Thread: Gtx 1080

Page 64 of 103 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    http://videocardz.com/60232/amd-rade...-on-polaris-10

AMD Radeon R9 470 and R9 480 are based on Polaris architecture

Everyone (me included) was wondering if AMD is going to market Polaris 10 as R9 490 series. Should AMD decide to use Polaris 10 for 490 series, competitive performance to higher-end cards would be expected. Should AMD use P10 for 480 instead, we would expect good performance per dollar,competitive mid-range solution and R9 390 series replacement.

Well today I can finally tell you that we have confirmed through our independent sources that AMD is launching Radeon 470 series and 480 series in the next few weeks, and that Radeon 480 series are based on Polaris 10.

AMD has been very secret about Polaris GPUs to its partners. Company has only started sharing detailed information just few weeks ago.
    AIBs won’t show Radeon R9 480 series at Computex

The lack of concrete information has definitely affected the production of custom Polaris boards. What’s interesting is that AMD has not even allowed its partners to show prototypes at Computex. It means that — at best — we can only expect presentations of new cooling solutions, but nothing that could be called officially named after Radeon 400 series, unless… AMD changes its mind.

I still think I'll wait to see the AMD cards that match the price points. The 1080 is an awesome piece of hardware. Sept-Oct-Nov is the best time to catch good deals on cards. That's probably when I'll make a best bang for the buck decision.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cool but, shouldn't that be in the Polaris thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Cool but, shouldn't that be in the Polaris thread?
    that thread seems dead tbh, all the new GPU discussions happen here

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    that thread seems dead tbh, all the new GPU discussions happen here
    It's dead because there is nothing to talk about. All we have are rumors that are based on rumors most of the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't check 4Gamer's review until now. Kind of exactly what we were talking in terms of architecture. Exactly the same as Maxwell except for the 4SM per GPC vs 5SM per GPC. Not up to par with Anandtech in terms of details, but is a lot better than most sites now that I read it.
    http://www.4gamer.net/games/251/G025177/20160517060/
    Also never noticed (well, I didn't really look through their reviews much to begin with) that they noted all the control panel settings too which I think a lot more review sites should do.
    http://www.4gamer.net/specials/4g_be...gulation.shtml

10+ Year Old Account
    One more week of this entertainment left.... then the new entertainment starts =P

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    I suspect otherwise, frankly. Founder's Edition has a pretty meh cooler. It seems naive to me to expect these other companies to look at nVidia's pricetag and think, "Boy, we need to compete with that." Naw, I expect them to go higher instead.
    The reasoning that I am seeing to believe that maybe they'll go cheaper is the following:

1) The Founder's Edition isn't going to be a massive production, it's going to be limited, thankfully. NVidia pretty much never makes as many reference cards as the other companies make of their versions.
    2) Thus, we'll see the market flooded with the competitive third-party brands... and supply and demand is still a working theory.3
    3) Remember, the MSRP is $100 cheaper than what NVidia is selling for - that should speak volumes.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

so 1070 is Titan X level

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    1) The Founder's Edition isn't going to be a massive production, it's going to be limited, thankfully. NVidia pretty much never makes as many reference cards as the other companies make of their versions.
    Not that limited. They said, they will sell it the entire life cycle of the chip. Usually, reference cards are sold our quite quickly, limited batch and what not. But this time it should be around the entire time.

The reasoning that I am seeing to believe that maybe they'll go cheaper is the following:

2) Thus, we'll see the market flooded with the competitive third-party brands... and supply and demand is still a working theory.3
    3) Remember, the MSRP is $100 cheaper than what NVidia is selling for - that should speak volumes.
    1) I don't remember where I saw it it, but there was a video of nVidia talking about it and they are changing that this time. There will not be a limited number, they will continue to offer the FE for sale throughout the life of the product.
    2) No news here
    3) MSRP means jack shit, really. It's Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price, nothing more and nothing less.

In my industry, MSRP means literally nothing as well. Manufacturer's set the MSRP high and sell high so they do not compete with their distributors. However, that is comparing apples to apples as it is literally the exact same item, you just pay less buying it from me, a wholesale distributor, than direct from the manufacturer, because the manufacturer does not want to deal with your piddly 1 case order. They only want my 10-50 case orders.

However, since we are dealing with products that vary in performance it's not apples to apples. Do you really think that the third-party board manufacturer's will sell something that performs better for less? For some reason, I seriously doubt that.

