Thread: 5x5 stronglifts

10+ Year Old Account

5x5 stronglifts

in this program there are 2 days. day A and day B. both of them include squats. im supposed to increase weight on each workout. but if squat is in each of them, does that mean im supposed to increase weight in both day A and B resulting in twice as fast weight increase ?

Yeah, that is the point pretty much, if you're a beginner you should be able to keep it up for quite a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    but why would only squats increase twice as fast (obviously because they are in both days) ? it means eventually ill stop increasing weight at some point faster than other excercises

Squats increase twice as fast because you do them twice as much. You will also improve your squat faster than your other exercises due to the volume. As for reaching a plateau in weight, almost everyone without some sort of lower body injury plateaus faster on overhead/bench press than on squats.

Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    but why would only squats increase twice as fast (obviously because they are in both days) ? it means eventually ill stop increasing weight at some point faster than other excercises
    You squat 3 times per week and increase it every workout. It is very easy to overload your squat and deadlift. Your bench will be harder because you don't have enough volume on it so it is better to use microplates for it. Overall, you will platau at around 100kg for the squat, 120kg for the DL and 60kg for the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    Quads are the biggest muscle in your body, since you mostly use quads/glutes in squats they need less recovery, can handle bigger loads (giggidy) and progress faster than say, chest.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Adams View Post
    Quads are the biggest muscle in your body, since you mostly use quads/glutes in squats they need less recovery, can handle bigger loads (giggidy) and progress faster than say, chest.
    The stupidest thing about all these gimmicky 5x5/3x5 training methods is the fact that they put their volume n the exercises that are VERY easy to progress on while ignoring the fact that the upper body can handle more volume and recover faster due to the lighter loads that are used. To bench you have to bench but then again this is the Internet and curls are bad and we are such cool contrarians cuz we squat .

10+ Year Old Account
    i do traps excercise on machine on day B after 3 main ones. i do it with 3 20kg plates on each side.
    currently doing it 5x5 too. should i do it different ?

also doing lower back on roman bench/chair (or whatever its called in english) on day A. i do it 4x15 holding 20kg plate.
    is that fine or ?

these are the only 2 'bonus' excercises i do in 5x5 program mixing up with upper abdomen after 3 main ones.

so for example its like day A:
    squat
    bench press
    bent over barbell row
    roman bench
    upper abdomen

day B:
    squat
    overhead press
    deadlift
    traps
    upper abdomen

inb4 wheres lower abdomen. i do it on every 3rd day at work
    Last edited by Proskill; 2016-05-12 at 11:03 AM.

Deleted
    Maybe I don't really get your schedule but is working out on only 2 days generally not a very good idea if you want to get some mass? I always heard that 3 is min and 4 is preferable.

Besides the fact that as a beginner I would say its better to work on technique first, you can hurt your knees quite easily if you have the wrong technique and go hard too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Triks View Post
    The stupidest thing about all these gimmicky 5x5/3x5 training methods is the fact that they put their volume n the exercises that are VERY easy to progress on while ignoring the fact that the upper body can handle more volume and recover faster due to the lighter loads that are used. To bench you have to bench but then again this is the Internet and curls are bad and we are such cool contrarians cuz we squat .
    ICF 5x5 has curls, rows, and tricep work every workout, duno what you're on about. That's plenty of upper body for a novice.
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah 5x5 is great.

ICF 5x5 has curls, rows, and tricep work every workout, duno what you're on about. That's plenty of upper body for a novice.
    I am on that novices should be benching more frequently, meaning more flat bench, CG and incline to develop the technique and strength. All these 5x5 routines really underestimate how much volume a novice handle and they disregard the fact that some novices can't even execute the movements correctly, yet force them to overload every workout.

There are a lot better ways to train than a 5x5.

I disagree that you need to be doing both flat and incline, and as I pointed out, some 5x5s have you do both flat and CG which is plenty. CG is more for tri's anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Triks View Post

There are a lot better ways to train than a 5x5.
    But you aren't listing any.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did 5x5, it's ok for 1 maybe 2 years tops (and that's pushing it) Than you need to find different programme, something with 3's and 2's. Stronglifts is really just a introduction to powerlifting.

I disagree that you need to be doing both flat and incline, and as I pointed out, some 5x5s have you do both flat and CG which is plenty. CG is more for tri's anyway.

But you aren't listing any.
    Nah you need to do incline for bench overload and for overall strength just like you need to front squat to overload your squat and to develop more tightness during the movement. There is no "more for tri's" - a flat CG with a pause will teach you how to maintain tightness and how to use your entire body to press better than anything except doing 2-3 count pause flat benches.

Here's how we train the novices and how the others train in the off-season.

Day I

Flat bench 5x15-20
    Front squat 3x10
    Defficit Deadlift 3x10
    Dips 5x20

Flat bench DB press 5x12-15
    Chest fly 5x10
    Cables 5x20

Skullcrushers 6x30
    Ropes 6x30

Day II

Deadlift 5x15-20
    Incline bench 5x10-15
    Box squats 3x10
    Chinups 5x20

Dumbell Row 5x15
    Chest-supported row 5x15
    Machine work 5x15

Hypers 6x30
    Abs 6x30

Day III

Squat 5x15-20
    CG bench 5x15-20
    SLDL 3x10
    Pendlay Row 3x10

Helicopter 5x15
    Arnold Press 5x15
    Shoulder Press 5x15
    Side-lateral 3x10

Bicep curl 6x30
    Preacher curl 6x30

Day IV

Skullcrushers 3x10
    Triceps exercise 3x10
    Triceps exercise 3x10

Technique work on your lifts

I want to stress the fact that the rep ranges do not stay static, in the sense that the heavier the weight, the lower the reps.Ideally you would be able to stay in the high rep ranges for as long as possible. Progress is done with 5kg jumps on the squat and deadlift and 2.5kg on the bench, then becoming 1.5kg. You take a lighter week where you cut back on the volume every 4-5 weeks.

If you don't fancy high reps look into RPE.

EDIT:

This is something that is not apparent about SS, ICF, SL and Madcows but the basis for these programs was to give high-school and college-level coaches a very easy template to replicate and apply to their players. In other words, these are just general templates that are not geared towards powerlifting and bodybuilding but instead opt to give you "general strength". They are bargain-bin protocols and you will get mediocre results unless you decide to eat your way into "big numbers". It's always funny to see the 100 kg fat guy who thinks he is tough shit while barely being able to pull off a 3 plate triple. At that weight he should be repping 170 kg but w/e.
    Last edited by Triks; 2016-05-12 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Adding stuff