Poll: Do you believe in pure evil? If so, do you think criminal punishment should be severe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    "Evil" is a childish concept made up by people who believe in childish things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    You said it was incorrect, it's not incorrect, which these links proves.
    No it doesn't. The law clearly states that you should get a minimum of 2 years. Some judges makes mistakes, doesn't change what the laws says though.

It also depends on the circumstances. In the first article you linked the guy way 17 years old, which is the reason why he got such an light sentence. The guy in the second one was not convicted for rape in the first place, but they later changed it. I don't know why they didn't also change his sentence.

The law is pretty clear if you actually read it.
    Last edited by zephid; 2016-05-05 at 01:12 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    By strong punishment I presume you mean death. Then no. No capital punishment ever, no matter what. My belief is the strongest penalty should be : life imprisonment in solitary confinement with no chance of parole. Frankly I can't imagine a worse hell than that, not on this Earth.

As for pure evil, yes I do believe in it, but not in human beings.

Not even the archetype of human evil, Adolf Hitler, was 100% bad. For example, he was very fond of animals and was near-merciless towards animal cruelty and poachers.

Deleted
    I don't believe in gods or devils or in any other supernatural "good" or "evil" beings or powers.

However I do believe that some people are evil and corrupt beyond redemption, or at least everything they do only spreads suffering and inhumanity and benefits the agendas of dishonest, cruel, selfish, sadistic and violent people -- and they don't even see it as a bad thing.

I believe in evil in the sense that there are people who are a serious threat to society, and have no chance of ever reintegrating into it, and we'd really be better off getting rid of them. That's not "pure evil" in some philosophical sense like there's some clear objective standard. If there was, different societies would actually be able to agree on the concept of "human rights".

Unlike some people I do not see that and immediately conclude "well that must mean every society (except my own of course) is pure evil!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.