Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    I definitely don't think the solution to radical left teachers is to introduce equally radical right teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    The discrimination becomes worse if the applicant is an evangelical Christian. According to Yancey’s study, 59 percent of anthropologists and 53 percent of English professors would be less likely to hire someone they found out was an evangelical.
    It'd depend on whether they had a history of trying to preach their evangelical views in class. The last thing we need is more creationists trying to be science teachers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    So you think that it's not utter insanity to, because education funding is wasted in your opinion, cut funding entirely instead of reforming how said money is spent?

Education is one of the biggest reasons why first world nations are first world nations, and properly executed centralized administration is the reason why the top nations in the world are at the top when it comes to education.

Stop taking the regressive right wing way out which is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
    You clearly have no clue how the funding works if you think gutting the DoE would result in no education. Is this how MSNBC frames it? I can only imagine so many people believe this garbage due to buzzwords and exaggerations.

there are studies showing that the conservative people lack critical thinking skills. that's probably why they have such an aversion to academia.

Education in the US sucks because schools have to spend X amount of money this year to get X + Y money next year and departments inside of schools (let alone in the same district) can't share surpluses. The other reason it sucks is that conservative Texans are rewriting the textbooks. Not too mention, that the incredibly stupid conservative concept of a voucher system is forcing schools to teach tests instead of you know....critical thinking, application of knowledge and problem solving.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    You're completely misinterpreting the primary arguments against the Department of Education.
    One thing that's been mentioned in regards to spending and test scores, that's often left out of arguments is that curricula have gotten more rigorous. Primary schoolers are being expected to know more and more every year, and the increase in spending has a lot to do with equipping schools with modern tech. For all this spending and upgrading school equipment, the DoE seems averse to increasing teacher salary to attract actual talent, and all the private schools grab up all the good teachers with higher wages.

Sure, just spending isn't going to improve it. We need to spend in the right areas. But there's this stigma against teachers for some unknown reason among the right wing. Maybe it's because better education makes people more liberal?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    The more I read things like this, the more I begin to think that non-Christian conservatives like me have no place in this world...

Can't we just have a 'Logical Party' that promotes Laissez-faire economy, second-amendment rights, sticks it hard to illegal immigration, cuts taxes and federal spending, and has a big ass military, while at the same time promotes gay marriage and allows abortion? Can't we keep traditional American values without forcing Christian superstition on everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    The more I read things like this, the more I begin to think that non-Christian conservatives like me have no place in this world...

Can't we just have a 'Logical Party' that promotes Laissez-faire economy, second-amendment rights, sticks it hard to illegal immigration, cuts taxes and federal spending, and has a big ass military, while at the same time promotes gay marriage and allows abortion? Can't we keep traditional American values without forcing Christian superstition on everyone?
    Because the left shed the Christian kooks around the 1930s and the right still finds their utility greater than their toxicity. That seems to be changing, what with Cruz getting told to take a hike.