Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    South America is already universally accepted as Latin America.
    No...for the love of some secular god of education please!

Deleted
    Another great example of USA producing "logical" thinkers. Like a few others have already said in this thread, what's wrong with you?

Quote Originally Posted by Teflonsavior View Post
    Another great example of USA producing "logical" thinkers. Like a few others have already said in this thread, what's wrong with you?
    I actually ask questions. Meanwhile you're likely the guy who thinks latino and hispanic are interchangeable and that they're racial categories.

10+ Year Old Account
    Technically, yes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    By this logic that includes all of South America.

WTF is with you kids?
    Guyana speaks English and Suriname speaks Dutch, so no.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Italy, France and Spain are often referred to as the Latin countries because their language is rooted in Latin.

We say "latinos" in the US because we were having problems coming up with a polite word for Mexicans and people similar to Mexicans. Currently we call the "Hispanics". "Hispanola" being what the Romans called Spain.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Technically, yes.

- - - Updated - - -

Guyana speaks English and Suriname speaks Dutch, so no.
    And the Falkland Islands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Also, TIL there is a dutch speaking country in South America.
    I spent some time there. It's a crazy place, where even the poorest indigenous people often spoke 5 languages. Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese, English, and Surinantongo (colloquially known as Taki Taki).

Taki Taki is bizarre because it essentially combines those other 4 languages, with a little Hindi in there too, but gets rid of all the hard to pronounce syllables. So it would be strange because I'd be listening to a toolbox meeting in Taki Taki, not understanding a word, then all of a sudden I'd hear a near full sentence in nearly understandable English. Or sometimes in nearly understandable Spanish. It's the most pidgin language I've ever heard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Italy, France and Spain are often referred to as the Latin countries because their language is rooted in Latin.

We say "latinos" in the US because we were having problems coming up with a polite word for Mexicans and people similar to Mexicans. Currently we call the "Hispanics". "Hispanola" being what the Romans called Spain.
    Most of the Latinos I know call themselves either by their actual country of origin, or Latinos. I've almost never heard them call themselves Hispanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    I actually ask questions. Meanwhile you're likely the guy who thinks latino and hispanic are interchangeable and that they're racial categories.
    Fair enough.
    Most of the Latinos I know call themselves either by their actual country of origin, or Latinos. I've almost never heard them call themselves Hispanics.
    *nods*

As a Hispanic male, I would never call myself a Latino. (That's an insult among those that are Puerto Rican.)

I spent some time there. It's a crazy place, where even the poorest indigenous people often spoke 5 languages. Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese, English, and Surinantongo (colloquially known as Taki Taki).

Taki Taki is bizarre because it essentially combines those other 4 languages, with a little Hindi in there too, but gets rid of all the hard to pronounce syllables. So it would be strange because I'd be listening to a toolbox meeting in Taki Taki, not understanding a word, then all of a sudden I'd hear a near full sentence in nearly understandable English. Or sometimes in nearly understandable Spanish. It's the most pidgin language I've ever heard.

- - - Updated - - -

It seems a lot of poorer nationd have a lot of polygots. In a lot of African countries you have kids that can speak five languages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mexico the Caribbean and Central American is what is considered Latin America if you cant trace your ancestry to here your not Latino.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Fair enough.

*nods*

As a Hispanic male, I would never call myself a Latino. (That's an insult among those that are Puerto Rican.)
    Eh, must be cultural differences. I don't know many Puerto Riquenos. Most of the people I know are Colombian, Bolivian, Argentinian, Peruvian, or sometimes Mexican.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Same but opposite always country of origin or Hispanic. Never Latino except cholos in SoCal.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    Mexico the Caribbean and Central American is what is considered Latin America if you cant trace your ancestry to here your not Latino.
    A lot of the Caribbean (if not most) are Germanic speakers. Most of South America is a part of Latin America and really any sovereign latin speaking nation in the Americas qualities as Latin American nations.

Eh, must be cultural differences. I don't know many Puerto Riquenos. Most of the people I know are Colombian, Bolivian, Argentinian, Peruvian, or sometimes Mexican.
    I'm dating a Puerto Rican, aside from that though, I don't encounter many PRs on a daily basis. I mostly know Mexicans, Dominicans and Haitians.

So, Spain and Portugal are also Latin American, cuz they are basically Eastern America. Korea, China, Japan, Vietnam etc are Western America.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

That's true but Italy and France are Latin countries too. You'll see 'Hispanic' on government forms, not so much 'Latino' these days.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I think we should stop coming up with lazy terms to group a bunch of people we think are Mexican.

Using a collective 'we' here.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems a lot of poorer nationd have a lot of polygots. In a lot of African countries you have kids that can speak five languages.
    Yeah in Mozambique, I met a bunch of people who spoke 3 or even 4 languages. Sometimes Portuguese, but a lot of the time it was the 3 or 4 local languages that were spoken all within a 10 mile radius of each other. Where I was, the most common languages were Swahili (we were on the northern border with Tanzania), Makonde, and Mwani, but there were several others. It's amazing how villages so close to one another spoke such entirely different languages, and how few people actually spoke the country's official language, Portuguese.

Also strange how Mozambique speaks Portuguese, but is part of the British Commonwealth of Nations.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm dating a Puerto Rican, aside from that though, I don't encounter many PRs on a daily basis. I mostly know Mexicans, Dominicans and Haitians.
    The girl I'm going out with tonight on our first date is named Lourdes and is obviously Latina, but I'm not sure where she's from. She said Spanish was her first language, but that she started learning English in Preschool, so I suppose it's possible she was born here, but who knows. She actually looks a lot like my Colombian step sister, so maybe she's Colombian.