Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Flowers every week? Don't get bored of it?
    Her reaction tells me : no, not bored.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    So it is all about practical benefit for you? Sounds like a very robotic world view.
    A gift that is beneficial is a good thing. The only good thing I got from my ex is she gave me a scarf. I wear that scarf every winter. Good and warm.

That was a hell of a gift that has real investment value.

No.

I generally do not like giving presents/gifts to anyone at all. It doesn't matter if it's family, friends, partner, colleague, if I can avoid it I do so.

Yes I know it can make people really happy to receive a gift of some kind, and I know I do enjoy myself when it happens, but I still don't like it one bit and I continuously tell others that I don't care about getting gifts and that I will not give others gifts 99% of the time.

For one thing, I find that gift-giving is tied in with special occasions and holidays, like birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas/Hannukah (sorry if that's spelled wrong)/etc etc. I don't see why that's a tradition people enjoy so much.

Is it a surprise to get a gift? Sure, if you don't know what it is, obviously. Is it a surprise to get a gift on your birthday? Not really! That's just about standard, usually, at least where I'm from.
    I like to think that such occasions can be celebrated in various ways, sure, but it doesn't have to involve a random gift, especially not if it's from some wishlist the individual made. I'd rather give people money so they can buy exactly the thing they want so that it doesn't end up in returning gifts or whatever. But money is kind of a boring present so I wouldn't really bother.

If I were to give a present, or receive for that matter, I think it would be so much better, in some perfect world, that you get it a random day when you don't expect it at all AND that it's something simple the person actually wants but might not buy because it's not that big a deal to lack said item/etc etc.
    Example? I dunno, a Warcraft fan thinks the plushies are cute as hell but doesn't buy them because whatever. Then their partner randomly holds one up and goes, "Here you go!" and much joy is had. Could be anything really.

Possibly a very pessimistic POV, I know loads who think I'm crazy for it, and it's possibly because I didn't get my birthday celebrated like other kids cuz mine was in the middle of the Summer holidays so I didn't come to school and get song and whatever silliness you did back then. So there's some potential psychology for ya! :P

Enough of my short story of gift-giving so:

----TL;DR----

No.

Except when it's on a random normal day and it's just the right gift that someone's been wanting but never bought themselves for whatever reason.

The End :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Title.

Do you enjoy giving gifts to your significant other? I feel like it is an issue that is forced upon you to remain competitive in today's society. I think gifts are so vain and pointless. Also they cost money and time to go out and get.

Now, I don't expect people to give me gifts, because then I feel like I owe them something, and I hate having unpaid debts.

Maybe I am just odd about this. My last g/f a few years ago was a real gem. Said she didn't want any gifts, so I literally didn't spend a dime on them. Good times, and economically beneficial.
    I buy my SO gifts at random, not out of competition, but because I like to see her smile. She knows i love her, no obligation to buy stuff. If I'm out shopping, and i see something I think she might like, I'll snag it. It means something to her, whether it's a set of 4 scented candles, or a Robo Raptor Blue to chase her cats around with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really. Occasionally she might surprise me with hockey tickets or I'll take her to see a play but otherwise we focus that "gift" money towards weekend vacations and whatnot that we both enjoy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Not really. Occasionally she might surprise me with hockey tickets or I'll take her to see a play but otherwise we focus that "gift" money towards weekend vacations and whatnot that we both enjoy.
    Do you like plays as well? I imagine Chicago would have all sorts of interesting plays.

Or is it more something to make her smile?

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you like plays as well? I imagine Chicago would have all sorts of interesting plays.

Or is it more something to make her smile?
    I honesty liked Wicked and I wanted to see Spam-a-lot but never got around to it.

It's something she enjoys more than I do, but there are some really good performances around here.

Not a play but the last thing we attended was the Distant Worlds: Music From Final Fantasy show at the Chicago Symphony Center. That was cool for both as well.