It's like the difference between a Mustang GT and a Shelby Mustang GT. The FE cards are the Mustang GT, with an MSRP. The Shelby GTs are bought by a third party, modified, then sold for more. That is almost exactly what we have going on here. The third party boards will be superior to the FE, the same way a Shelby GT performs better than a Stock Mustang GT.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I know full well what MSRP means, thanks buddy.

That doesn't change the fact that usually vendors stick close to it with their lower-end variants and don't often venture too far above, unless you want something like LOLKINGPANGSTUPID or LIGHTNINGGGGG, etc etc.

Still, I'm not saying what will happen, just what I'm hearing from other folks. I'm interested to see how this pans out. I can hope they chill out by the MSRP, but I won't be surprised if they venture more expensive than the FE. A fool's hope, perhaps!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I know full well what MSRP means, thanks buddy.

That doesn't change the fact that usually vendors stick close to it with their lower-end variants and don't often venture too far above, unless you want something like LOLKINGPANGSTUPID or LIGHTNINGGGGG, etc etc.

Still, I'm not saying what will happen, just what I'm hearing from other folks. I'm interested to see how this pans out. I can hope they chill out by the MSRP, but I won't be surprised if they venture more expensive than the FE. A fool's hope, perhaps!

and usually the MSRP matches or is a lot closer to what nVidia sells the limited time reference editions for. That is not the case this time around. This time around, nVidia is selling them for $100 above and offering them for the life of the card. So you can't really base what is going to happen on what did happen, because everything changed.

I agree, I do hope that they will offer cards closer to the MSRP, but I seriously doubt it because whatever they do to it will be better than what nVidia is putting out. Better Performance = Higher Price. Even if they put out "cheap" ones that perform about the same as nVidia reference design, if it performs the same, why would they sell it for $100 less? I mean, $20-30 less so people buy yours and not the reference, ok, makes sense. But to sell it at MSRP is like throwing money away. If people are willing to buy the FE at $100 over MSRP, they'll be willing to pay $90 over MSRP for mine that performs the same. So if they can sell them at that price, they will. The only hope I have is that the various third parties get into a price war and do get down and dirty, but we'll have to wait and see.

This kind of sucks. Since I want an Asus gtx 1080, I have to wait to build my new pc. I have all the pieces I need ready to buy besides the The 1080.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    This kind of sucks. Since I want an Asus gtx 1080, I have to wait to build my new pc. I have all the pieces I need ready to buy besides the The 1080.
    Isn't it a better idea to just wait for the 1080Ti? If you're in the market for a 1080 you're also in the market for a 1080Ti I guess.

Well, if the 1080Ti really uses GP102 and not GP100 then whatever, it'll be simply disappointing.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2016-05-25 at 04:28 PM.

Yea, I can get a 1080ti, but the wait would be much longer, and I want to play in 1440p! It was supposed to be a gift from my wife for moving to an apartment she really liked.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    The only price slashing that MAY cause the 970 to fall are 2 things and 1 is even very unlikely to happen, both unrelated to 1070/1080 launch as you stated.

1: Polaris 10 comes out with a card that is insanely cheap and beats the 970.
    (whilst this is likely to happen the price cut will likely NOT happen from this since the 970 has no "future" left as it's getting replaced, so what's in stock will be the last of the stock and this happens worldwide not geography based, this is simple economics)

2: nVidia released the 1060 which directly competes for the performance spot vs. the 970 but at a cheaper price.

The likeliest to occur is 2 since 1 is fun and dandy but I've seen it time and again internationally (I travelled a lot, now not happening without a job) that old tech prices do not drop unless there's a compelling reason to from the seller's own camp.

Because, unfortunately I might add, there are a factor of 100 more people who don't have a clue and don't know the performance details and simply want an nVidia card.
    As much as you may think this ridiculous this is simple psychology combined with economics.

Again nVidia holds tiers of performance, as long as the tier isn't violated by a new product it will retain the price for the most part.
    They will likely lower the cost but not nearly as much as you think as the costs of production still need to be gotten from it.
    This is pretty much correct. The only way you'll get massive price drops on anything tech wise is if it's refurbished or production has ended and retailers still have a surplus. And by 'surplus' I don't mean half a dozen GPUs on a shelf. Cuz that's just normal stock. Surplus would be a warehouse full of them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Well, if the 1080 really uses GP102 and not GP100 then whatever, it'll be simply disappointing.
    Rumors are also pointing towards GDDR5X...