Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Anime] Spring Season 2016

For whatever reason I feel like despite a lot of people liking anime on MMO Champ (at least from all the anime avatars I see) we don't get much discussion about each season of anime as a whole. I figured I'd start up the conversation and since pretty much every show has gotten several episodes out, everyone should have a good idea of what they like and what they don't.

If we feel like it we can also use this thread to discuss specific shows but just make sure to use spoiler tags if you want to go into specific details.

My Hero Academia - Damn... this show is so fucking good. I love how they've set up the main character's progression. He truly has to work his ass off despite being given the most powerful quirk. Every episode is a ton of fun to watch. I heard it's only like 12 or 13 episodes though which is disappointing. I hope it gets a second season.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress - Made by the studio who made Attack on Titan and it definitely shows. It gives me similar story vibes as well. I think it has a lot of potential. I'm not going crazy over it but I do look forward to it every week.

Kiznaiver - I fucking love this show. All the characters are likable. All of them. Plus Studio Trigger (of Gurren Lagann and Kill La Kill fame) are killing the animation. I'm not sure where they're going to take the show but the premise is super interesting.

Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto - I decided to watch a couple episodes because the premise seemed ridiculous. It was pretty funny, but I worry that it will get repetitive quickly. I dropped it but am definitely willing to pick it back up after the season ends if the recommendations are good.

Big Order - I dunno about this show. This is made by the writer of Mirai Nikki, a show that I liked quite a bit despite its many flaws, but this shows gives me a bit of the same vibes and I don't really think I want another show like Mirai Nikki right now.

I have a lot of other shows that I am interested in but I'm not sure if I should hold off until they are over or not. Been burned too many times by bullshit anime only endings or "go read the manga" endings.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    For whatever reason I feel like despite a lot of people liking anime on MMO Champ (at least from all the anime avatars I see) we don't get much discussion about each season of anime as a whole.
    I don't supposed you've visited our second anime megathread?

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...high-Thread-II

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't even know that section of the forums existed.... Dunno why it wouldn't be in this subforum.

Didn't even know that section of the forums existed.... Dunno why it wouldn't be in this subforum.
    We shit post and go off-topic so frequently that we aren't really fit for a "strict" forum such as this one.
    Chat zone has more relaxed rules for all the "chat threads" such as the anime one.

Quote Originally Posted by Asetotti View Post
    We shit post and go off-topic so frequently that we aren't really fit for a "strict" forum such as this one.
    Chat zone has more relaxed rules for all the "chat threads" such as the anime one.
    Tends to be why I personally avoid it most of the time, a seasonal thread here would be nice.

OT: I tend to only watch seasons after they are done but stuck with Kumokoro & Re:zero. Both started interesting (I like my mechs for the former), but have dipped as the episodes came out imo. Both just need to get the ball rolling a bit more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't watched any this season yet. What are the popular ones?
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Boku No Hero Academia is probably the most popular and in my opinion the best of the season.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress is quite good as well. Definite Attack on Titan vibes.

I really like Kiznaivers. I've heard everyone who watched it really likes Flying Witch but I don't think it's my kinda thing.

Re:Zero is quite good as well. I stayed away from it because it started as another "Dude gets ported into a video game" but it's actually really different.

That's all I've been watching because I tend to stay away from shows I'm not 100% sold on until they are finished, but I've heard good things about Joker Game and Bungou Stray Dogs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I'm dragging my ass this season so far. I watched the first episode of Hero Academy and wanted to wait till it's all out to start it. I have been watching Assassination Classroom Final Season weekly and that is about it. I will watch all the full length shows at the end of the season it's a pain waiting weekly cause I forget half of what was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Kabaneri of the Iron Fortrees and Assassination Classroom have been at the top of the polls this season, and are IMO also among the best this season.

Also this season, a lesser known anime called Shounen Maid, which is by far my most favorite.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really watch much anime as it airs as I prefer to marathon it when the season is over. The only two I have been watching week to week have both been fantastic however. Boku No Hero Academia is just really good. Great cast of interesting characters and surprisingly well written and paced. At first it felt like it was moving kinda slowly but it actually has been to the series' benefit as it has really let the main character and his personality be well established. Not just rush head first into the action like many other similar series would do because I guess they think the audience will get bored otherwise. Sadly, I believe it is only going to be 12 episodes long, but it is almost certainly going to get another season.

The other series I have been watching is Flying Witch. I am a sucker for a nice, feel good, easy going slice of life series and this is one of the best I have ever seen. Reminds me a lot of series like Aria, a personal all time favorite of mine, in that it focuses on small moments of life in a slightly magical and laid back setting. Very relaxing. Great cast (Chinatsu is the best!). Great music. Not laugh out loud funny, but always puts a smile on my face. It's really good to put on an episode when I am feeling a bit stressed out or depressed and it instantly cheers me up. A great healing anime as I like to call them.

