Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashkiman View Post
    Could you tell me what's really going on then?
    over the last half year, there have been terrorist attack in Israel almost daily.
    before that, there were rockets shot at israel civilian cities. (including over my head) daily.
    Palestinian people are very happy to come work/get treated in hospitals in israel.
    I personally worked in the borders allowing Palestinians into israel (that was 9 years ago though when i was in the army).

The only palastinians who die, are those who attack in terror attack. and even then, the order is to not kill them.

this is what really goes on, you can choose to believe it or not. but i'm talking from personal experience with what's going on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by enragedgorilla View Post
    Assed up over cartoons.(Sounds familiar)

Spin on crazy world...spin on.

Free speech/Expression...it ain't always pretty,nice or fun.
    i'm not against freedom of speech, but i'm using mine, to show you what Iran is promoting.
    they can do whatever they want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozles View Post
    it's ludicrously easy to think that, though. Ahmadinejad's comments on the Holocaust weren't exactly disputed by the country. or, more recently, Khamenei questioning the "veracity" of the Holocaust.

this one event may have been jaded by the OP, but please don't act like Iran's comments and stance on the Holocaust aren't crystal clear.
    Oh, no doubt there is a portion of Iran and its administration who deny the Holocaust. That is true pretty much everywhere, even here in the United States. That isn't what these cartoons are about. They just share the same name.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    That isn't at all what they're doing. You're making it up.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...enial-39112691
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...on_Competition

The idea is to deride double-standards in Western media, not to deny the Holocaust ever happened.
    Right, it's all about that...

Many of the works portrayed Israel as using the Holocaust to distract from the suffering of the Palestinians, and many compared Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to Adolf Hitler.
    The contest was organized by non-governmental bodies with strong support from Iran's hard-liners, who were opposed to the nuclear deal and are against taking further steps to improve ties with the West.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    None of those are denial.

Quote Originally Posted by Notter View Post
    over the last half year, there have been terrorist attack in Israel almost daily.
    before that, there were rockets shot at israel civilian cities. (including over my head) daily.
    Palestinian people are very happy to come work/get treated in hospitals in israel.
    I personally worked in the borders allowing Palestinians into israel (that was 9 years ago though when i was in the army).

The only palastinians who die, are those who attack in terror attack. and even then, the order is to not kill them.

this is what really goes on, you can choose to believe it or not. but i'm talking from personal experience with what's going on.
    Are you telling me Israel never attacks Palestine?

Oh, no doubt there is a portion of Iran and its administration who deny the Holocaust. That is true pretty much everywhere, even here in the United States. That isn't what these cartoons are about. They just share the same name.
    this is apples and oranges, though. it's not a "portion" of the government in Iran that deny it ever happened. when the "Supreme Leader" of your country begins to question whether or not it was as bad as history indicates, there's an issue. we can begin comparing it to the United States when one of two things happen: one, a sitting President begins to make Holocaust denial comments, or two, Holocaust denial begins to be an accepted and, often times embraced line of thinking.

the OP's description of the cartoons may have been inaccurate, but comparing Holocaust denial in Iran to the US in terms of the "[portion] of the government" that believe its true is equally as false and offensive. let's not go down that road.

what, no trigger warning?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashkiman View Post
    Are you telling me Israel never attacks Palestine?
    Palestine continually pokes the bear and whines when the bear swipes back. Israel is guilty of using excessive force when hitting back.

both sides are equally to blame for the continued conflict in the region.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any country that has a "supreme leader" or "beloved leader" or any shit of that sort is fucked, so nothing to see here.

I bet plain Iranians would be only too happy to drag down those old farts in dresses and lop their heads off.

because that is mocking a fictional character, as opposed to mocking something in our history where 6 million jews were killed.
    also, because we don't worry about Americans starting to kill muslims, and we ARE worried about Iran deciding to attack Israel.
    Americans have been killing Muslims for decades...

Which is the more likely scenario? Iran decides to attack Israel, ensuring that their entire country will be obliterated.

Israel uses espionage and covert terrorism to attack Iran?

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozles View Post
    one is about mocking an imaginary man in the sky and being artistically edgy against radicals, the other is mocking a genocide in which many believe didn't happen in the country.

it's ok to be critical of the Middle East, friend-o.
    Muhammad is not an imaginary man in the sky. He's a historical figure if you want to address it from a non-muslim point of view.

because that is mocking a fictional character, as opposed to mocking something in our history where 6 million jews were killed.
    also, because we don't worry about Americans starting to kill muslims, and we ARE worried about Iran deciding to attack Israel.
    1. It's not a fictional character. If he was a fictional character Islam and muslims wouldn't exist.
    2. Is "our history" more important than someone else's history? You do realize that when they make cartoons mocking Muhammad they are mocking a keystone to the way of life of 1.5 billion people on the world? Just like the Holocaust is something very important and integral for Jewish identity, so is Muhammad to muslim identity. It's not up to us to decide what's important enough to be immune from mockery and what is not. If we do, we shouldn't complain when others do the same from their point of view. The cartoons at this exhibition seem to be purely focused on addressing a political issue which is the oppression of Palestinians at the hand of Zionists/Israeli's, and they use the Holocaust for that because it's a sensitive subject for the oppressing party and is bound to draw a lot of attention from the rest of the world.

