2016 Video Game Hall of Fame Inductees

And they are:

-Grand Theft Auto III
    -The Legend of Zelda
    -The Oregon Trail
    -The Sims
    -Sonic the Hedgehog
    -Space Invaders

Personally I disagree with GTA, The Sims and Sonic getting inducted ahead of other candidates like Elite, Street Fighter II, Tomb Raider or Civilization.

Museum news found here.

GTA3 is a genre defining game. Absolutely it should be in.

7+ Year Old Account
    That isn't the order I would've picked, but I find it hard to complain too much when I think they all deserve to be in the Hall of Fame. The others will still get in... they'll just have to wait a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I know I said this in the last topic, but Sonic just seems like such a weak choice.
    Why? Sonic was amazing for it's time. It's as popular and game defining as Mario.

Signature Created by Jassinta

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Why? Sonic was amazing for it's time. It's as popular and game defining as Mario.
    I don't want to sound like a Sega hater, but I think Sonic is the mascot for Sega consoles... which is awesome, but it's like being the popular person in a small town. Sega, as a whole, hasn't aged nearly as well as many of the Nintendo classics. It makes me wonder if it was ever that awesome, or if it simply coasted along and became really popular because it was competition to Mario.

Personally, I think of Sonic as being the competitor to Mario, and being an "ok" game series. I don't view it as a must-play classic, but I'm willing to set that aside as personal bias, rather than definitively claim the games were mediocre. Besides, when it comes to hall of fame, I don't think you have to be the best game... I just think you have to make an impact on the industry as a whole, and I don't think anyone can deny that Sonic accomplished that.

How, exactly? (Note that simple, "Popularity" ought not really be a measurement for something like this.)

Sonic certainly didn't pioneer or popularize a genre, platformers were already "the thing", and what "new" things Sonic brought to the table never really made an impact on that - or any - genre. It was mostly hyper-generic platforming that you did fast.
    I guess I can't really say how. I just feel like Sonic was a revolutionary platformer for it's time. Though to be fair it took what Mario did and improved upon it so I can see how saying it isn't worthy is fair.

Signature Created by Jassinta

How, exactly? (Note that simple, "Popularity" ought not really be a measurement for something like this.)

Sonic certainly didn't pioneer or popularize a genre, platformers were already "the thing", and what "new" things Sonic brought to the table never really made an impact on that - or any - genre. It was mostly hyper-generic platforming that you did fast.
    The first thing that pops into my mind is Sonic 2 having multiplayer that allowed both players to play at the same time, not sure if it was done before that, usually it was swap on death type of thing. But that's not Sonic 1.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
    This.

/10c

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    The first thing that pops into my mind is Sonic 2 having multiplayer that allowed both players to play at the same time, not sure if it was done before that, usually it was swap on death type of thing. But that's not Sonic 1.
    IIRC, Excitebike used split screen for multiplayer races, which is essentially the same thing you got with Sonic's multiplayer.

Edit: Disregard, I'm thinking of the race function, not the part where player 2 can just control tails.

Edit 2:I think Bubble Bobble had 2-player co-op, though. Regardless, lots of old beat 'em ups definitely featured same screen co-op action.
    Last edited by Sheevah; 2016-05-05 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheevah View Post
    IIRC, Excitebike used split screen for multiplayer races, which is essentially the same thing you got with Sonic's multiplayer.
    Welp, I suppose that's what I get for thinking only on a platformer level!

I'm still not sure a game needs to revolutionize anything though to be worthy, I mean, Sonic basically made Sega (yes, Sega was around before making Sonic, but so was Nintendo before Mario, I think you get the point), and even after pulling out of the console business, Sega is still a pretty big company I'd say.
    I mean, it created basically a cult, and Sonic's probably on the top 10 list of why to avoid deviantart!

Quote Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
    But ahead of other genre-defining games like Street Fighter II, Tomb Raider, Civilization or Elite? The only thing GTA brings to the table is it was 'adult' and therefore generated controversy.

And I agree Sonic should be inducted, but I feel it should've waited another round or two to get there.