Elemental Lord Felfaadaern Darkterror's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Preach loves the Bear! (but hates tanking overall in Legion)

Just looking at it, does look more fun than live. The visual is certainly better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q1pnYLVCTE
    Last edited by Felfaadaern Darkterror; 2016-05-04 at 09:48 AM.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

You're doing this here, too? I wonder if this one will get deleted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    You're doing this here, too? I wonder if this one will get deleted.
    Yeah - I didn't know. I edited it to include my thoughts, but we will see. Live and learn I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

I was just excited to hear something positive about both the tanks I plan to play in Legion (DK & Bear). Wasn't trying to advertise and certainly didn't mean to break any rules.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DarklingThrush View Post
    Yeah - I didn't know. I edited it to include my thoughts, but we will see. Live and learn I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

I was just excited to hear something positive about both the tanks I plan to play in Legion (DK & Bear). Wasn't trying to advertise and certainly didn't mean to break any rules.
    I'm far from an expert on the forum rules, but I think links are only allowed when it provides content for discussion.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    I'm far from an expert on the forum rules, but I think links are only allowed when it provides content for discussion.
    Fair enough. Following the various class forums, I've mostly seen griping about Legion changes. And first I heard about the video was about the bleak picture it painted for tanking overall. After watching it myself, my biggest takeaway was Guardian Druids going from last place on his list in pre-launch WoD to first in pre-launch Legion! That's got to be good news for us anyway. I love the new skins, the new graphics, and it was great to hear him talking about how much he loves playing bear right now. The whole thing just leaves me feeling more hopeful and optimistic.

Deleted
    Fair enough. Following the various class forums, I've mostly seen griping about Legion changes. And first I heard about the video was about the bleak picture it painted for tanking overall. After watching it myself, my biggest takeaway was Guardian Druids going from last place on his list in pre-launch WoD to first in pre-launch Legion! That's got to be good news for us anyway. I love the new skins, the new graphics, and it was great to hear him talking about how much he loves playing bear right now. The whole thing just leaves me feeling more hopeful and optimistic.
    I have a boomkin/resto druid and a feral druid, would be cool to make the feral/bear if I like the tank playstyle. I haven't looked into guardian as of yet and I can't really watch the video because I'm sort of working right now.

Horrible fix for a non-existent problem. This why is why WoW will always suck. Severely breaking parts of the game that were working fine to make the game even more noob friendly. And then when the game ships with half of the DPS specs unfinished Blizzard will say "but we overhauled tanking!"

Deleted
    I'm not sure I read into what he really says.

He says that AM is now pretty much useless since it is either gonna kill you anyway or its not worth using in the first place... but in my limited time doing dungeons and heroics and so on, I've found that having mitigation up really does slow down things. It doesn't make you unkillable, but it does have a tangible effect IMO.

Do agree with his assessment on tank rankings, though I'm not as critical on the protection paladin since I just like the buttons you press even if they don't mean much.

From tangible to unkillable is quite a wide area. If it,s to the point that you can't even complete a normal dungeon without a good healer, which by his account it is, then people are going to have a very hard time finding tanks.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's so hard to judge without being on Alpha at this point. Are players just spoiled by our recent godly status? Because it hasn't always been this way. I tanked WoLK and Cata before taking a 3 year break. Since coming back late in WoD, I've been amused at how independent tanks are - especially my blood DK. Only thing I need a party for is to make stuff die faster. Solo Kazz? Sure, as long as I don't mind spending several minutes on it. Not like he can hurt me, unless I snooze and blow a CD. Mythic dungeon bosses? I've soloed several of those after the rest of party died to mechanics. It's fun being independent and capable of saving the day again and again, but it's not something we've always had. So if it goes a bit back the other way, I won't mind too much.

I do want to feel like the buttons I press matter. I want to feel like there's some strategy to it. Tanking naturally draws players who want to control the fights and lead a group to success. If they make the spec brainless, what sort of players will it attract?

On the other hand, tbh, my bear has not been my favorite tank since returning during WoD. I used to love tanking on him in Cata, but he's been kind of boring in WoD. Especially on thrash pulls :P My DK gets to play with GG, Defile, diseases and BB, all while still Death Striking to keep his blood shield up... My bear gets to thrash (ok he can single target between thrashes, but you know...). And that's pretty much how Preach described bears going into WoD. So it's exciting to hear him say they are his favorite tank in Legion.

I was already looking forward to exploring the Emerald Dream. Now I'm hearing that my bear may get to be one of my favorite toons again, and that makes me very happy.

It's so hard to judge without being on Alpha at this point. Are players just spoiled by our recent godly status? Because it hasn't always been this way. I tanked WoLK and Cata before taking a 3 year break. Since coming back late in WoD, I've been amused at how independent tanks are - especially my blood DK. Only thing I need a party for is to make stuff die faster. Solo Kazz? Sure, as long as I don't mind spending several minutes on it. Not like he can hurt me, unless I snooze and blow a CD. Mythic dungeon bosses? I've soloed several of those after the rest of party died to mechanics. It's fun being independent and capable of saving the day again and again, but it's not something we've always had. So if it goes a bit back the other way, I won't mind too much.

I do want to feel like the buttons I press matter. I want to feel like there's some strategy to it. Tanking naturally draws players who want to control the fights and lead a group to success. If they make the spec brainless, what sort of players will it attract?
    Paladin concerns are correct, but that is being looked on in a build, might be this weeks or next week I expect, brewmaster has had some gameplay issues (being fixed next build.), aswell as some pretty heavy tuning issues, but also seem to have a fun playstyle. Warrior is supposedly the most fun to play, druid looks very strong, not sure about their playstyle, and preach's opinion does not seem to line up with other players either. Demon hunters, feel good for the tanks, flat out the worst for healers though. DK seems fairly good.

Preach does not seem to know what hes talking about, calling violet hold, one of the easier dungeons, numerically its by far the hardest in terms of tank damage, had both treckie and slootbag die on me because of some ridiculous tank damage (treckie died from 150% increased tank damage 0.5 seconds after it was applied, so no time to react and dispel with 0.2 sec latency.) the damage in that dungeon is just ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by celinamuna View Post
    Can we not feed Preach's views for no reason
    Amen dudeski

Deleted
    Preach needs to stop posting his opinion as fact.

I've been playing around on beta for a few days now. Doing the intro parts of the artifact quests (phasing is buggy, so it is hard to stick to one toon) to get a feel for what we are looking at for Legion tanking. That being said I have found that out of what I have tried (Warrior, dh, and druid) my top is druid. Both damage output and incoming are more even. I’m not a numbers type of guy, nor am I pro raider, but as of right now guardian is solid. Warrior has great mitigation…if you can ever get the rage to use it (had two mobs on me and was down to 75% health before I could cast IP…tuning is still needed in a bad way). DH seems a little low on damage output, the rest is workable. I think the talent gain system for them is really hurting while leveling.

Keep in mind I am only level 101 thus far, I am not able to power level through beta with work and what not, but I am doing my best to help with all the feedback I can come up with!

I agree with Meatgrinder, while Preacher does a great deal for the community with his how-to vids and early coverage, he needs to rein in the opinions a wee bit. I gave opinions and labeled them as such. I also stated that I didn’t have numbers to go off of, just how it felt and what I noticed along the way. I will report in after a few days or so what findings if you all would like.

If you have ever watched his video, you would know that he always gives his opinion and mentions it often so that people understand it is how he sees it and not how everyone will. He often says people won't like what he says because he talked to others that disagree with him so that you see there are other point of view.