Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Well, I'll give him (someone liberal-leaning) some credit for calling out backwards people in other cultures

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Trying to think of comedy shows that critiqued Obama, hmmm none comes to mind.
    They've made fun of him not getting shit done because of the partisan war in congress, aggressive use of drone attacks, because he mumbles at times, and other little quirks, but surprise surprise, Obama is an intelligent man that doesn't say terrible or stupid shit and know how to behave himself, unlike for example many republican senators. Basically, wrong things with Obama isn't moldable into humor as easy as the low hanging fruits of his republican colleagues.
    Mother pus bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    BTW, I'm completely lost about why this dude is called ''the trump of the east'' (far from me to suggest that people would vote for people just because they are loudmouths hurling insults, far from me).

He is not advocating for a wall (obviously), he is is not advocating for bringing back jobs from the USA to the Phillipines...
    Because people are so politically polarized nowadays that 'building a wall' is morally equitable to 'mowing down people with death squads.'

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but you could probably count on one hand, maybe it will take both, the times John Stewart really tore into Obama. Occasionally John would get mad about something Obama did or didn't do. I normally watch the Daily Show just to get my daily Republican bashing fix, because you could count on that every day of the week. Personally, I thought the show was better in the early days when it seemed less political and more random comedy.
    Sure, he didn't do it a lot, but he did it when Obama was fucking up which is when it counts. To be fair, he attacked republicans more because there was simply more to attack them on. Their craziness/stupidity on a daily basis was the fuel for his show. Seeing as how I disagree with Obama on a lot of things I still appreciated the fact that when Obama was making bad calls or trying to protect his political allies he got called out on it. It's not something I ever expected on a daily basis though because he didn't do things often enough that were worth calling out. I'm sure people will disagree with that but at least that's how I view it.

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    The Daily Show frequently took shots at him.

To be frank, Obama isn't making it easily. Comedy shows can only make fun of stuff if it's asinine to begin with.

Heck, even John Oliver takes shots at him,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jne-rKuvQw&t=2m13s
    You can't be serious...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    They've made fun of him not getting shit done because of the partisan war in congress, aggressive use of drone attacks, because he mumbles at times, and other little quirks, but surprise surprise, Obama is an intelligent man that doesn't say terrible or stupid shit and know how to behave himself, unlike for example many republican senators. Basically, wrong things with Obama isn't moldable into humor as easy as the low hanging fruits of his republican colleagues.
    Obama is a tool, anyone who is intelligent can see that. Sheeple will never question anything he says

10+ Year Old Account
    Jesus Christ. Is an economic downturn all it takes to bring the crazes and their supporters out of the woodwork.
    Yes, history merely repeats itself. It only takes a few generations to forget mistakes made in the past. Just a matter of how far we let these mistakes go.

It is very common for people to not vote rationally but to merely express their frustration voting anti-political.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Allerius View Post
    Protip: comedy shows aren't a quality source of realistic analysis.
    Protip: When comedy shows are better sourced, better written, easier to understand and far more entertaining, the rest of the worlds media is doing a terrible fucking job at journalism to begin with.
    Last edited by Manabomb; 2016-05-09 at 02:12 PM.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Deleted
    Very true and it's sad you need to say it
    It's not true at all and it's sad that some people actually believe it. Comedy has nothing to do with how realistic something is but some people, like yourself, associate comedy with lies or fiction. This is typical for people who don't agree with an argument and instead of arguing they try to discredit the author.
    While jokes are generally exaggerations, in this type of show popularized by Jon Stewart jokes are there to complement the topic of conversation, not replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNobody View Post
    It's not true at all and it's sad that some people actually believe it. Comedy has nothing to do with how realistic something is but some people, like yourself, associate comedy with lies or fiction. This is typical for people who don't agree with an argument and instead of arguing they try to discredit the author.
    While jokes are generally exaggerations, in this type of show popularized by Jon Stewart jokes are there to complement the topic of conversation, not replace it.
    It's entertainment, to get laughs, no one who really wants to understand any subject in an unbiased way would ever take such a show seriously. This is one of the reasons America is dumbing down, our news is nothing but entertainment as well

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Yes, history merely repeats itself. It only takes a few generations to forget mistakes made in the past. Just a matter of how far we let these mistakes go.