A number of years ago it was in this subforum, but the amount of off-topic posting and just general chat in it grew to the point where the mods moved it over to Fun Stuff subforum. That's about when I stopped checking in with the thread. I guess at some point it was moved (or a new thread was made) in the Chat subforum.
    Last edited by Skizzit; 2016-05-29 at 06:04 AM.

what do we got in terms of darker plots?

Like, Higurashi dark.

This spring I'm currently watching

BIG ORDER
    Boku no Hero Academia
    BUNGOU STRAY DOGS
    HUNDRED
    JOKER GAME
    Koutetsujou no Kabaneri
    Magi: Sinbad no Bouken
    Netoge no Yome
    Re: Zero
    Sakamoto desu ga?
    Sousei no Onmyouji

and assassination classroom from the leftovers of last season. Although only Re: Zero, Koutetsujou no Kabaneri, bungou stray dogs, Assassination Classroom, and Boku no Hero Academia are the only ones that i can say i truly look forward to watching the next episodes. Magi: Sinbad would be too but the 5 OVAs that came out before the season kinda ruined it since they are almost identical to the first 5 episodes of the season so its just now getting into new stuff. The rest are just fillers when I'm not watching the others.

The Summer season I can see myself watching 12-14 animes from the list
    Last edited by kaamila; 2016-05-29 at 07:58 AM.
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz | Asetek 550LC 120MM Watercooler | MSI Z97 PC MATE | XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB | ADATA 16GB DDR3-2133MHz XPG V3 |
    1TB WD Caviar Blue | 128GB Sandisk Z400S SSD | NZXT Phantom 410 | EVGA 750W SuperNova G1 80+ GOLD | External 2TB WD Elements

Quote Originally Posted by Ceronash View Post
    what do we got in terms of darker plots?

Like, Higurashi dark.
    I'm not watching that many anime this season but Re:Zero kara Hajimeru isekai seikatsu is pretty dark and is probably enjoyable if you liked Higurashi.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaamila View Post

The Summer season I can see myself watching 12-14 animes from the list
    Don't get me fucking start on next season. D Gray Man returning? FUCKING HYPE!? Season 2 of Food Wars (AKA the best anime besides FMA: Brotherhood) HYPE. Season 2 of Heroic Legend of Arslan? LETS GO. Berserk returning? LETS FUCKING GO.

Everything else I am unfamiliar with so I'll just go with whatever recommendations I get, but those 4 shows are enough for me. Next season is going to be amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any news on Kingdom season 3 ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't get me fucking start on next season. D Gray Man returning? FUCKING HYPE!? Season 2 of Food Wars (AKA the best anime besides FMA: Brotherhood) HYPE. Season 2 of Heroic Legend of Arslan? LETS GO. Berserk returning? LETS FUCKING GO.

Everything else I am unfamiliar with so I'll just go with whatever recommendations I get, but those 4 shows are enough for me. Next season is going to be amazing.
    If you like Food Wars, you should check out Yakitate!! Japan It's also about food competitions (in this case baking) complete with wacky characters and over the top reactions. The reactions are less pervy and way more comedic in Yakitate though. It's easily in my top 10 favorite anime of all time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Sakamoto, while enjoyable, still feels like an inferior Tonnaru-san.

Top 5 of the season for me is,

1. Anne happy
    2. Macross
    3. Flying Witch
    4. Bakuon.
    5. Sansha Sanyou

Further ratings(a bunch dropped already).

GuP movie is also out and subbed, loving the new OST tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Tends to be why I personally avoid it most of the time, a seasonal thread here would be nice.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    GuP movie is also out and subbed, loving the new OST tracks.
    [video=youtube;gyo4SU7fx4g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyo4SU7fx4g[video]
    Why does it have Säkkijärven polkka?
    Nipps, what?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Why does it have Säkkijärven polkka?
    Nipps, what?!
    A Finnish school was introduced in this movie.

I'm not watching that many anime this season but Re:Zero kara Hajimeru isekai seikatsu is pretty dark and is probably enjoyable if you liked Higurashi.
    This one starts off kind of on the light side but now on episode 7 (or is it 8?) while still retains some light elements has really gone to some dark places. I am unfortunately hooked up my ass on this anime and I sort of wished now I hadn't started so I could see all of it all at once but now that I am hooked I have to watch every week.

This anime is kind of like edge of tomorrow/groundhog day but I believe takes a step further than either of those 2.