Obama Advisor Openly Brags About Lying to Public, Media Yawns

Remember that time the White House deceived those gullible Americans about the Iran deal? Haha, good times!

That was the undeniable tone of a recent New York Times profile of President Barack Obama‘s national security advisor Ben Rhodes. In the profile, Rhodes goes on at length about his failed attempt to become a novelist, and how he sees his work at the White House as essentially the same kind of storytelling and narrative-weaving. And when crafting his non-fictional storylines involved selling the American people fiction, well, Rhodes was more than up to the task.

Apologies for the long block quote, but it really does need to be read to be believed:

Rhodes’s innovative campaign to sell the Iran deal is likely to be a model for how future administrations explain foreign policy to Congress and the public. The way in which most Americans have heard the story of the Iran deal presented — that the Obama administration began seriously engaging with Iranian officials in 2013 in order to take advantage of a new political reality in Iran, which came about because of elections that brought moderates to power in that country — was largely manufactured for the purpose for selling the deal. Even where the particulars of that story are true, the implications that readers and viewers are encouraged to take away from those particulars are often misleading or false. Obama’s closest advisers always understood him to be eager to do a deal with Iran as far back as 2012, and even since the beginning of his presidency…

In the narrative that Rhodes shaped, the “story” of the Iran deal began in 2013, when a “moderate” faction inside the Iranian regime led by Hassan Rouhani beat regime “hard-liners” in an election and then began to pursue a policy of “openness,” which included a newfound willingness to negotiate the dismantling of its illicit nuclear-weapons program. The president set out the timeline himself in his speech announcing the nuclear deal on July 14, 2015: “Today, after two years of negotiations, the United States, together with our international partners, has achieved something that decades of animosity has not.” While the president’s statement was technically accurate — there had in fact been two years of formal negotiations leading up to the signing of the J.C.P.O.A. — it was also actively misleading, because the most meaningful part of the negotiations with Iran had begun in mid-2012, many months before Rouhani and the “moderate” camp were chosen in an election among candidates handpicked by Iran’s supreme leader, the Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. The idea that there was a new reality in Iran was politically useful to the Obama administration.

By obtaining broad public currency for the thought that there was a significant split in the regime, and that the administration was reaching out to moderate-minded Iranians who wanted peaceful relations with their neighbors and with America, Obama was able to evade what might have otherwise been a divisive but clarifying debate over the actual policy choices that his administration was making. By eliminating the fuss about Iran’s nuclear program, the administration hoped to eliminate a source of structural tension between the two countries, which would create the space for America to disentangle itself from its established system of alliances with countries like Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Israel and Turkey. With one bold move, the administration would effectively begin the process of a large-scale disengagement from the Middle East.

It’d be one thing if the New York Times dug through archives, spoke with anonymous government officials in hushed tones, and independently came to the conclusion that the White House was lying to Americans about the purpose and history behind the Iran deal. That factoid alone ought to be the front page headline in papers across the country rather than consigned to page 44 of the Sunday magazine.

To say nothing of that last paragraph, where we learn that the long-term policy goal of the administration is to “disengage” from Israel and our Arab allies and wash our hands of the Middle East. In line with that policy, the purpose of the Iran deal is not to protect our allies, but to abandon them. That’s not just a repudiation of forty years of American policy, it’s a vindication of everything critics have claimed about Obama’s policy for years.

But a sitting White House official is openly admitting all this in an on-the-record interview with a journalist for America’s most prominent media institution. He does so without a hint of shame or any sense that these admissions might face a backlash. Rhodes’ laying out of his many deceits reads less like a mea culpa and more like a comic book villain’s monologue after he knows the heroes are too late to stop his plan. The arrogance and lack of accountability here is simply breathtaking.

What galls me the most is that Rhodes wasn’t talking about some retired talking points on a bygone issue. I guarantee if you asked Obama himself about the Iran deal tomorrow, he would rattle off all the same talking points Rhodes blows up here. Rhodes didn’t admit the administration lied to us, he admitted that they’re actively lying to us.

As it turns out, they have help. Rhodes told the Times all about how the administration propped up hundreds of foreign policy “experts” for reporters to rely on, all of whom actually just parroted the administration’s talking points.

In the spring of last year, legions of arms-control experts began popping up at think tanks and on social media, and then became key sources for hundreds of often-clueless reporters. “We created an echo chamber,” he admitted, when I asked him to explain the onslaught of freshly minted experts cheerleading for the deal. “They were saying things that validated what we had given them to say.”

Worse, Rhodes’ assistant goes on to tell the Times all about how certain people in the media could always be counted on to help sell their fictions.

