Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Entire city of 80,000 people in northern Alberta evacuated due to fire.

Fort Mcmurray as maybe some of you know is the home of Canada's oilsands. There was a fire warning, but it escalated from 0-100 in a matter of hours, from almost no smoke in the sky to it looking like the sun was setting at 3 pm! The hashtag #ymm is currently trending on twitter and it is filled with some chilling tweets.

Here's an article:

I have friends and family stuck on the hwy going north and am extremely worried, just wanted to vent some.

If you feel like donating and helping the displaced people you can do so through the Canadian Red Cross

(This is my first thread pretty much ever, sorry if there's bad formatting. kinda stressed out.)

Fort McMoney as its known, due to everything costing a shitton there lol. i'm not surprised its on fire, its been very dry there recently but its sad news overall.

I have lots of friends living there, it's a very scary situation.

Not just an "entire city" but it's the bitumen oil rush city. But I imagine there's less work going on there than usual...

omg @Tradewind are you okay bruh!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Not just an "entire city" but it's the bitumen oil rush city. But I imagine there's less work going on there than usual...

omg @Tradewind are you okay bruh!?!?!?!
    I live nowhere near The Mac lol. Pretty sure tomorrow is going to be smokey as fuck though, unless the winds just blow it all into Saskatchewan instead.

The sad shit here is that the NDP cut the wildfire management budget like 2 weeks ago lol. Apparently nobody told their support staff and fill in cabinet members from Ontario that Alberta gets wildfires, a lot of them. Almost $400 Million was spent last year on wildfires, this year is going to be even higher.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2016-05-04 at 02:59 AM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

I live in southern alberta, and from all the news i have seen the situation is pretty bad.

They were showing raw footage on CBC - terrifying - seeing the fire mow through entire neighborhoods - and there's literally nothing the firefighters can do :/

Seeing 80 foot+ tall trees go up instantly is just chilling. I really hope everyone makes it out OK!

10+ Year Old Account
    Would it help if we deported Nickelback? Maybe the collective tear could put the fire out.

These extended fire seasons suck. Just to think, the hottest year on record is only 4 months in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I live nowhere near The Mac lol. Pretty sure tomorrow is going to be smokey as fuck though, unless the winds just blow it all into Saskatchewan instead.

The sad shit here is that the NDP cut the wildfire management budget like 2 weeks ago lol. Apparently nobody told their support staff and fill in cabinet members from Ontario that Alberta gets wildfires, a lot of them. Almost $400 Million was spent last year on wildfires, this year is going to be even higher.
    If Manitoba is any indicator the NDP believes they can prevent wildfires by telling campers to go fuck themselves.

It has gotten pretty bad since Tuesday
    Over half the city has burnt down. You can smell smoke in the Calgary area.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does Tennisace live anywhere near that place?

The fire has burnt a Hectare for each person evacuated basically.

Tis a shame, Fort McMurray is my home town, where I was born and raised, and where I intended to work this summer.

Tuesday was the worst. One of my parent's places is in Beacon Hill, which is 80% destroyed. I went out at noon to walk to a McDonalds half a km away for something to eat. Clear skies, wonderful. I walk out of McDonalds with my food, and the sky is becoming darker and darker by the minute. When I got home I phoned the appropriate numbers to see if everything was okay... and I'm told everything is fine, the wind just picked up. Half an hour later the rest of the family comes over with the SUV (my pickup truck is in the shop due to a Transmission leak... wonder-fucking-ful) and we rush our asses to pack up and get out. By the time we left our neighborhood the on fire... the fire had breached it. The Super 8 Hotel and Burger King joint at the top of the hill were burning. Barely made it out of there due to a near collision with running Deers on the road.

Worst event of my life. Made worse by the eco-trolls calling it deserved due to the Oil Sands presence in Fort Mac. But, I won't dwell on that. My family was evacuated safely in our entirety, and it looks like my father's house in another part of town will be unharmed... but I can only hope.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    S/He believes that Alberta's a shitty province, the worst in Canada. Likely not. Probably wasting Alberta's tax money in some eastern province.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Fascists should be marginalized, ostracized, bullied and on the occasion, decked. Their ideology is a cancer in our species.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Bigots don't deserve debate.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Diversity is strength.

If your sub is still active, should contact Blizzard and see if they are willing to do a free month. They have donated for disaster relief in the past so check on that also. Even though I am from Alberta, I dont feel right asking for the stuff for the people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Tennis can't be played in an arctic environment. The kind of ball used for it would crystallize and shatter when it smashes into the ground.

The situation in Fort Mac Murray have absolutely nothing to do with the shale oil industry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saw some footage of people trying to evacuate, looked like hell on earth

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I work there at Kearl, just flew home today few hours ago. It's look like volcano, from up top.
    Its about 60 km away from Fort Mac, and we had quite a few town people staying in workers camps, also hundreds of them were flying away thru Albian Sand aerodrome (owned by Shell).
    Had to sit for 2.5 hrs on tarmac, so many were evacuated and had to be flown first. Good thing they got away.

And to the trolls who is saying its oil sands fault: do you research, @#$%s, before posting @#$p.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    RIP maple syrup

Good to hear you got out.

Yeah, not the oil companies fault, and they are also putting money into helping getting people out, and rebuilding the city.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stacyrect View Post
    RIP maple syrup
    Nah, Maple Syrup is made on the other side of the country, so its safe

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    My dad is out there with some people from Con Air, the B.C based aerial forest fire fighting company, who are helping with putting out the fires.