It is very common for people to not vote rationally but to merely express their frustration voting anti-political.
    With modern technology, where we can easily externalize memory (i.e. writing it down) and disseminate it (e.g. Internet, TV, Books ... etc.) ... it would be fucking sad if Humanity is still like Sisyphus, ever rolling that bolder of his up the hill, only to see it come crashing down again and again.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    It's entertainment, to get laughs, no one who really wants to understand any subject in an unbiased way would ever take such a show seriously. This is one of the reasons America is dumbing down, our news is nothing but entertainment as well
    Because you don't get voters and commonfolk interested in political and world news by listing it to them. Most grown ass adults in the world are middle-aged teenagers with the ability to control their emotions in public. Informing them, even if its through entertainment, is more valuable than pretending that news and political information is such a super serious topic when we have a clown car and a wrecking ball running for president.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    Protip: When comedy shows are better sourced, better written, easier to understand and far more entertaining, the rest of the worlds media is doing a terrible fucking job at journalism to begin with.
    I'd say that yes, Jon Stewart's Daily Show was well written, biased to the left (of course), but called it like it was for the most part. Oliver's show is terrible and rarely, in my eyes, put fact over bias. Jon Stewart put fact over bias for the most part. That is why his show had such a big following.

Thanks to Rivellana for an awesome signature

10+ Year Old Account
    With modern technology, where we can easily externalize memory (i.e. writing it down) and disseminate it (e.g. Internet, TV, Books ... etc.) ... it would be fucking sad if Humanity is still like Sisyphus, ever rolling that bolder of his up the hill, only to see it come crashing down again and again.
    Accessibility to information is plenty but with that comes also a lot of misinformation. Take note that people still don't believe the holocaust existed and that the camps were more like vacation camps with swimming pools.

Deleted
    Just cause it's entertainment, to get laughs, doesn't automatically mean the information is false. Some people got the idea that comedy and truth are mutually exclusive.

Also guess what, everyone is biased, every single news show you like (or dislike) is subjective. When you say you don't take a show or media organization seriously because it's biased garbage i think you're in the majority on this forum but when i read something like this my brain translates it with "<news source 1> is biased because it conflicts with my world view, i'm getting my information from <news source 2> which is objective because it reinforces everything i believe"

Spoiler Alert: The Philippines had a semi successful (i.e. semi failed) communist revolution in the 1980s, and hasn't yet stabilized. The people want somebody who will keep them safe, not some politically correct career politician that kisses SJW ass.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNobody View Post
    Just cause it's entertainment, to get laughs, doesn't automatically mean the information is false. Some people got the idea that comedy and truth are mutually exclusive.

Also guess what, everyone is biased, every single news show you like (or dislike) is subjective. When you say you don't take a show or media organization seriously because it's biased garbage i think you're in the majority on this forum but when i read something like this my brain translates it with "<news source 1> is biased because it conflicts with my world view, i'm getting my information from <news source 2> which is objective because it reinforces everything i believe"
    Drinking Water can kill you. This sentence is not false, this is the equivalent of how much information and facts you get from a typical political story.

Now you know why most of the country is always thirsty.

I love it! Nationalism is spreading everywhere and globalism/multiculturalism is on the retreat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Allerius View Post
    Protip: comedy shows aren't a quality source of realistic analysis.
    That's the sad thing about American liberals. They get their analysis from comedians like John Stewart or this guy and then act like they're intellectuals.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    Nationalism is spreading everywhere and globalism/multiculturalism is on the retreat.
    Minus globalism on the retreat, I think you are right.

Seems trouble is brewing pretty much everwhere right now and many people see politicians as the cause.
    This century is starting to become a lot like periods in the 19th and early 20th century, only this time on a global scale.

Deleted
    Drinking Water can kill you. This sentence is not false, this is the equivalent of how much information and facts you get from a typical political story.

Now you know why most of the country is always thirsty.
    Well, it can if you live in Flint Michigan, so this information could save your life
    Anyway, bad analogies aside, it seems there is a thin line between fact checking or searching for reputable sources and paranoia.

Are you going to ever comment on the content of the video, which is the actions and views of the next President of the Phillippines, or are you just going to keep derailing this topic about how awful the medium is in which this content is presented?