Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    That's what I was thinking. I saw this article today and went "Wait a sec...I think I've seen this before."

Didn't they basically ignore any cuts he had planned for other departments like the military and all other standing medical systems since they'd be rolled into this one and just focused on how much increased tax revenue would provide?
    Pretty much. They just took a look at the expenses the plans would have cost in a vacuum and ignored all redundant programs it would cut in the process or how his policies would change revenue and such.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Pretty much. They just took a look at the expenses the plans would have cost in a vacuum and ignored all redundant programs it would cut in the process or how his policies would change revenue and such.
    Seems like an utterly pointless analysis.

I'm happy to hear they are now being paid to report on if water is still wet. /sarcasm
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Seems like an utterly pointless analysis.

I'm happy to hear they are now being paid to report on if water is still wet. /sarcasm
    Pretty much, it was such a piss poor report that they got laughed at and even had to apologize it was so bad to save face if I remember correctly.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

This isn't the first time supertony51 has post this(and subsequently got debunked as well); certainly, there's also a trend of people on a certain side of the political spectrum, on this forums, linking all sorts of conspiracy theories, bad math/science, ludicrous unsupported accusations of crime etc.

You know that the OP just has a personal vendetta and axe to grind when he consistently ignores the other half of the balance sheet; the part conveniently left out about how the plan actually pays for itself and then some, while bringing massive social benefits and quality-of-life to the middle and lower classes.

The facts speak for themselves, but there are people who love to twist, or outright ignore them, if it means furthering their debunked narrative. You know, the act of shouting louder and sticking fingers into ears when someone else tries to be the voice of reason - post more nonsense threads, opinion articles and bad math to hopefully whitewash all the dissent.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesshou View Post
    Well usually federal spending involves creating new jobs, and the people that get those jobs put a lot of their earnings back into the economy. The government picking up the bill for services people are already doing isn't going to accomplish that.
    That changes the source of the money, not the fact that it's injected back into the economy, so increased spending means more jobs, not less.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    People need to learn that debt isn't necessarily bad.

As long as you are making back at least enough in profit to cover the interest payment, you are golden.

Now whether spending $18T the way Sanders is planning to do so is going to generate said required profit ... that's another discussion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    That changes the source of the money, not the fact that it's injected back into the economy, so increased spending means more jobs, not less.
    You don't need government spending to get money into the economy.

Banks can and will "print" as much money as it's necessary for an efficient economy.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    You don't need government spending to get money into the economy.

Banks can and will "print" as much money as it's necessary for an efficient economy.

It's not necessary that the government does it. My point was that the government's debt does not directly correlate to the success or lack thereof of the market. If anything, government packages that increase spending start circulating more money. When our economy's problem is wealth not being spent, soundslike that might help a bit.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    He also had plans to pay for them that covered the expenses and then some.

And a $15 minimum wage would be a huge boon to the economy in multiple areas.
    Yep, along with all those new unemployed minimum wage workers.

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/mcdon...th-automation/ < this is just the begining of such changes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    Yep, along with all those new unemployed minimum wage workers.

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/mcdon...th-automation/ < this is just the begining of such changes.
    Good ole IP -- Owned by the Koch Brothers. If you think automation is only coming for low wage workers because of the impending wage increase I have a bridge to sell you.

Democracy can only last until people figure out they can vote themselves free stuff. Then its just a race to the bottom. Bernie isn't doing anything but saying "vote for me and I'll give you free!" He's just buying support. He appeals to our most base instincts when we should aim higher.

10+ Year Old Account
    In other news Bernie Sanders is bad, and should feel bad. This report was done with smarty smart smart people who know what they're talking about. In other news Trump said something appalling, and Hillary is probably going to be president of the world at this rate. In other news, Bernie should stop and let master Hillary win presidency already.

*KNOCK* *KNOCK*

Just ignore that. It's probably the peasants that want some free food and stuff. Nothing special.

*KNOCK* *KNOCK*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Good ole IP -- Owned by the Koch Brothers. If you think automation is only coming for low wage workers because of the impending wage increase I have a bridge to sell you.
    In the words of John Snow: Win...I mean Automation is coming.

Automation is coming for everyone. It'll come for the indoor manual labor first, which it already has in many places. Then it'll come for the outdoor manual labor as soon as they make the devices durable enough to endure extended use in the sun and weather. It'll start with the big, heavy, stupid jobs. Digging holes, bending things, breaking things, moving big heavy stuff. As fine mechanical motor control increases, it'll move its way up the ladder. It's already widely used in hospitals, just controlled by people. But that's just the next target. Once you have a machine that you can program to perform a task without any outside assistance you're golden.

If machines can control themselves to perform the same tasks humans can, then that also means they're thinking at least on the level required for that task. It may not be abstract thought, but if you program a machine with the information to address enough possible variables it won't really matter. It'll be able to cross-reference and connect the dots to create a faster, more exacting solution.

Automation comes for us all. It's no excuse to pay people less. It's an excuse to find a better system. Because those sabot certain didn't stop it.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    Democracy can only last until people figure out they can vote themselves free stuff. Then its just a race to the bottom. Bernie isn't doing anything but saying "vote for me and I'll give you free!" He's just buying support. He appeals to our most base instincts when we should aim higher.
    This applies both directions. The wealthy have been voting for their own money for years and the Republicans support it, meanwhile whining about anyone who's not rich voting money for themselves. News flash: The wealthy that you worship for working so hard really just instituted laws that eliminated competition and ensured their place in the market would never be threatened no matter how shitty they became as a company. They voted for money for themselves, and you defend it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Yeah, people don't seem to realize that if raising wages is what causes automation, then the jobs that automation is coming for first are the higher paid people.