Sure, Israel has never bombed locations in Palestine that caused the loss of civilian lives.

15+ Year Old Account
    Can´t be worried about something that is pretty certain, you´re right. /s

Mocking a fictional character upsetting millions, totally fine.

Mocking an historical event, no never!

How do you feel about antisemite caricature contest?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

If people want to be outraged, that's on them. I don't care if someone wants to host a cartoon exhibit mocking Israel or the Holocaust, but it does make them assholes. It also makes people assholes when they host an exhibit of cartoons mocking Muhammed. Just because someone is an asshole, does not mean they deserve to be the target of violence. Surprise, most governments, and a fair-sized segment of every country are assholes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    taking a shit on Israel is one of the fastest and easiest ways for a country to gather local support in the middle east. Iranian hardliners are the most vocal group supporting Syria's Assad and the Hezbollah, nor Hamas nor Hezbollah will maintain their close ties with Iran if Iran suddently stops the rhetoric and starts to warm up to Israel.

In their narrative, these "resistance movements" are there to counter Israel's regional ambitions, while in truth Iran uses that narrative to maintain it's regional support and gather various regional militias and powers behind it's back. because without that narrative those local groups will find little ground to unite with a shia powerhouse.

lately that seems to have changed and the narrative is starting to look alot more like a shia vs. sunni fight. so not alot of sunni factions want to group up with Iran, But that doesn't mean sunni powerhouses are united against Iran either. Saudi Arabia and Turkey follow different goals in Syria and thus, while they both want Assad gone, they have different visions for post-Assad Syria and that prevents them from forming a united front against Iran.

SA lead a failed campaign to route the Houthis from Yemen not because Iran was behind Houthis but because a Houthi-led Yemen would certainly try to find allies within the region who are not aligned with Saudi-Arabia...and there's only one regional power in the middle east that fits that criteria.

it's all connected, If you're the leader of Iran, and you have a base support of hardliners in the region because you managed to piss off the moderates and the reformists, you wouldn't risk losing your support among hardliners to appease the other factions who may or may not align themselves with you. Khamenei is a hardliner and a conservative whether he tries to hide it or not, and lately he's been losing alot of support in Iran following the nuclear deal. why do you think there's a missle test whenever some pro-reform news fills the air?

"Nuclear deal signed! reformists and moderates win!" followed by "Iran test fires new ballistic missles (with a new paint job and a new fancy name) rumored to reach Israel!"

"Moderates and Reformists gain alot of Majles seats!" followed by "Iran tests a new rocket with "Israel must be wiped off the map" tag on it"

Who do you think funds and supports this cartoon contest? a very small, vocal but still powerful conservative faction within Iran. they could've easily chosen another name for it but they chose to go with the most provocative name possible for maximum negative propaganda effect. Hardliners are pushing hard to undermine reformists and moderates with every chance they get. but if you cut through the propaganda you see a desperate faction trying to feel relevant again in a country that is trying to move forward.

EDIT : I don't really care about Israel and Palestine, w/e happens there it's up to the people of that country to solve their issues.
    Last edited by Gamevizier; 2016-05-15 at 03:56 PM.

I see little if any problem with this.

I support Israel.

Israel has contributed to the world with science, culture, history, technology, and is the only modern multiparty democracy in the middle East.

Palestinians (made up people) have contributed nothing to the world besides terrorism, and whining.

They should give them the whole Gaza strip, wall it off, and refuse to help them in any way.

No Israeli water, electricity, medical aid, food...nothing.

Let them fend for themselves.

Palestinians remind me of warhammer 40k orks

10+ Year Old Account
    Over the weekend Iran convened a special Holocaust-denial cartoon contest.
    I raise this here because it must be understood what Israel's problem with Iran is.
    They draw things you don't like? Cry me a river....

Iran denies and belittles the Holocaust while it prepares for another Holocaust.
    How is it "preparing" for another Holocaust?

They are raising a generation of Nazis. not even ironically.
    I don't think you know what that word means.

and yet.. the world is happy to allow them to have nuclear weapons..
    So we had economic sanctions on Iran for no reason then?
    Last edited by Templar 331; 2016-05-15 at 04:42 PM.

Deleted
    Never forget the six trillion that died.

Quote Originally Posted by Starquake View Post
    Never forget the six trillion that died.
    I believe it was six quadrillion.

None of those are denial.
    Your version of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...on_Competition is different than mine it seem.

"Derkaoui's winning cartoon differed from many of the runners-up, in that it did not deny the Holocaust; instead, it used the Holocaust to make a comparison between the actions of Nazi Germany and the current actions of the Israeli government."

Which implicitly states that several of the other competitors were anti-Semitic and/or holocaust-denying. But judge for yourself at:
    http://irancartoon.ir/news/archives/...1/post_586.php
    I might be mistaken but claiming that Faurisson was responsible for knocking down the myth of the gas-chambers is holocaust-denial.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    A new wave of anti-semetics, not actual nazis... But yeah, it's... Scary to put it mildly. About as freaky as all the pro-Hitler stuff in India.
    Well, Iran got its current name 'Land of the Aryans' during the time of the Nazis, and Nazi Germany were at least ok with that name-change.