*Huzzah 5,000th post!*

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoy making other people happy. I can't make myself happy, so its the next best thing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    I honesty liked Wicked and I wanted to see Spam-a-lot but never got around to it.

It's something she enjoys more than I do, but there are some really good performances around here.

Not a play but the last thing we attended was the Distant Worlds: Music From Final Fantasy show at the Chicago Symphony Center. That was cool for both as well.

*Huzzah 5,000th post!*
    I have not been to a play in awhile.

Most times I do go to one I am very pleasantly surprised. It is very impressive what a proper setup can do, with wonderfully crafted stages, music, lighting, and actors.

I need to enrich my life more and spend less time on the interwebs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have not been to a play in awhile.

Most times I do go to one I am very pleasantly surprised. It is very impressive what a proper setup can do, with wonderfully crafted stages, music, lighting, and actors.

I need to enrich my life more and spend less time on the interwebs.
    Not exactly a play but Blue Man Group is a pretty awesome show if you've never seen it. Lots of laughs with some stellar music.

I hate receiving gifts unless the person really knows me. I especially hate it on set holidays because I know it was done out of societal pressure or obligation. I do not give gifts on holidays.

I love giving people gifts I know they will love. I love it more than receiving.
    A DWARF IS ONLY AS STRONG AS HER HAMMER.

Title.

Do you enjoy giving gifts to your significant other? I feel like it is an issue that is forced upon you to remain competitive in today's society. I think gifts are so vain and pointless. Also they cost money and time to go out and get.

Now, I don't expect people to give me gifts, because then I feel like I owe them something, and I hate having unpaid debts.

Maybe I am just odd about this. My last g/f a few years ago was a real gem. Said she didn't want any gifts, so I literally didn't spend a dime on them. Good times, and economically beneficial.
    i feel you mate! waste of money and time. relationship should not be based on how many gifts you got from your significant other

VERY much so.... one of the worst things about not making what i used to is having to give less... :/ it was always fun to randomly send somoene a gift/flowers or whatever. or just pay for drinks for the gang . /sigh.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    In general I find it fun and it makes me happy. If I could do it more often, I would. The expressions on their faces alone makes it worth it.

i love giving and receiving gifts ^_^ mine showers me with a ton of gifts and i like to get him some stuff to surprise him with too. One day i'll come home to a new pair of shoes, the next day I'll come home to some pokemon stuff i like to collect, then another day i'll come home to makeup that has been on my wish list or a gift card for victorias secret or something xD.

He also cooks for me all the time which is really nice to not to have to worry about cooking lol. The other night I came home to a nice dinner, and my nice garden tub had candles all around it, grapefruit mineral water and a nice glass to drink while i bathe and relax, with lavender epsom salt to soak my body in cause I sit at the office all day at work ^_^

i think i am spoiled and it feels nice..lol

10+ Year Old Account
    i enjoy giving VERY SPECIAL gifts to draenei. they are usually brown.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeupOnFLEEK View Post
    i love giving and receiving gifts ^_^ mine showers me with a ton of gifts and i like to get him some stuff to surprise him with too. One day i'll come home to a new pair of shoes, the next day I'll come home to some pokemon stuff i like to collect, then another day i'll come home to makeup that has been on my wish list or a gift card for victorias secret or something xD.

He also cooks for me all the time which is really nice to not to have to worry about cooking lol. The other night I came home to a nice dinner, and my nice garden tub had candles all around it, grapefruit mineral water and a nice glass to drink while i bathe and relax, with lavender epsom salt to soak my body in cause I sit at the office all day at work ^_^

i think i am spoiled and it feels nice..lol
    There's nothing wrong with being a bit spoiled, it's definitely nice to get such attention though, I must say.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Right, except you framed it like there is a balance sheet being kept. That is fucking insane, cut anyone like that from your life. As I am by ignoring you.
    I am sure I will recover, angry person from the internet. Carry on.