Page 1 of 2
LastLast

San Andreas fault 'locked, loaded and ready to roll' with big earthquake, expert says

I am concerned for my L.A Brothers & Sisters.

I did study Geology & Phys Geography at Uni..

This article makes me concerned..

We are Here..The World will HELP L.A

should the worse happen...

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...504-story.html
    I must remember not to post stupid stuff when very drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    I suspect that when it happens the news will be about the looting and not about the disaster.

Maybe California will break off and fall in the ocean?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, really is just a matter of time now. I suspect in the next 2 years somethings gonna give

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    Had to think of this. https://youtu.be/kCpjgl2baLs?t=85

Key words that the article glossed over are “trapped”, “sediment” and “basin”. These aspects of the L.A. geology are what makes seismic design in the L.A. area tricky. Picture the L.A. area as a bowl of jello. Seismic energy enter from one side of the bowl, reach the other side, and instead of passing through, part of the energy rebound back into the bowl. This back and forth effect can last quite awhile which makes for a longer earthquake duration. As the article mentioned, even an earthquake with epicenter as far north as Monterey, can have devastating effect in L.A. because of this aspect of the local geology.

The model shows the issue perfectly. By the time the seismic energy reaches San Diego/Mexico border, the L.A. basin will still have significant shaking going on from the trapped energy.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2016-05-05 at 03:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Secession is illegal.
    Someone throw the book at them.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmmm

No shit. They get earth quakes from there and there have been recorded instances of massive quakes in the last 150 years.

It's been that way since San Francisco had it's 7.8 magnitude earth quake. People are always waiting for the next big one.

Why the bay looks so odd is you're seeing a fault line of the San Andreas fault, that's a crack in the Earth that the water filled in. We make fun of them saying after the next big earthquake we'll have the ocean front property.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Not denying the dangers unique to California now.
    But there is also a portion of panic attached right now, due to the recent earthquakes along the ring of fire zone.

Be more concerned about the Super Volcano under YellowStone. Experts have been waiting for San Andreas to go for a very long time.

7+ Year Old Account
    We can only hope...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    Be more concerned about the Super Volcano under YellowStone.
    That won't blow up in your lifetime, nor that of your grandchildren, should you ever have any.
    It might take several more thousand years for it to blow up, if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    But there is also a portion of panic attached right now, due to the recent earthquakes along the ring of fire zone.
    There are always earthquakes in the ring of fire zone... it's a tectonic hot spot. That's why it's called the ring of fire.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

10+ Year Old Account
    People are always predicting the next "big one" in California. At some point someone will be right, but I'm not holding my breath.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    There are always earthquakes in the ring of fire zone... it's a tectonic hot spot. That's why it's called the ring of fire.
    With recent I meant the large ones that caused casualties and destruction.. not your average rumblings..

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    People are always predicting the next "big one" in California. At some point someone will be right, but I'm not holding my breath.
    That's because predicting earthquakes is bloody hard. If you can manage that, accurately and consistently, you'll become the king of seismology.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Not really. Off hand Oregon, Washington and Alaska are all subject to similar magnitude earthquakes. In fact they are subject to potential 9.0 or higher magnitude events from the offshore subduction zone.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    People have been predicting the 'big one' in California for as long as I can remember. Nothing new in that department.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Most countries that suffer from earthquakes have far harsher building codes than the US does. At the very least in areas as prone to quakes as California, the building code should be updated. It seems they are making an effort in that direction but it is much harder to reinforce existing buildings than build them to last through such an earthquake from the start. E.g hilariously considering our level of corruption in Greece, the building code here results in constructions that can weather significant earthquakes of magnitudes of 7+ Richter (ofc not all buildings are to code, I know several buildings that were condemned after previous quakes that were never demolished).
    I'm not sure what you are talking about. Building codes here in California are constantly updated and earthquake retrofitting has been an ongoing process since the early 80's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    That's because predicting earthquakes is bloody hard. If you can manage that, accurately and consistently, you'll become the king of seismology.
    Yup. Maybe we should start fracking around the San Andreas Fault. Induce some seismicity and release some of the tension along the fault so that you get several "small ones" instead of one "big one."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Most countries that suffer from earthquakes have far harsher building codes than the US does. At the very least in areas as prone to quakes as California, the building code should be updated. It seems they are making an effort in that direction but it is much harder to reinforce existing buildings than build them to last through such an earthquake from the start. E.g hilariously considering our level of corruption in Greece, the building code here results in constructions that can weather significant earthquakes of magnitudes of 7+ Richter (ofc not all buildings are to code, I know several buildings that were condemned after previous quakes that were never demolished).
    NorCal at least, is pretty well built for earthquakes. Lots of wooden housing and buildings that are designed to flex with the waves. I know SoCal had a lot more concrete which caused problems during the Northridge quake, but I imagine they've improved over time too.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!