How you know that it's JUST propaganda when they bring up automation every time minimum wage hike is mentioned: They don't seem to realize that employers are looking for ways to automate $30+/hr jobs. Why go for the cheap labor, even if the price does raise a little? The cost of a machine is much higher than the piddle you pay a minimum wage worker even at $15/hr.

No, it's the idiots who think their $35/hr job is safe from automation that should be worried.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2016-05-10 at 05:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the words of John Snow: Win...I mean Automation is coming.

Automation is coming for everyone. It'll come for the indoor manual labor first, which it already has in many places. Then it'll come for the outdoor manual labor as soon as they make the devices durable enough to endure extended use in the sun and weather. It'll start with the big, heavy, stupid jobs. Digging holes, bending things, breaking things, moving big heavy stuff. As fine mechanical motor control increases, it'll move its way up the ladder. It's already widely used in hospitals, just controlled by people. But that's just the next target. Once you have a machine that you can program to perform a task without any outside assistance you're golden.

If machines can control themselves to perform the same tasks humans can, then that also means they're thinking at least on the level required for that task. It may not be abstract thought, but if you program a machine with the information to address enough possible variables it won't really matter. It'll be able to cross-reference and connect the dots to create a faster, more exacting solution.

Automation comes for us all. It's no excuse to pay people less. It's an excuse to find a better system. Because those sabot certain didn't stop it.
    This is spot on. As automation pushes through a majority of occupations (If I remember Connal's post from a few months back 85% of all jobs) we're going to have to find other ways to take care of our population. Basic Income would be the most optimal but you first have to convince those currently barely ahead of their bills that everyone is worth a basic lifestyle. These seem to be the folks who are all too eager to complain about helping the lowest of workers yet have no idea that once those below them drown the water is already at their own necks.

Yeah, people don't seem to realize that if raising wages is what causes automation, then the jobs that automation is coming for first are the higher paid people.
    Exactly. You're doing a whole lot more for your profits if you can automate the middle management workers instead of the low wage workers who are often performing more than one task at any given time.
    Last edited by Captain N; 2016-05-10 at 05:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    not true. sanders plan will raise 15 trillion over 10 years in increased revenue

But the overall cost of his plan is $33 trillion over that time.

33 - 15 = 18
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

Deleted
    That sobering assessment comes from a joint analysis released Monday by the nonpartisan Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center and the Urban Institute Health Policy Center, well-known Washington think tanks.
    Establishment "think tanks" were recruited to shoot down the one candidate the entire establishment hates? Oh, how surprising. This "study" isn't full of lies and propaganda, at all.

The UK spends 10% of its GDP on health, and covers everyone. The US spends 20% of its GDP on healthcare, and doesn't.

Over a 10 year period, you could in theory save trillions of dollars, possibly even 10s of trillions, and give your country a better overall standard of healthcare. But that would be dependent on breaking the hold that big pharma has on the country, and removing it from the teet currently squeezing out their massive profits. You bet your left nut they are going to react to that possibility.

Honestly, I think at this point that the big companies have such a level of control that violent revolution is the only way this kind of change is ever going to happen. Because there is no way in hell anyone proposing this kind of change will get through the current "democratic" process. And even if they did, the whole setup of the political structure is designed to provide plenty of ways for paid for political blocking.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

10+ Year Old Account

How you know that it's JUST propaganda when they bring up automation every time minimum wage hike is mentioned: They don't seem to realize that employers are looking for ways to automate $30+/hr jobs. Why go for the cheap labor, even if the price does raise a little? The cost of a machine is much higher than the piddle you pay a minimum wage worker even at $15/hr.

No, it's the idiots who think their $35/hr job is safe from automation that should be worried.
    As someone who knows about tech, the first set of jobs to be lost are desk jobs. They have AI that writes articles for newspapers, and even creates songs. Wall Street is also entirely run by computers. It costs a lot more for machine to do physical labor, than it does for AI to deal with software.

You people think they're going to replace workers at Burger King for Atlas Robots? These machines cost more and do less than a teenager. But a software AI is dirt cheap compared to your salary.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    As someone who knows about tech, the first set of jobs to be lost are desk jobs. They have AI that writes articles for newspapers, and even creates songs. Wall Street is also entirely run by computers. It costs a lot more for machine to do physical labor, than it does for AI to deal with software.

You people think they're going to replace workers at Burger King for Atlas Robots? These machines cost more and do less than a teenager. But a software AI is dirt cheap compared to your salary.
    I haven't really seen many articles about this, but someone needs to write one, and it will go viral.

"You know how Republicans bring up automation every time minimum wage hike is talked about? Yeah, they're not coming for the jobs at Burger King, they're coming for your middle class desk job."

Sanders is an old fool who only appeals to college students. His ideas are the very definition of pandering, outside of free shit and make the rich pay, sanders is a one trick phony. Sorry Bernie berkenstocks, not enough strung out hippies left in the usa to put you over the top, as groovy as you are.