U.S. Fighter Jets Join Finnish and Swedish Cross Border Training

http://www.newsweek.com/us-fighter-j...g-457581?rx=us

U.S. Air National Guard fighter jets have joined exercises by non-aligned Finland and Sweden, in a larger push to strengthen ties with the Nordic states, Finland’s Air Force reports.

Around 150 U.S. personnel and six Boeing F-15 fighters from the Oregon National Guard arrived at Finland’s Rissala air base, in its eastern region of Karelia on Monday. Although not formally members of U.S.-led NATO, Finland and Sweden both have the option to join the alliance on their initiative and have participated in joint exercises with NATO allies for years.

On this instance, U.S. F-15 jets will join the Cross Border Training drill, held by the Finnish and Swedish Air Forces, with the aim of raising their readiness to determine and respond to threats in their sovereign skies.

The practice maneuvers will include both air combat training and refuelling practice, lasting until May 20.

This is far from the first squadron-level visit of U.S. F-15 fighters to Finland, as U.S. pilots were first deployed to Finland’s Pirkkala air in 1997. The move of joining the drill near Finland’s border with Russia, does represent the U.S.’s growing concern with Moscow’s western reinforcement.

While Kremlin officials have repeatedly threatened to retaliate in light of NATO’s increased rate of rotating troops and kit through Eastern Europe, the Nordic countries have also been the brunt of Russian military rhetoric and activity.

Last week Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said Russia would likely have a “military response” to the scenario of Sweden joining NATO, while over the course of last year Russian aircraft violated Finnish airspace at least six times.

Sweden and Finland have continued cooperation with NATO in the meantime and according to recent polls there are more Swedes in favour joining the alliance , than those against. NATO membership remains more controversial in Finland, whose 1,300km border with Russia is larger than than of any other EU state.

However politicians in Finland have openly called for the debate about membership to be reopened and the country has taken steps to shore up defences, in tandem with NATO allies. Last summer the Nordic country performed its first ever practice air to ground bombing since the Second World War.

Looks like our Allies in finland and Sweden are ready to poke that tricycle riding bear.

10+ Year Old Account
    All the kids that are too cool for NATO... really like playing with NATO after all.

Oh no this will sit bad with Summerdrake, Shalcker, Ulmita and Cybran they will soon arrive!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

I really wish we and Russia would stop posturing at each other. I get that Putin is flipping off the West to inspire nationalism in his own people, but I'd rather we both focus on more natural enemies together. I guess the world just refuses to make sense. Oh well, It would be a shame to have to kill Russians, as I hold no ill will towards them. I'd do it if called though. It's just the way things are.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thMountainMan View Post
    I really wish we and Russia would stop posturing at each other. I get that Putin is flipping off the West to inspire nationalism in his own people, but I'd rather we both focus on more natural enemies together. I guess the world just refuses to make sense. Oh well, It would be a shame to have to kill Russians, as I hold no ill will towards them. I'd do it if called though. It's just the way things are.
    Soon we will be invaded by space aliens and humanity with unite!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    Soon we will be invaded by space aliens and humanity with unite!
    Are we talking about War of the Worlds aliens or Independence Day aliens?

Quote Originally Posted by 10thMountainMan View Post
    it's not personal Vladmir, its business

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    it's not personal Vladmir, its business
    It always is. I just think we've more pressing business elsewhere.