Poll: Best Sounding Language Group

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'd say I love the english accent in Ireland, the gealic language, and Polish (god i love that language!) Never heard Baltic and Hungarian, but I will add those for good measurement

15+ Year Old Account
    Finno-ugric > Romance > Judeo-Arabic > Hellenic > Germanic > Slavic
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will vote for Maltese - even though it makes the speaker sound retarded and your ears will bleed from listening to it - because I like to be different.

Latin group wins, though it is let down by Spanish, which I think is just Italian for people with a speech impediment.

From what i've heard the isolate Basque language(Euskara) is supposed to be very logical and close to computer language. But it depends what you mean by best language. Most people here probably just think their own language is the best.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I think Germanic languages are measurably the best as they have produced the most of what would be considered the best literature and poetry out of the Indo-European language family. Notable linguists like Chomsky and Pinker have argued this point.
    Neruda, Baudelaire, Apollinaire...

As a person, who speaks one of Slavic languages, I didn't vote for Slavic group, cuz IMHO it's a bit unfair, so I voted for Romance. I really like West Romance language group, Spanish in particular. I think it sounds charming. But I have a certain bias, I strongly prefer languages/dialects w/ trilling r, they sound more thrilling, emotional

Germanic group is too big. Some dialects of some languages sound really nice, but many not so much.
    Last edited by ls-; 2016-05-14 at 11:40 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I will vote for Maltese - even though it makes the speaker sound retarded and your ears will bleed from listening to it - because I like to be different.

Latin group wins, though it is let down by Spanish, which I think is just Italian for people with a speech impediment.
    Maltese is so weird, i've been one week in Malta and I remember of a village that was called "Marsaxlokk" or something along these lines
    But at least, it makes it a truly unique and badass language
    Last edited by mmocafdd20634a; 2016-05-14 at 11:26 AM.

Finno-Ugric because I'm biased.
    Best Indo-European group is Germanic in my opinion

Deleted
    Why is it called Romance? That seems biased as people associate it with love. Shouldn't it be Romanic? meaning of Roman descent. Logically that is where it comes from so it makes more sense.

Anyway, I vote Germanic since it's basically a no-nonsense language group. It's efficient. And I think at the core that's the most important thing for a language, to be easy to understand and cause no confusion. We as humans need to communicate a lot, things f*ck up quickly if we don't understand eachother. Germanic languages cause the least amount of confusion since they say exactly what they mean. Moreso than the other language groups.
    Last edited by mmoceb1605b3cd; 2016-05-14 at 11:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevene View Post
    Maltese is so weird, i've been one week in Malta and I remember of a village that was called "Marsaxlokk" or something along these lines
    But at least, it makes it a truly unique and badass language
    Maltese is based on Arabic, but to Arabic speakers it sounds like baby talk. Similar to how Afrikaans sounds to the Dutch.

There is a place there named Qroqq, which I think is pronounced Errroooeerrk, kind of like a sound people make when vomiting.
    Last edited by Kalis; 2016-05-14 at 11:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Slavic are best, no contest.

I'd say Germanic, not that I like all Germanic languages.

English is a paintbrush, for example; whereas German is a knife. Even though you may have a preference, both have their uses/perks. There's a reason Germany's contribution to the world has been far more musical than literary, for example. The former transcends all language; whereas the latter, in the case of German, has been hampered by the fact that German prizes precision whereas English has been much more organic.

Romance followed by germanic, slavic languages are disgusting

Quote Originally Posted by Mirkzat View Post
    Yugoslav
    There is no such thing as Yugoslavia and there is not such thing as a Yugoslav language. At best you mean Serbo-Croatian.

To me the Croatians sound like Hungarians (tho Hungarian is not Slavic, the phonology sounds similar), and in general I think both languages sound godawful.

I actually think that Russian flows better than any of the Slavic languages spoken in Europe that I've heard. (Tho I'm a certifiable Russophobe).

When it comes to how a language flows, any of the Romance languages are great. Except Romanian which sounds heavily influenced by Slavic.

That is followed by English that strikes a comfortable middle ground between the Latin and Germanic influence.

German has a mystique and power that makes it great in its own way.

The other North Germanic languages ranging from Dutch to Swedish and everything in between sound fucking terrible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    English is a Germanic Language, thus English it is.
    It may have been invented in Europe, but you have to admit we perfected it. Well, excluding the Southern accent to be fair.
    Nowadays English is made by 40% latin and 40 % from french ( see Anglo French ).

Your anglo saxon thing is OLD and obsolete... English is mostly Latinish, so in the Romance part.

Now another thing, Germanic langage comes from the Celtic langage, like Breton or Irish and that's why you can find some celtic roots in english and even in french.

In 1789, 75 % of the french population didn't even speak french. The whole tyranny of this langage, "langue d'oc"-cult, is recent but "French" is also very alchemic, subtil, so i suspect it to be a lot more Druidic via Le Langage of the birds.

EDIT: Germanic langage is a fucking lie, that's CELT. It's like saying that's France is composed by some fucking germanic Frank, same odd and old deception shit.

We are Still Celt.
    Last edited by mmoca1e94eb7cd; 2016-05-14 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paraclef View Post
    Nowadays English is made by 40% latin and 40 % from french ( see Anglo French ).

Your anglo saxon thing is OLD and obsolete... English is mostly Latinish, so in the Romance part.

Now another thing, Germanic langage comes from the Celtic langage, like Breton or Irish and that's why you can find some celtic roots in english and even in french.

In 1789, 75 % of the french population didn't even speak french. The whole tyranny of this langage, "langue d'oc"-cult, is recent but "French" is also very alchemic, subtil, so i suspect it to be a lot more Druidic via Le Langage of the birds.
    Wow, I think... almost every sentence there contains factual errors. Thanks for that glorious post. :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    glorious (adj.) late 13c., from Anglo-French glorious, Old French glorieus "glorious, blessed" (12c., Modern French glorieux)

sentence (n.) c. 1200, "doctrine, authoritative teaching; an authoritative pronouncement," from Old French sentence "

contain (v.) late 13c., from Old French contein-, stem of contenir

Factually = Factuel in French

error (n.) errour; c. 1300, "a deviation from truth made through ignorance or inadvertence, a mistake," also "offense against morality or justice; transgression, wrong-doing, sin;" from Old French error; Actual French Erreur.

Wow so germanic, such a non Romance.

Orthography (n.) "correct or proper spelling," mid-15c., ortographie, from Middle French orthographie (Old French ortografie, 13c.)

Grammar (n.) late 14c., "Latin grammar, rules of Latin," from Old French gramaire

Conjugation (n.) mid-15c., from Latin conjugationem (nominative conjugatio) "a combining, connecting, Old French c. 1236 conjugacion.

Syntax (n.) c. 1600, from French syntaxe (16c.)

WANT more ?
    Last edited by mmoca1e94eb7cd; 2016-05-14 at 01:31 PM.

German? Slavic? These languages are pain in the ass to listen for those who don't know them. English, French and Greek are simply superior in terms of sounding.

I am a bit biased towards English. If I had to make a non-biased selection here, I would go for Greek. It sounds awesome.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2016-05-14 at 01:30 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    A Prussian king once said, " I speak French to my enemies, Italian to my friends, Spanish to the women and German to my troops.

Personally I enjoy listening to the Japanese speak. Not sure why, but it is entertaining. Esp. when they are excited.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    German? Slavic? These languages are pain in the ass to listen for those who don't know them. English, French and Greek are simply superior in terms of sounding.

I am a bit biased towards English. If I had to make a non-biased selection here, I would go for Greek. It sounds awesome.