Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    Crazy how people are still using the term "WoW killer" to describe video games that never branded themselves as such.
    Only 3 come to mind.

SW:TOR (practically copied Vanilla WOW)
    Wild Star
    and Rift

Rest in the OPs list are F2P originally except for FFXIV and GW2 which is still going strong

WOW is just fell on it's own sword with WOD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nomorepriest View Post
    I was just thinking how many MMOs I have access to and how many I'm currently not playing..
    I currently own:
    GW2
    Wildstar
    Star Wars
    FFXIV
    Wow
    Black desert
    Blade and soul
    Tera
    Rift
    I don't know what else probably more.. All bought before they went F2P ( if they went that route) besides maybe Tera and Rift..
    Crazy to think so many wow killers that have fallen short
    Ones I have are in bold. The only one of them that I spent even close to as much time playing as WoW is Tera. The game was fun, beautiful, incredibly grindy, and greatly rewarding. Really really wanted it to stay pay-to-play.

God damn it. I might download the shit again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by luckydan79 View Post
    Only 3 come to mind.

SW:TOR (practically copied Vanilla WOW)
    Wild Star
    and Rift

Rest in the OPs list are F2P originally except for FFXIV and GW2 which is still going strong

WOW is just fell on it's own sword with WOD.
    Tera was pay-to-play at launch.
    Thanks for the ad-hominem; it supports your inability to support your argument.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    I can play a bunch of them and tried most of them, if for merely a few hours. Nothing ever really held a candle to my experiences with WoW, though, so with WoW, I remain.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

I was thinking of trying Tera or Rift.. But legion is coming out... Lately just play single player now

Is it that they fell short...or like any other game, you had your fun and then moved on to the next game?

It's probabaly that, no game lasts for ever, no matter how hard some folks may try to
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Tbh atm I'm happy on FF14 and GW2. Will come back and try Legion but doubt I will stay. Still at least 2-3 more patches for FF14 this year unless 3.5 hits in January then 2. And Guild Wars 2 spring update seems to have put the game back in a better place

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepriest View Post
    I was thinking of trying Tera or Rift.. But legion is coming out... Lately just play single player now
    I'd say go with Tera. Rift has started to become a cash grab and it only seems to be getting worse.

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    None of the supposed "WoW-killers" were a success because on each one they assumed copying too much from WoW would be a negative thing. They had to separate themselves from WoW to get ahead! Or so they thought. If you copy the winning formula, change a bunch of stuff because "you know better than those fools at Blizzard," and then act so perplexed as to why it wasn't just as successful, then maybe you should have just left well enough alone.

None of the "WoW clones" or "killers" ever made a great attempt at truly cloning WoW. If they had, the results would have been much different. Most often, it was only a visual similarity with silly or awful game systems as a foundation. LotRO came closest, but was still hampered by tedious mechanics.

WoW copied all the best parts of all the games that came out before it did, while leaving the bad parts behind (from games like EQ, FF11, and DAoC). Over the years, they have continually had this attitude and every time a new game comes out with a feature people like, Blizzard has had no shame in adding something similar. While I'm sure you could criticize them for this, it is what has lead to the long success of the game.

How much of WoD was inspired by Wildstar? I'd argue a lot. Also, garrison missions are very similar to SWTOR's crafting missions. Legion's artifacts are just the legendary weapons from LotRO (which also inspired the now-removed reforging). These are just a couple recent examples, you can do this going back to the beginning (you can thank FF11 for auction houses, unless you loved shouting in the EC trade tunnel to sell all of your wares!).