In this environment, Rhodes has become adept at ventriloquizing many people at once. Ned Price, Rhodes’s assistant, gave me a primer on how it’s done. The easiest way for the White House to shape the news, he explained, is from the briefing podiums, each of which has its own dedicated press corps. “But then there are sort of these force multipliers,” he said, adding, “We have our compadres, I will reach out to a couple people, and you know I wouldn’t want to name them — ”

“I can name them,” I said, ticking off a few names of prominent Washington reporters and columnists who often tweet in sync with White House messaging.

Price laughed. “I’ll say, ‘Hey, look, some people are spinning this narrative that this is a sign of American weakness,’ ” he continued, “but — ”

“In fact it’s a sign of strength!” I said, chuckling.

“And I’ll give them some color,” Price continued, “and the next thing I know, lots of these guys are in the dot-com publishing space, and have huge Twitter followings, and they’ll be putting this message out on their own.”

It’s apparently now a laughing matter that some of the most prominent reporters in Washington are nothing more than mouthpieces for the administration. I remember when it was considered a journalistic scandal that the media might not have tough enough on George W. Bush‘s claims about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. But now, the fact that the White House is openly colluding with prominent journalists (and this is well-known enough that a Times reporter can rattle off their names) is greeted with a shrug.

Despite these multiple damning admissions being published in a widely-read national outlet, the Rhodes profile has been essentially ignored by the media. Conservative outlets like The Weekly Standard and the Washington Free Beacon have covered the story, but not a single major outlet has touched it. Again, it’s hard to imagine a Bush administration official could have given an interview where they even implied they actively misled the public without it dominating cable and print news alike.

I’m reminded of the initial apathy the traditional media had towards the Jonathan Gruber story, another instance where a key administration ally shamelessly bragged about deceiving the public. They basically had to be dragged kicking and screaming into covering Gruber after more than eight damaging videos spread like wildfire across conservative outlets. Even then, the story received only sparse coverage until Republican congressmen held hearings on the matter.

It’d be easy (lazy, really) to chalk this up entirely to a liberal bias. There is a degree of that to be sure; many reporters probably see Obama’s inclination towards disengagement from the Middle East and making peace with Iran as admirable goals, and his deceit as justifiable. There’s also probably a degree of elitism at play; the average American’s understanding of foreign policy just isn’t as sophisticated as us elites, the thinking goes, so naturally they have to be misled.

But I think the real reason Rhodes’ interview hasn’t gotten more play is because most journalists are so jaded and so cynical, they failed to see that the admission was even all that newsworthy. Everyone knows the White House lies to the public and reporters, everyone knows that certain reporters are too close to the administration, everyone knows there’s a huge gulf between Obama’s rhetoric on Iran and Israel and his actual beliefs. Having a White House official come out and say so was like Clay Aiken coming out of the closet: you were only shocked if you weren’t paying attention.

That’s the real scandal here: not that the White House lied, not that they admitted to lying, not that they admitted that the media and “experts” helped them lie. The real story here is that this is all so typical, most Washington insiders failed to realize this was something that the average American would even be outraged by.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/obama...c-media-yawns/
    Do I really even need to comment on this? I better not because the powers that be look for any reason to shut down negative threads about Obama and his administration. so I'm going let the article speak for its self
    Last edited by Vyxn; 2016-05-06 at 05:52 PM.

Nobody with a clue seriously thinks that Rouhani has any power or is anything other than a sock puppet. So fools got fooled by someone using basic misdirection. Sure, it's kind of shitty that they used misdirection on the gullible.

And the ultimate goal is to get out of the Middle East? That's a good thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    Do I really even need to commitment on this?
    How do you commit to a news article?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    *yawn *

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Nobody with a clue seriously thinks that Rouhani has any power or is anything other than a sock puppet. So fools got fooled by someone using basic misdirection. Sure, it's kind of shitty that they used misdirection on the gullible.

- - - Updated - - -

+1

How is this news what so ever ? Politicians being politicians more news at 11.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    *yawn *
    /thread
    /yawn

10+ Year Old Account
    So that whole article boiled down to the White House saying "we reached a deal with Iran" instead of "blah blah blah months of negotiations, blah blah agreed to this this and that, blah intricate details no one cares about or understands, blah" with the media mirroring it and how it equates to lying to the public.

