Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    Men who use tools are the real sissies, I use a piece of a 2x4 and my fist to punch nails into stuff(gotta use something to cover fist or nail will go thru the skin).
    I throw nails like darts! I don't need to do that kind of brute smashing

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Man, that just...comes out wrong when I read it... ><
    *giggles* Just because I'm a woman, doesn't mean it has to mean that kind of a job!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Eh, I guess I just enjoy being able to maintain my residence on my own. It certainly SEEMS like a necessity, at least. (Not to mention the fiscal benefits of not needing some guy to come in for a five minute job and charge me $200, argh)
    There is nothing wrong with wanting to have those skills, absolutely not, and should probably be encourage (the more you know, the better). Some just neglect them out of lack of interest or simply having enough money to not bother with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    It looks like a Blood Elf, and it probably is.
    sin'dorei master race!
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynxium View Post
    Does it matter "why?" the guy needs it and naively posted it in a group, instead of being stupid and post a post about it here you could just offer him your fucking help!
    Better yet, slip a harbour freight flyer under their door. Give a man a fish something something....

Personally, I have tools, lots. I do my own repairs on my vehicle.
    When you look at the costs of repairs in shops, often you can buy the parts, and the right tools for the job and still have money left over compared to the shop rate and parts.
    And chances are, after a couple of those adventures, you already have the right tools for the job, so then it's just the cost of parts.
    Last week I replaced the ball joints in my jeep. Had to buy a balljoint press kit.
    Doing the work took me two hours. I saved more than $100.
    Before that I replaced the wheel bearings. Saved more than $100 there too.
    Change your own fluids on a 4x4, save about $200 compared to what cost Mr. Lube offered to change the oil, tranny fluid, tcase fluid, and both differentials.

Now, that's all fairly normal stuff that sooner or later wears and needs replacing, and saving 1000 dollars on it over the year sort of adds up to money for other things.
    And we like other things right?

Now, if it's an issue of skill, thank goodness for youtube vids, someone has done it before, and made a step by step guide.
    It's not like you can do everything ever because you watched a video, know when you are getting in over your head...but truthfully, a person can learn to do a lot of basic stuff and save money on outrageous shop time costs.

And yes, even my mother has a basic toolkit.
    Which makes me wonder, was it maybe a sly attempt to make a new man-friend by some lonely woman?
    'needed, one handy-man for screwing and hammering' LMFAO
    Last edited by Bigbamboozal; 2016-05-04 at 05:37 PM.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    I get all those.. except the circular saw.

Why the circular saw?!
    Its the cheapest of the powered saws, I would honestly saw a Miter saw, but those can be pricey. You never know when you may need to cut a 2x4 or some pvc or anything really, hand saws can get it done but a decent powered saw is worth its weight in gold.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    We use these for that purpose.
    In English, the word for those is "thumbtack".

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    I have quite a few tools in my apartment, even though some of them i never expect to use. Im just the kind of person who is rather too prepared than underprepared, so if i ever need something fixed, even if i hire someone for it, i wouldnt want to waste their time when they come over and realize they forgot something.

But about people not understanding why some people just wouldnt have any tools, it sounds kinda elitist. Ive lived in places where even for putting a nail in the wall you needed the landlords permission, and theyd come over and do it. It was to avoid people messing up rented apartments, and accidentally hitting electricity cables or water pipes. Not elitist in the way that you'd be rich or anything, but elitist in the way that you perceive certain skills you posses to be superior to those of others. The people who dont have these tools still manage to survive and deal with it just fine. I could make a whole list of skills that could be perceived vital in life, from being able to work with a pc, replace a tyre, know the basics of other religions and their holidays, fix small tears in clothing and being able to speak english well enough to communicate when on vacation. But learning skills you never needed in life, just to complete a checklist others put together seems rather stupid.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't own any of that stuff. I've never changed a tire, put together a piece of furniture, or changed the oil in a car. My dad tried to interest me in that kind of thing when I was a kid. Along with things like hunting, guns, camping trips, fishing, joining sports teams, watching sports on TV, and other assorted boring crap. he gave up as I resisted even past punishment in some cases.

Why, you ask? It's not because I'm a "sissie" or some high school bs term like that. Its for 3 reasons: all that stuff bores the hell out of me, a lot of it ( not all, obviously) is tied to the rightwing lifestyle i've rejected since i was old enough to think for myself, and I have no need to.

