Page 1 of 21
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account

Cost of video games becoming absurd

So just bought Doom tonight for the PS4. The original price tag 59.99 but the DLC content is like another 100$ on top of that. So to access the full game, you gotta drop 150$. Being that it is a Bethesda game, I'm already angry at myself for purchasing but it's Doom, how bad could they fuck it up? Starwars battlefront was another good example (Didn't buy the DLC for this). It is getting to the point now where games are being released but actual access to the content is like 3x the initial cost without 3x the content. Anyone else bothered by this shit?

10+ Year Old Account
    Cost of games correlate with cost of production.

Yes, it's absurd both way.

It's even more absurd when you know half the budget goes to marketing alone.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Do like me, avoid paying for a stupid console and buy a computer, enjoy the best graphic possible and download all your stuff for free.

Question whatever you take for granted.

Wait for it to come out on sale.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    I saw the new standard version of CoD is gonna be going for 80 bucks

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeXan View Post
    Do like me, avoid paying for a stupid console and buy a computer, enjoy the best graphic possible and download all your stuff for free.
    Only way you do that is pirating it. Yeah no nobody should advocate that.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Tell your friends to stop torrenting games, which only contributes to the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Case in point.

Even bigger reason to pirate games, eventually Denuvo will be annihilated.

"Life finds a way" and all that.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake

DLC isn't required.

Also, after considering inflation, the cost of games isn't high. I'm pretty sure I paid like $50 for NBA Live 97 damned near 20 years ago and that game is garbage from an engineering standpoint compared to modern games.

10+ Year Old Account
    I buy all my games of G2A or GMG -- I don't do the console bit except for the NHL series.

Invest in a gaming computer. It's a little more out the gate but the cost of games usually off sets the initial price difference.

Example: Doom is $35 on G2A

10+ Year Old Account
    Super NES games were like $90 in 1992. You kiddies know nothing of cost.

I really look into my purchases and wait for sales. Can't just go get everything new, even if you want it

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacyrect View Post
    So just bought Doom tonight for the PS4. The original price tag 59.99 but the DLC content is like another 100$ on top of that. So to access the full game, you gotta drop 150$. Being that it is a Bethesda game, I'm already angry at myself for purchasing but it's Doom, how bad could they fuck it up? Starwars battlefront was another good example (Didn't buy the DLC for this). It is getting to the point now where games are being released but actual access to the content is like 3x the initial cost without 3x the content. Anyone else bothered by this shit?

The cost of gaming hasn't really increased at all over the past 20 years. When adjusted for inflation it's pretty much the same as it has been.

G2A.com is the best place to get games. The prices are absurd but have rising with each new console i remember 30-40$ for n64 era games.. Then the xbox came out and everything was 50.. then 360 and it was 60 and now x1 and ive seen some 70$ but ya its stupid as hell.. Leave them at 50$ since most arent even worth that
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    DLC isn't required.

Also, after considering inflation, the cost of games isn't high. I'm pretty sure I paid like $50 for NBA Live 97 damned near 20 years ago and that game is garbage from an engineering standpoint compared to modern games.
    Indeed $100 in 1990 → $181.13 in 2014

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Tell your friends to stop torrenting games, which only contributes to the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Case in point.

I think honestly if the wages kept up with Inflation, things wouldn't be so bad. But I digress *Winks at Celista*
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Heh, when you have the money, it's much more satisfying to actually buy the product. I used to download a lot of games when I was a teenager, but ever since I have a job (IE for at least the past 7 years) I always buy my games.

Beside, there's a reason why PC-centric games are getting so rare. Even indies are going console because PC isn't a safe market.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, how do you play an online game like Overwatch for free?
    Then also this new denovu seems to take years to get cracked. Have been waiting for new tomb raider for months but soon I'll say fuck it i buy it on g2a when it is there for 4 bucks.
    Also this DLC is just fucking everything. Never liked the idea of DLC, only buy them on sales.
    Last edited by Crillam; 2016-05-14 at 01:25 AM.

Hey, at least it's not Skylanders, where you have to drop well over $1000 now just to get all the characters for all the games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Case in point.
    Would still be the same price.