economy, spending their day pushing imaginary numbers around in crap like swap derivatives while not paying people who actually provide services enough to live on without support. Then we have the gall to bitch about somebody using the slight leveling provided by the .gov while thinking wall street gamblers deserve their loot? Insane.
    So all rich people are wall street gamblers?

What about all the rich people who are not wall street gamblers? Do you not think they add to society?

What a bitch, just because some people abuse the system does not mean it's a good system, people who are trying to make a better life for themselves and are in need should be helped.

The issue is not her getting mad. It's how she reacted. You are free to experience whatever feelings you wish. The minute you lose control of them and lash out is when society has a problem. What exactly did she hope to accomplish with her little tirade? For him to agree with her, put all of the food back, cut up the SNAP card and give her his portion of her state taxes back?

She did it to belittle someone else, whom she doesn't know from Adam, because she can. That kind of behavior is the kind of stuff that I would be embarrassed if I found my 3 year old doing it, let alone a grown ass woman.

Also, the man in question reported to work full-time and then some hours. Which is completely possible to still get SNAP benefits depending on the amount he gets paid and the fact that he has at least one dependent. Whether he actually does or not isn't provable, but I wouldn't just default to the assumption that he's lying.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    What's sad is that somebody could require food stamps while working 60 hours a week. What the fuck is wrong with this world?
    A lot. Major issue is rent. Everything else in U.S. is dirt cheap. Problem is when gov't builds new housing, they give it to low class criminals and unemployed people, as a result it turns into ghetto. If gov't built more housing and gave it to non criminals and low income employed people, people like him would not have to work 60 hours and be in food stamp. Housing is the largest part of someone income.

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    A lot. Major issue is rent. Everything else in U.S. is dirt cheap. Problem is when gov't builds new housing, they give it to low class criminals and unemployed people, as a result it turns into ghetto. If gov't built more housing and gave it to non criminals and low income employed people, people like him would not have to work 60 hours and be in food stamp. Housing is the largest part of someone income.
    no

the problem is that when the govt builds a new building

its a road

so housing stays expensive

Assuming it's just him and the kid, that's a 2 person household, to receive benefits he has to be on less than $1,726 per month? If he's working 60 hour weeks that's like $6.50 an hour. Jesus.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/income-rules-income-limits

What's her marginal tax rate? 10-20%? So 6% of that goes to pay for SNAP. About 0.6-1.2% of her income. Boo fucking hoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    What's sad is that somebody could require food stamps while working 60 hours a week. What the fuck is wrong with this world?
    Ain't the world's problem.

Australian minimum wage is $17.29/hr, so a 60 hour week would be $1037. Which is shit but it's a living wage at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Slinkypoe View Post
    What a classless bitch. It's "Your restricted lifestyle offends me.", or "Look at this silly thing - probably Libra - choosing to be poor in assumption I would find amusement in it. If you're still planning on children Helen, make sure, they're born Virgo or Aries."
    she might not have class, she does have point. I mean if you are middle class, you end up paying taxes for hispanic illigal children who enter your local school, their food bill, their healthcare, their phone, their rent and everything else till they are 18. Unlike, ultra rich, middle class americans don't have tax havens. I mean really i had to hold back 1 of my children from college for 3 years, since i could not afford to pay tuition for him, but a hispanic person can send 3 of her children to college simuteniously? How the fuck that work?

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    And this is the problem with many conservatives like the lady in the video...they don't understand reality, and they don't understand math.

Here is the reality, at a wage of $8/hr, the man is likely working 2 jobs at 25 hours to 30 hours each. This averages out to 55 hours / week.

There are only 52 weeks in a year. Assuming he never gets sick (most of those jobs don't have paid time off even for sickness) or takes time off to deal with family matters or see a doctor or go to the DMV, etc, etc, etc; he would work 2,860 hours in a year. That comes out to $22,880 per year. So, where do you think he is going to live, raise a child, pay for rent, food, utilities, etc, etc, etc without aid?