Because I don't have to. This isn't the middle of last century. I have a good job and no dependents, so I pay people to make problems go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    I could do 5 minute job for 100
    I'll do it for 75 :P

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Its the cheapest of the powered saws, I would honestly saw a Miter saw, but those can be pricey. You never know when you may need to cut a 2x4 or some pvc or anything really, hand saws can get it done but a decent powered saw is worth its weight in gold.
    Agreed! you know....I think a angle grinder with cut-off wheel is the close second now though...circular saw used to be the unquestionable winner for most used, but dang a grinder with cut-off wheels are so damn handy...just cuts through 1/4" plate steal like butter Nevermind that you can take the cut-off wheel off and use different attachments. Angle grinder for president
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuesdays View Post
    If multiple tools are required, like the hammer and screw driver its on the box, but holy shit who doesn't have a screw driver? You can use a rock wrapped in cloth as a hammer ffs!

Hell if I have a wrench in one room and a hammer in another, but I am feeling lazy I will use the back of the wrench as a hammer sometimes lol

I'll do it for 75 :P
    But...I'd do prettier job with it!

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Hell if I have a wrench in one room and a hammer in another, but I am feeling lazy I will use the back of the wrench as a hammer sometimes lol
    I'm surprised you don't use a gun as a hammer....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

acceptable, we've always just used.. a hand saw >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    I don't own any of that stuff. I've never changed a tire, put together a piece of furniture, or changed the oil in a car. My dad tried to interest me in that kind of thing when I was a kid. Along with things like hunting, guns, camping trips, fishing, joining sports teams, watching sports on TV, and other assorted boring crap. he gave up as I resisted even past punishment in some cases.

Why, you ask? It's not because I'm a "sissie" or some high school bs term like that. Its for 3 reasons: all that stuff bores the hell out of me, a lot of it ( not all, obviously) is tied to the rightwing lifestyle i've rejected since i was old enough to think for myself, and I have no need to.

Because I don't have to. This isn't the middle of last century. I have a good job and no dependents, so I pay people to make problems go away.
    Changing a tire is not suppose to be fun...

Much like learning to cook outside of a microwave, he was attempting to impart some real world skills on you.

Now how you went from a tangent about tire changing, oil, and assembling furniture to guns and hunting is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    acceptable, we've always just used.. a hand saw >.>
    Certainly, and it will get it done.

Coming from a construction family background. I have my top tier Estwing hammer, a dozen or so ChanLLocks, and more screwdrivers than I can count.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

Wow...buddy, if you drive, you should learn some basics, like how to change a flat and jump a battery and how to change the fluids... It's like...you rather pay through the nose than get some basic skills? Hmm, guess there's a sucker born every minute.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    On FB I belong to a group for my neighborhood.

Maybe I am overblowing it, but how does someone not own a hammer and a screwdriver? To make matters worse, this is a neighborhood of homeowners. How do you own a house and not have these two common tools? I'd even go as far as saying renters would strike me just as odd not having them.
    I never owned (had a need for) a hammer until I became a home owner, though I rarely even use it. I have a vast collection of screw drivers, but mainly because I work on computers. The funny part is I'm the son of a carpenter, but my carpenter skills are pretty bad, thus I normally pay to have most things done.

It is a bit surprising to come across a homeowner that doesn't have a hammer and screw driver, unless it's a case of having kids and those items just "disappeared"

I don't own any of that stuff. I've never changed a tire, put together a piece of furniture, or changed the oil in a car.

all that stuff bores the hell out of me, a lot of it ( not all, obviously) is tied to the rightwing lifestyle i've rejected since i was old enough to think for myself, and I have no need to.

I'm not sure why you added being tied to a right winger, my dad does all those things and has been a life long democrat. It's great if you can get away with never changing a tire or have a flat at the perfect time. I came back from a trip and when I got to the car the tire was flat, and because it was late, it was going to be over an hour wait for someone to come change it, so I took 30 mins and changed it myself.

Somethings it's more about being empowered to do things yourself than being at the mercy of others.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2016-05-04 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    But...I'd do prettier job with it!
    Yeh, this is probably true.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Agreed! you know....I think a angle grinder with cut-off wheel is the close second now though...circular saw used to be the unquestionable winner for most used, but dang a grinder with cut-off wheels are so damn handy...just cuts through 1/4" plate steal like butter Nevermind that you can take the cut-off wheel off and use different attachments. Angle grinder for president
    Oh yeh, the angle grinder........what a work horse that guy is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Wow...buddy, if you drive, you should learn some basics, like how to change a flat and jump a battery and how to change the fluids... It's like...you rather pay through the nose than get some basic skills? Hmm, guess there's a sucker born every minute.
    [IMG]http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/midas/5eebe796e28488b9b3982d0c1425237/202567559/asshole-mechanic.jpg[IMG]
    ^^^^ truuuuuuuth.

Done so much work on my car that'd have me in debt or carless if I had to go to a shop, nngh.