Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    I know the OP was the UK, but in the US has there ever been a time where a degree was worth less than it is now ? A piece of paper to wipe your ass with and tons of debt. We really need to start pushing technical colleges, vocation programs, and trade schools.

Also in the US, there are some 2500 4 year schools, and another 1600 2 year schools that gave out some 18 million degrees combined. I think poor white people can still find somewhere that will take them in
    Here in the Netherlands, a degree gives you the bare minimum requirement to apply to a job. It's about what experience you have build while getting that degree that helps you actually get a job.

People put too much emphasis on the degree itself. All it says is that you can read a book and make a test.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    It seems to me like young men these days are just too uninterested in building a life and career, while young women seem very keen on doing so.

Women always seemed to be more interested in actually learning and growing. And on top of that, they seem to be serious about a career and actually more mature, where many men just seem to be a man-child in their 20's and even 30's.

Out of the 30 people I hired last year, 23 are female. The balance in gender applying was in favor of men, but only a handful where actually able to answer basic questions about themselves and their career.

So in short, my observation is:
    Young men = immature
    Young women = very mature
    So, if women are disadvantaged, it´s men's fault. But if men are diadvantaged, it´s also men's fault.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    It seems to me like young men these days are just too uninterested in building a life and career, while young women seem very keen on doing so.

Women always seemed to be more interested in actually learning and growing. And on top of that, they seem to be serious about a career and actually more mature, where many men just seem to be a man-child in their 20's and even 30's.

Out of the 30 people I hired last year, 23 are female. The balance in gender applying was in favor of men, but only a handful where actually able to answer basic questions about themselves and their career.

So in short, my observation is:
    Young men = immature
    Young women = very mature
    Just curious, what is the job?

Because I can speak from experience men are more interested in higher education that is goal-driven and productive instead of safe little nestling jobs of middle management.

I should add that I'm all for a reform (yet another!) in schools. This is taken from a Norwegian perspective, so I'm not sure it applies to your country:

The theoretical education in secondary school/high school (3 years and ready for university) has a very low drop-out rate, especially amongst girls.

Vocational education sees a much more higher drop-out rate, particularly amongst boys. One reason for this is the level of theory you need get through, and many of these boys are already tired of school. Some of the things one needs to learn don't even apply to whatever you're studying. Drop-out levels also vary btween parts of the country, so a girl from a well-off swaggish family around Oslo is much less likely to quit than someone from a working class background in Northern Norway

So Bob is 15. He wants to become a car mechanic. Luckily, that's very much possible - two years of school, two years of practice work, then he does his diploma. Bob is more of a pratically orientated young gentleman. He starts his schooling, but is overwhelmed by the theory he needs to understand - he's never even liked theory. Analysing poems in the English classes seems silly, when he instead could have learned for instance the name of car parts in English. In PE, there could have been a heavier focus on working positions so you can save your knees.

Sadly, the theoretical aspect becomes too much for Bob, and he quits school. Not because he's stupid, but because what he wanted to become (car mechanic) was too full with theory that was completely unappealing to him.

Meanwhile, Swaggerina from Oslo is achiveing top grades, in a steady relationship, working part time, working out, making food from scratch which she then posts on Instagram to all her social media friends (Facebook is out, after all) and will soon crash and burn. I mean, who told you needed perfection in all those areas

Norwegian school appears to see two types of students - the Bobs and the Swaggerinas, yet the focus is on those poor Swaggerinas, whereas imo we need to support the Bobs more.

I've fallen between two chairs. I did my theorical high school education, but I'll never go to university. I am more practically orientated, honestly, but no one has helped me to find my interests/skills in that regard, university was the shit. I'm also not a male, so I feel like an anomaly
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gender threads aren't allowed here. Locking this.