If he lives in any large city, the answer is, he can't. And are conservatives like the woman in the video so fricking heartless that they are offended that someone in need gets some aid to help with raising a child? Seriously? And most conservatives call themselves good Christians... /facepalm

Even more sad is that while the woman in the video is upset that a few pennies of her tax money are going to help a man raising a child, I guarantee that she is absolutely silent regarding the dollars of her tax money going to large corporations to make them even more profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post

What about all the rich people who are not wall street gamblers? Do you not think they add to society?
    You mean heirs like Trump?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

We could try.....killing the poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeyenut88 View Post
    Fuck her and anyone like her.
    No, we don't need anymore of her spawn out and about like that.

I've seen people game the system over food stamps. Those who do, irritate me to no end. Especially since there were times I actually needed to have public assistance, but too ashamed to go in there, because my frame of mind has always been, no matter how bad things get with me, there's someone who needs it and are more deserving of it. I even thought this being desperately close to homelessness not long ago.

The lady needs to shut her mouth. If she had any money of her own, she wouldn't be shopping at walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Assuming it's just him and the kid, that's a 2 person household, to receive benefits he has to be on less than $1,726 per month? If he's working 60 hour weeks that's like $6.50 an hour. Jesus.
    Before people get the wrong idea and think he's working under minimum wage, there are also deductions:

A 20 percent deduction from earned income;
    A standard deduction of $155 for households sizes of 1 to 3 people and $168 for a household size of 4 (higher for some larger households);
    A dependent care deduction when needed for work, training, or education;
    Medical expenses for elderly or disabled members that are more than $35 for the month if they are not paid by insurance or someone else;
    Legally owed child support payments;
    Some States allow homeless households a set amount ($143) for shelter costs; and
    Excess shelter costs that are more than half of the household's income after the other deductions. Allowable costs include the cost of fuel to heat and cook with, electricity, water, the basic fee for one telephone, rent or mortgage payments and taxes on the home. (Some States allow a set amount for utility costs instead of actual costs.) The amount of the shelter deduction cannot be more than $504 unless one person in the household is elderly or disabled. (The limit is higher in Alaska, Hawaii and Guam.)
    So rent and utilities can bump that limit up a fair margin, as well as the deduction for his income being earned.

Quote Originally Posted by wheresmywoft View Post
    Working 60 hours a week is not pulling their own weight? How do people seriously forget that the root cause of people who work full time, YET still need government assistance is very heavily due to the wages put forth by business owners.
    and what is the job they are doing? Issue is automation, if automation become cheap relative to wages, business going to choose automation. Rather than wages, gov't should build houses by american worker i.e. mexican workers (apparently construction is a job americans are not willing to do)

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post

Well, virtually all rich people are involved in wall street gambling. I mean, I am, and I'm not even rich. Sure, I'm not doing the trades by myself, but my 401k manager is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    You mean heirs like Trump?
    do you have problem with that? Whats wrong with heirs? If they are failures, i.e. liberal they would lose their wealth easily enough. At least, trump's parents left him something, rather than reverse mortgaging parents of everyone elses. Here is the thing, wealth mobility were far higher in the past due to family members passing on their wealth to their children. and they actually had family to gather wealth. with single parent households and careless parents how do you think wealth mobility going to be same again?

do you have problem with that? Whats wrong with heirs? If they are failures, i.e. liberal they would lose their wealth easily enough. At least, trump's parents left him something, rather than reverse mortgaging parents of everyone elses. Here is the thing, wealth mobility were far higher in the past due to family members passing on their wealth to their children. and they actually had family to gather wealth. with single parent households and careless parents how do you think wealth mobility going to be same again?
    this post is a goldmine of bad thinking

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    and what is the job they are doing? Issue is automation, if automation become cheap relative to wages, business going to choose automation. Rather than wages, gov't should build houses by american worker i.e. mexican workers (apparently construction is a job americans are not willing to do)
    So long as it is a job, does any situation make a 60 hour work week non contributory?

Automation is going to happen. I don't know why everyone keeps bringing it up as if wages are the only thing holding it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.