Scientists hold secret meetings, discuss creating a synthetic human genome

I think the human race probably has more to fear from sex bots, but I don't know. Would this make bio weapons easier to create?

What does it mean if you have no parents? There's no one to defend your interests? You have no allegiances?

more at

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/14/sc...an-genome.html

The prospect is spurring both intrigue and concern in the life sciences community, because it might be possible — if someone were able to create a totally artificial genome — to implant that genome into embryos and create human beings without parents.

While the project is still in the idea phase, and also involves efforts to improve DNA synthesis in general, it was discussed at a closed-door meeting at Harvard Medical School in Boston on Tuesday. The roughly 150 attendees were told not to contact the media or to tweet about the meeting.

Organizers said the project in some ways would be a follow-up to the original Human Genome Project, which was aimed at reading the sequence of the three billion chemical letters in the DNA blueprint of human life. The new project, by contrast, would involve not reading, but rather writing the human genome — synthesizing all three billion units from chemicals.

But such an attempt would raise numerous ethical issues. Could scientists create humans with certain kinds of traits, perhaps people born and bred to be soldiers? Or might it be possible to make copies of specific people?

“Would it be O.K. to sequence and then synthesize Einstein’s genome?” Drew Endy, a bioengineer at Stanford and Laurie Zoloth, a bioethicist at Northwestern University, wrote in an essay criticizing the proposed project. “If so, how many Einstein genomes would it be O.K. to make and install in cells, and who would get to make and control these cells?”

Scientists and ethicists are already raising concerns about using new gene-editing techniques that could change individual traits in embryos. But it would be possible to make much more extensive changes by synthesizing an entire genome.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Not a well kept secret if it is showing up here.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    The conspiracy theory is that this is a conspiracy theory. "Secret meetings!"

Deleted
    Big difference between having the technology to create artificial DNA in a computer, which has already been done for bacteria, and actually knowing what genes do so you can customize it in notable way.

This some orphan black shit right here
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Those big bad scientists holding their secret meetings!

I guess this is what it has come to when people start thinking "The National Enquirer" qualifies as real news.

Quote Originally Posted by Telomerase View Post
    Those big bad scientists holding their secret meetings!

I guess this is what it has come to when people start thinking "The National Enquirer" qualifies as real news.
    I cut and pasted the NY Times title.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

We have plenty of human beings without parents already, do we really need to hack the human genome to make more?

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    “Would it be O.K. to sequence and then synthesize Einstein’s genome?” Drew Endy, a bioengineer at Stanford and Laurie Zoloth, a bioethicist at Northwestern University, wrote in an essay criticizing the proposed project. “If so, how many Einstein genomes would it be O.K. to make and install in cells, and who would get to make and control these cells?”
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2016-05-13 at 11:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

If they make a human from this synthetic human genome and then make another, aren't those two related?

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    If they make a human from this synthetic human genome and then make another, aren't those two related?
    Only as much as you and I are related being fellow humans. Need a lot more than 1 shared gene to be blood related as to what you are alluding to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    /thread

*hands Tyrven an internet*

*claps*

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Only as much as you and I are related being fellow humans. Need a lot more than 1 shared gene to be blood related as to what you are alluding to.
    It's the whole genome from what I understand.

-- Capt. Copeland

I think it should be done. If not for any other reason than FOR SCIENCE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe she's born with it? Maybe it's synthetically in her genome?! New from CoverGirl, it's CRISPR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heh, those pesky scientists! Always being lumped together for clickbait topics.

10+ Year Old Account
    am i the only one who read this as scientists discuss creating a synthetic human gnome?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    secret meeting we talking about on the game forum
    nice