Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by miguelcrespo85 View Post
    Do you guys play shooters for the story or for PVP?
    Depends on the game. In my experience, games designed for multiplayer PvP from the get-go never have decent story, and games designed for story usually don't have very good PvP. Because the dev team is focusing on one, or the other, and story in particular lends itself to a single-player experience.

Overwatch was never intended to have in-game story in any major sense. Neither did earlier games in the genre. It's all about the action. You don't need a story to back games like chess or the like, either, because the game itself is what you're there for.

Deleted
    Currently, I don't think it is. I paid for the basic edition and don't feel like it is worth it, maybe once the competitive mode comes out along with the improvements to it. I've put closer to 30 hours into the game and as a solo queue experience it is about as bad as Heroes of the Storm was for me, maybe it'll be better after launch, will have to test and see. The game has very little content outside of it, the unlocks take awhile to get, you have to win 5-8 games in a row to get one level which will hopefully get you a box with something worthwhile.

Rarely there's anything good and as the duplicates give you so few coins, it takes long time to get what you want. Which wouldn't be bad if the game didn't quickly get repetitive without premades to play with. Most of my friends are MMORPG players and won't play this game more than casually or they are busy with Diablo 3 season 6. For me it isn't worth the money I spent on it.

I personally think it's worth the $60 (though I'm a guy who literally bought everything on the Heroes of the Storm shop). However if you need PVE, I would like to recommend Battleborn. It's a little different, but there's a campaign and it's very good.

Deleted
    A short story campaign may come in the future. but I'd pay 80 for this game. maybe more. I love it.

Deleted
    I'll most likely get a refund shortly after open beta ends. It is fun playing with friends, but your friends wont be always there and they'll also play different games. And ranked wont be avaible with launch. They should've made it like HotS, free-to-play.

Give it a try. No seriously the beta ends tomorrow.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

It's a shooter. I would personally never play a campaign.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Depends on the game. In my experience, games designed for multiplayer PvP from the get-go never have decent story, and games designed for story usually don't have very good PvP. Because the dev team is focusing on one, or the other, and story in particular lends itself to a single-player experience.

Overwatch was never intended to have in-game story in any major sense. Neither did earlier games in the genre. It's all about the action. You don't need a story to back games like chess or the like, either, because the game itself is what you're there for.
    I'm curious as to how you know there was never meant to be a story. As far as I'm concerned, Overwatch was never going to happen until they decided to change their direction with Titan. That announcement came prior to them announcing Overwatch at blizzcon so that means that they had a decent amount of work done already. There could potentially be a story that they're saving for when the game officially releases, maybe even a campaign. Because if Titan was supposed to be an MMORPG-FPS, that means a story is mandatory, but the question is how much did they change from Titan to Overwatch. Because the announcement to change the direction of Titan was close to when they announced Overwatch, I'm under the assumption they have more in store for us.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Waiting for a half off....

I'm enjoying Paladins and Battleborn more anyway (these games are how I expected OW to play anyway plus better content ideas).
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Deleted
    Not at all. There is just no content. I was bored after a few hours in the Beta already. Unlocking these boring Skins is absolutely no motivation.

Currently there is no story in overwatch, aside from tiny meaningless text about every hero.

I played OW in open beta with a few friends and it was fun for the first few hours.

After we have played all the heroes on all the maps it got very very boring.

Since you can't change your weapons (like in tf2) and you can't upgrade your hero (like in dota), the gameplay is EXTREMELY shallow and limited.

After playing for 3 hours we got extremely bored of it and decided not to play more OW or even purchase it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    Waiting for a half off....
    Im with you on that. It was ok some stuff was fun but i dont see myself getting into it long term

Having played the closed beta for 50+ hours, I will say YES, it is worth the $40 to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Septik View Post
    Im with you on that. It was ok some stuff was fun but i dont see myself getting into it long term
    C'ya in two years.

I just want the PVP. Thats what is delivered for 40 bucks.

No, but it is worth the 40 bucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    I'm curious as to how you know there was never meant to be a story.
    From last Blizzcon; http://kotaku.com/overwatch-has-a-st...yer-1657036638

This has been known for months now, really. It's not that "there was never meant to be a story", just that it was never meant to be expressed in classic form, with single-player experience and cutscenes, within the game itself.

I feel it's worth the 60$ given I plan on playing it quite a lot. but I'm surprised they are making the console version origins only. if I didn't want to play with a KnM I'd get the collectors edition for PS4.

i mean you can see all the maps/modes in one day itll only ever change due to playing with / against diff people which imo gets very old very fast. But to each their own. I personally want a shooter(first person or third person) with an epic story.
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

Quote Originally Posted by miguelcrespo85 View Post
    Ok this is my honest opinion for OverWatch.

First off I would like to say that I like playing shooters with a Campaign and without it I get bored very fast.

I played the Beta for a few days and it was pretty fun. Mostly played Vs AI. The characters felt very unique from one another and i actually liked. And it hurts that this game is just focus on PVP Aka Esports. Why couldnt Blizzard add a 4-5 hour campaign for each Hero? I would never know.. so the question is, is this game worth the 60 dollar price tag for us console players? The answer is No sadly For NOW. Maybe they will add Chapters with mini stories that we can play through but this will be a pass for me.

Do you guys play shooters for the story or for PVP?

its really fun and all. but im waiting until it becomes free to play with in game transactions. like hearthstone and heroes of the storm.
    not worth the 40 dollars for pc and i wouldnt pay 60 on console.

I don't really play shooters, and the majority of those that I do end up playing I do the campaign since I'm not too good a shot. That being said, I love Overwatch and it's PvP focus drew me to it. Since it's not just "insert fancy name for deathmatch here", it makes swapping hero's meaningful and there's plenty of alternatives to the usual guns used in most shooters made today. So for someone whom normally avoids pvp shooters, yet got drawn into it, it's well well worth 60$.
    Probably one of the best things about it too is it's so quick to play. I can get a match in quickly and it's only 10~ minutes at most. Or if you have more time and get some friends in it's even better since you all play off of and laugh at the funny deaths you end up in.