Cool

- - - Updated - - -

Just like how Obama care was sold to the public on a pack of lies a tactic right out of Sal Lewinsky's rules for radicals how the ends always justifies the means

we have been Grubered once again

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    So that whole article boiled down to the White House saying "we reached a deal with Iran" instead of "blah blah blah months of negotiations, blah blah agreed to this this and that, blah intricate details no one cares about or understands, blah" with the media mirroring it and how it equates to lying to the public.

Cool
    It's Vyxn, don't expect an accurate summary of an article. Expect his title and comments to infer things that aren't even there in the name of bashing Obama. Meanwhile his excuses for Trump's misconduct are legendary levels of hypocrisy.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Just like how Obama care was sold to the public on a pack of lies a tactic right out of Sal Lewinsky's rules for radicals how the ends always justifies the means

we have been Grubered once again
    It must suck to live in your world where you're apparently surprised that you're getting lied to all the time.
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Cool
    and I can tell you didn't read the article because it has how Ben Rhodes lied and got the media to lie to the public about the Iran deal so to sell it to the public and him bragging about doing so

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    So... what's the issue here? I get it, lying is bad, but if everything turns out better for it in the end and they even admit to it afterwards, why be so upset?

and I can tell you didn't read the article because it has how Ben Rhodes lied and got the media to lie to the public about the Iran deal so to sell it to the public and him bragging about doing so
    You got to come up with a better source than "mediaite.com". It looks like a click bait site.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

It must suck to live in your world where you're apparently surprised that you're getting lied to all the time.
    You like lies from those you support? Or you like lying to those who don't support your ideology? Seems pretty simple that this administration has basically no integrity aside from doing anything and everything to make Obama look like the son of Allah.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    You like lies from those you support? Or you like lying to those who don't support your ideology? Seems pretty simple that this administration has basically no integrity aside from doing anything and everything to make Obama look like the son of Allah.
    It comes with the territory. Who said anything about liking it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    You got to come up with a better source than "mediaite.com". It looks like a click bait site.
    Mediate is NOT clickbait. There was an article in the NY Times that prompted this. There is a link to it in the Mediate article.

BTW - OP does not have to "come up with a better source". Go do some research on your own if you don't believe it.

Deleted
    Obama is a piece of shit. He is a consummate liar.

"If you like your doctor, you can keep him".

It comes with the territory. Who said anything about liking it?
    They were questions, i was curious if you were OK with the lies since..well you seem to be just dismissing them. Granted we know the OPs MO and what not, but i think this is pretty telling of just how corrupt the government is currently in the US that folks like this guy are sought out, and lies to the american populace are good for political careers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    We can only go from vyxn's source but it appears that http://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnn-repor...investigation/

FBI found no wrong doing of the Clinton email "Investigation".
    You are as bad as those saying she should be in jail right now, how about you just wait for the FBI investigation to be concluded instead of trying to score political points about an issue that will be resolved one way or another.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I read the actual New York Times article, the article that served as the basis for the lie filled article you have linked... Where Rhodes not only didn't come close to bragging, but decried the spin... Said it would scare him if done by others, that he would prefer to have reasonable public discourse on these topics, but that it was impossible because people are fucking retarded.

Yet Rhodes bridled at the suggestion that there has been anything deceptive about the way that the agreement itself was sold. “Look, with Iran, in a weird way, these are state-to-state issues. They’re agreements between governments. Yes, I would prefer that it turns out that Rouhani and Zarif” — Mohammad Javad Zarif, Iran’s foreign minister — “are real reformers who are going to be steering this country into the direction that I believe it can go in, because their public is educated and, in some respects, pro-American. But we are not betting on that.”

In fact, Rhodes’s passion seems to derive not from any investment in the technical specifics of sanctions or centrifuge arrays, or any particular optimism about the future course of Iranian politics and society. Those are matters for the negotiators and area specialists. Rather, it derived from his own sense of the urgency of radically reorienting American policy in the Middle East in order to make the prospect of American involvement in the region’s future wars a lot less likely. When I asked whether the prospect of this same kind of far-reaching spin campaign being run by a different administration is something that scares him, he admitted that it does. “I mean, I’d prefer a sober, reasoned public debate, after which members of Congress reflect and take a vote,” he said, shrugging. “But that’s impossible.”

Yeah I read the actual New York Times article, the article that served as the basis for the lie filled article you have linked... Where Rhodes not only didn't come close to bragging, but decried the spin... Said it would scare him if done by others, that he would prefer to have reasonable public discourse on these topics, but that it was impossible because people are fucking retarded.
    Right, its the american populace that are the problem and not the ruling class in Iran.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trolling the forum with this when it isn't true (anyone reading the original article can see that) isn't acceptable here. There is no point to this thread other than to get a rise out of people.