Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    It's less that there are so many bad studies, and more that the news/media has learned that science can be twisted into sensationalism. The average person doesn't have the background or doesn't have the time to sit and think about what the study actually means. Science in the news has a lot of bullshit, but science in science is usually quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    I've seen that claim quite a few times, but I never found any reliable source on it. Would be great if you could not be lazy and dig it up.
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056...articleResults

There you go.

edit: I opened it and looked at it to make sure this is what he was talking about. I haven't really gone through it and made sure it wasn't bullshit or looked at later developments. As stated in the study, it was exploratory in nature, does not identify a cause, there were too few controls on the brains as they were not preselected, and the age range was really too broad.
    Last edited by hrugner; 2016-05-13 at 05:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056...articleResults

There you go.

edit: I opened it and looked at it to make sure this is what he was talking about. I haven't really gone through it and made sure it wasn't bullshit or looked at later developments. As stated in the study, it was exploratory in nature, does not identify a cause, there were too few controls on the brains as they were not preselected, and the age range was really too broad.
    It wasn't, but I'll look. That study is largely looking for the expression of genes and the study I'm talking about was solely about gross anatomy.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/significant.png

Pretty much sounds like grasping bullshit. That they don't link the actual study strongly suggests this.

Deleted
    How much shit has Autism been linked to now?

Not going to read through every page to see if someone else said this already, but seeing as it's not on the front page, a defect of folate / B12 leads to neural tube defects. Google image search that if you don't know what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Broseph Stalin View Post
    With the broad brush they use to diagnose autism anymore it's not really a surprise. I was diagnosed when I was 28, but didn't meet the diagnosis requirements when I was young. They've greatly expanded the criteria in the past 30 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Broseph Stalin View Post
    With the broad brush they use to diagnose autism anymore it's not really a surprise. I was diagnosed when I was 28, but didn't meet the diagnosis requirements when I was young. They've greatly expanded the criteria in the past 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    "Science is true, whether you believe in it or not."

I'm not sure what John is on about here. There has literally never been a bad study.
    Literally never been a bad study?

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Yeah, that. It's quite likely that most published scientific results (particularly in medicine) are wrong. It's a systemic problem in science that's getting a lot of attention right now. Fields like physics are much more rigorous about what they require to claim a discovery (> 5 sigma).

http://journals.plos.org/plosmedicin...l.pmed.0020124
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Yeah, that. It's quite likely that most published scientific results (particularly in medicine) are wrong. It's a systemic problem in science that's getting a lot of attention right now. Fields like physics are much more rigorous about what they require to claim a discovery (> 5 sigma).

http://journals.plos.org/plosmedicin...l.pmed.0020124
    It's less that results are wrong in medicine, but more that they're highly context-dependent. Biological systems involve thousands+ of variables that can't be neatly controlled for. In the case of folate and autism, once it passes peer-review, if it's a believable effect there will be many more studies to try and corroborate what was observed. It is likely that what they saw is a real effect, but who knows for what reason and to what significance?

Medical studies in particular are cautious about this, as they know from the outset they aren't trying to establish some fundamental truth of the universe. Truth in that field comes from a pattern of similar studies, not one single hyper-controlled particle collision chamber that generated 10 zillobytes of data.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Science is like fucking. If it's done right by all the participants, lessons are learned and good "conclusions" are reached. if one or more of the participants do it half-assed, the results are suboptimal.

That's not fucking's problem, nor is it science's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    It wasn't, but I'll look. That study is largely looking for the expression of genes and the study I'm talking about was solely about gross anatomy.
    Gross anatomy? Heh, yeah I don't think I could find a study like that without dipping into ancient physiognomy texts. That's been a dead science for years and for good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    Gross anatomy? Heh, yeah I don't think I could find a study like that without dipping into ancient physiognomy texts. That's been a dead science for years and for good reason.
    I mean like, not genetic assays. But stuff you can see with a scope.

That's pretty gross in comparison to what that linked study was talking about.

Edit: well, not the neuron density, you can see that on a scope, but that wasn't the sum of that study.
    Last edited by Ripster42; 2016-05-13 at 09:30 PM.